| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

looks like that note might be set to friends-only

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh Dynah, Im sorry to hear this.

I dont know whats worse right now. Being flooded and with no power or being snowed in with no power. West Virginia has almost three feet of snow on the ground and its not supposed to stop snowing for another 24 hours! This is the most disasterous storm ever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

GraciaKai wrote:

I dont know whats worse right now. Being flooded and with no power or being snowed in with no power. West Virginia has almost three feet of snow on the ground and its not supposed to stop snowing for another 24 hours! This is the most disasterous storm ever.

It's certainly bad, and may be the most expensive and most inconvenient storm for the most people, but thanks to advance warning and preparedness, the loss of life is not going to begin to approach that of Katrina or ther storms.

As bad as it is for many people, we at least have that. Power can be restored, piers can be rebuilt, beaches can be fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

supercarrot wrote:
looks like that note might be set to friends-only

Ok. Well, anyone who's friends w/ me on FB, feel free to find it on my wall and share it! Otherwise, all the necessary info is at http://tinyurl.com/nick-ventilator and feel free to contact me (but you should prob get in touch with them if you want to help).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
I dont know whats worse right now. Being flooded and with no power or being snowed in with no power.

definitely flooded and no power. at least snow doesn't flow into your house and it also doesn't conduct electricity like water does (downed wires and all)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Anyone have any idea how New Haven, CT did? My mother is power-out til Nov 5, at least that's the prediction- several trees and lines down on the road that connects her to her town as well as, in the opposite direction, the highway out. My brother is in New Haven and he's my communication link to my mom in NJ, but I'm not getting any word from him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Dynah, it is public now. I know I'm far away but I shared it anyway in the off chance that other people would share it and it would eventually be seen by someone that could help x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 am 
protein lump

torque wrote:
Anyone have any idea how New Haven, CT did? My mother is power-out til Nov 5, at least that's the prediction- several trees and lines down on the road that connects her to her town as well as, in the opposite direction, the highway out. My brother is in New Haven and he's my communication link to my mom in NJ, but I'm not getting any word from him.

i couldn't say for 100% sure, but i think new haven did about as well as any other place in CT - lots of wind, not as much rain. lots of downed trees/ loss of power.

if by some ridiculous chance you don't hear from him by next week, we're driving down on wednesday/thursday.

it's frustrating having little to no contact with everyone.

my grandmother and most of my mother's family all live in wva. so.much.snow. my grandma lost power for a little while, but they're back up and trying to just keep warm and hope some of the snow melts before winter shows up. blarg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

It's certainly bad, and may be the most expensive and most inconvenient storm for the most people, but thanks to advance warning and preparedness, the loss of life is not going to begin to approach that of Katrina or ther storms.

As bad as it is for many people, we at least have that. Power can be restored, piers can be rebuilt, beaches can be fixed.

You are right. I just cant believe how huge it is and how many states are being impacted in various ways.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

daisychain wrote:
Dynah, it is public now. I know I'm far away but I shared it anyway in the off chance that other people would share it and it would eventually be seen by someone that could help x

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

esme wrote:
torque wrote:

i couldn't say for 100% sure, but i think new haven did about as well as any other place in CT - lots of wind, not as much rain. lots of downed trees/ loss of power.

if by some ridiculous chance you don't hear from him by next week, we're driving down on wednesday/thursday.

it's frustrating having little to no contact with everyone.

my grandmother and most of my mother's family all live in wva. so.much.snow. my grandma lost power for a little while, but they're back up and trying to just keep warm and hope some of the snow melts before winter shows up. blarg.

Where in WV are your family? Mine are in the Wheeling area, so only rain. My dad has a friend in Braxton Co. near Sutton, WV, who had 24 inches yesterday, and it was still snowing. The expected 3 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am 
protein lump

they're in tucker county. about 40 miles from the border of maryland on either side. right smack in the appalachians. i think they're right around 3 feet, too. it's insane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I just heard from my brother, he said things in New Haven were fine, didn't even lose power.
I also talked to a colleague a little closer to the city in CT and she said it was a big mess, so I think it depended a lot on elevation/situation.

My mother in northwest NJ did fine, a tree fell in her yard [her nightmare, she has a lot of really tall elderly trees], taking down a power line but mercifully missing the house/people. Lots of trees fallen across major roads in the town (this is same town as For The Animals Sanctuary, for those who know it) and not much action yet, but nearly everyone has a chainsaw up there and lots of heavy machinery, and road access is mostly fine already. Now it's just wait for the electric company to come up and make repairs.
Esme, thanks for your kind offer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I accompanied my sister and her boyfriend to the lower east side tonight to drop off generators (ridiculous) to their store, and it was terrifying. No lights after you cross half of the Williamsburg bridge, nearly pitch black in the area, no skyline besides the Empire state building, and lots of crazies out. Stay clear. My heart goes out to the folks without power there (and everywhere else).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm in manhattan (with power, thank god) and walking around today was surreal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm kinda near the jersey shore, though an icky part (right across from staten island) and the shoreline in my town was totally destroyed. (perth amboy and sewaren) I just lost half the siding on one side of my house and a section of fence fell down. We lost power for about 6 hours, then it came back on- apparently we are the only lucky block in my town to have it for some reason. I've been out of work for 3 days, tomorrow offices are finally open but my boss said I can work from home so I think I'll take her up since I work an hour away.

My father lives in Brick, NJ - near Pt. Pleasant - on a lagoon. His garage & backyard were flooded, probably destroying his SUV, two refrigerators, a generator, and a new deck they just had put in. He had to be rescued from the area by canoe. He has no idea if his dry-docked boat survived yet.

Everything I've heard from my friends around Toms River say it is like a war zone.

All in all this has been a very scary experience, but as horrible as it is, and as bad as I feel about the destruction of Seaside Heights and all my childhood haunts, it could be worse. I'm glad everyone I know is still alive. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in a category 2, 3, 4 or my god, 5.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 am 
protein lump

my friend's parents have a beach house in lavalette. they haven't been able to get there to check it out themselves, but they've seen video from lavalette and ortley beach and are pretty much expecting it to be destroyed. same with another friend whose parents have a house in point pleasant. so sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 am 

at least it's not their primary house.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am 
protein lump

well, yes, but it's a family house that has been there for generations, it certainly could have been worse, but it still forking blows. and there are actual people who live in lavalette and ortley beach year-round. they have family that live in lavalette who were told they couldn't go back for 3 months.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:47 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I walked six miles from Brooklyn to Midtown today. The MTA is running a shuttle bus, but it's pretty much the only way for Brooklynites to get to Manhattan right now, so the line had all of the people in it. Like, sooooooo many all of the people. I was all "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA--" (shock cut to walking across the Manhattan Bridge at a leisurely pace.)

I don't really want to walk home again or take the stupid bus, so I guess I live here now. I will miss you, Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

can you take the east river ferry out of midtown? you'd still have to bus home from dumbo, but it might not be as bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Do they let Republicans in Brooklyn? How do you feel about Mayor Bloomberg supporting Obama? (/threadjack)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

acr wrote:
can you take the east river ferry out of midtown? you'd still have to bus home from dumbo, but it might not be as bad.

You know, that's an idea.

ndpittman wrote:
Do they let Republicans in Brooklyn? How do you feel about Mayor Bloomberg supporting Obama? (/threadjack)

The People's Republik of Brooklyn doesn't let Republicans in, but remember that I wasn't a Republican when I moved here. I mean, I didn't know I was a Republican yet. Anyway, now is not a time for politically motivated recrimination, so I'll wait a few days before telling you that Michael "Sippy Cup" Bloomberg sucks 16 fluid ounces of trans fat for endorsing Barack Obama Barry Soetoro Frank Marshall, Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I can't imagine being in the back of this line for the bus and actually expecting to get anywhere. http://instagram.com/p/RfTaDNykQP/

Sorry NYCers. :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm 

can you sleep in the lunch room?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next