| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Halloween@RestOfTheWorld: Meh or Yay?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm 
WRETCHED

coldandsleepy wrote:
We had over a hundred kids come to our house in an hour last year, at which point we ran out of candy. Our street is only 3 blocks long but it's got a nice dead end so it feels safe I guess. I think it's the front edge of the residential part of the east side of SC too so we get all the kids who are just starting their trick or treat maybe.

That might be why we get a lot. We live in a townhome community, where there are bunches of townhomes off the main street but our street doesn't go through. Although really, less than half of the people on my street give out candy.

Chard Martyr

i wish kids would come to our building! in this post storm time, i kind of want to sit on my stoop with a bowl of candy, but, alas, it's cold out!

Profile WWW  

No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

daisychain wrote:
Actually, what shocks me is the ages American kids trick or treat until! Here once you reach double digits then it is seriously uncool. I saw a big group of 9 and 10 year old boys a few minutes ago and they were heading off to the GAA field for some Hurling. (that's an Irish sport played with a stick). It's really only 4-6 year olds here. I think I only ever went trick or treating twice when I was younger.

we want our free candy and we want it now. i would still trick or treat if i thought i could get away with it (or if anyone would give me anything i could eat).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

acr wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Actually, what shocks me is the ages American kids trick or treat until! Here once you reach double digits then it is seriously uncool. I saw a big group of 9 and 10 year old boys a few minutes ago and they were heading off to the GAA field for some Hurling. (that's an Irish sport played with a stick). It's really only 4-6 year olds here. I think I only ever went trick or treating twice when I was younger.

we want our free candy and we want it now. i would still trick or treat if i thought i could get away with it (or if anyone would give me anything i could eat).

:lol:

Well my starburst are turning out to be popular!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

daisychain wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with t-o-ting beyond double digits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 pm 
WRETCHED

Well when I was growing up, I don't remember people trick or treating with their babies but now they do. You see adults with babies under 1 trick or treating. I'm like really? But I don't care, I'll give them candy. I'll also give the 16 your olds candy but they generally show up later in the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want trick-or-treaters so bad but it totally won't happen because I live in an apartment on a busy street...we have our own front door and stuff but still. Buying candy just in case and I think the kids I nanny for will stop by anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
Well when I was growing up, I don't remember people trick or treating with their babies but now they do. You see adults with babies under 1 trick or treating. I'm like really? But I don't care, I'll give them candy. I'll also give the 16 your olds candy but they generally show up later in the evening.

Under 1.... hmmmm yeah.... the sweets are realllly for the kid! haha! I got jelly tots for any of the really young ones because there are some 2-3yr olds that call. I have crisps incase any older ones over 10 call but I doubt it any will be around. They are more into the bonfire side of things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

daisychain wrote:

i think what happens here in the US is kids get to that age of like 11-12ish and decide dressing up isnt cool anymore for a few years then when they're teenagers they are like "f this let's go get free candy!!" :lol:

i remember going once in high school. my costume was super pathetic. i played field hockey in school so i just put my field hockey uniform on and painted my face white and said i was a dead field hockey player :roll:

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

I t-o-ted until I was 19. The last 2-3 years I was raising money for Unicef, though. For like, 7 years I couldn't actually eat any of the candy because I was vegan so I'd grab all of the vegan stuff from the bag and give the non-vegans my candy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 pm 
WRETCHED

I think I personally stopped around 12. I can't remember but I only remember cholos trying to trick or treat when they were in high school

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm 
Impressive boner

Before now I hadn't lived in any houses that were accessible to trick-or-treaters for quite some time. Tonight I bought sweeties and lollipops and put on my zombie attire. I think I shocked the three children who just visited!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I trick or treated straight through my first year of college! But from maybe 14 on, I went with the excuse of taking my little brothers and didn't collect candy for myself. I just forking love dressing up and going out and seeing everyone's decorations and stuff. I've only not dressed up at all twice (month after my first kid was born, and then when I was like 8 months pregnant with the second.)

This is the first year I'm taking my kid (3, and verrrry into it) door to door and we're only just going to go down a block and back but I'm still psyched to be trick or treating again!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

daisychain wrote:

What could ever be uncool about ending up with a giant sack of candy?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I was a child, we trick or treated in February, the Sunday preceding Mardi Gras. We collected chicken eggs and money. Of course, we preferred money. I stopped when I was 9.

Today, most children still trick or treat in February, but, because of globalisation they're also starting to do it on Halloween, twice a year. I don't think they ever ask for candy, only money. I haven't had any such visitors yet.

Halloween is one of the rare holidays that doesn't get on my nerves. I like pumpkins and I like anything that peas of the Catholic church.

I envy all of you who live in buildings without children. I'm looking for something like that here, but no luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 pm 
WRETCHED

rhelune wrote:
I envy all of you who live in buildings without children. I'm looking for something like that here, but no luck.

It isn't that the buildings are without children but that parents don't find it worthwhile to trick or treat in apartment buildings for the most part. My husband and I used to live in a 4th story apartment and there were lots of kids in the apartment complex but no one really wanted to climb 4 flights of stairs to only find that someone wasn't home/not giving candy. So we never got trick or treaters.

So parents who live in apartments may drive their kids to areas where there are houses/townhomes to do trick or treating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

monkeytoes wrote:
daisychain wrote:

What could ever be uncool about ending up with a giant sack of candy?!

I've no idea! It is wasted on the ones that are probably too young to remember it when they are older! Where I grew up it wasn't safe to be out in the dark without a parent and my parents were lazy crassholes. One year I went out some teens tried to set me on fire then a few years later I finally got brave enough to try again I got a bucket of water dumped on me and it ruined everything I had collected.

It is only the past 3 or 4 years that people have started putting up decorations for it. I've no idea why over 10's don't go for it. I think the oldest that called to my door tonight was maybe 9 or 10 and he really seemed like he didn't want to be there at all. It was like his mother decided to bring him around and he had no option at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

We just had 8 trick or treaters! It was awesome! I am almost out of stuff to give away now though!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

daisychain, I'm with you! I won't give candy to older kids. I'll only treat you if you're a little kid. If you're a greasy-faced teenage boy wearing regular clothes and a crappy plastic mask, no way! Maaaybe I'd give candy to older folks who really tried hard with their costume, but I have yet to see those folks trick-or-treating.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I nearly cried giving my last packet of starburst away. I really wanted some. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I get annoyed by teenage trick-or-treaters, ESPECIALLY out of costume, but I'm not a big enough jerk to tell them they can't have any candy, even though I want to. I think you should probably go do something else after middle school age. Get drunk or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Haaa. I've totally said no. Well, more like, "NO WAY! You're too old for this. *laugh* This candy is for kids. Have fun!"
My co-op student is going out tonight. She's 18. She doesn't have a costume.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, and they know us, so we expect trick or treaters (and had several last year.) I'm not one for enforcing rules - I mean, we can get vegan candies cheap at the dollar store. So unless we're running out, I'll give candy to anyone. Halloween is supposed to be sort of impish, so let the kids think they're getting away with something, I say.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

creep wrote:
I get annoyed by teenage trick-or-treaters, ESPECIALLY out of costume, but I'm not a big enough jerk to tell them they can't have any candy, even though I want to. I think you should probably go do something else after middle school age. Get drunk or something.

I'm too afraid that If I denied the un-costumed teens candy, they'd egg my house or something! My mom always says "this year, it will be 'no costumes, no candy'!" but we never go through with it. We get lots of little kids without costumes too. It's like no one makes any effort anymore. Mostly we get families who drive up in their car, and then they all come to the door, grown-ups included, and hold out pillowcases (yes, the parents beg for candy too!). And then they get back in the car and drive to the next house. We hardly ever get kids walking door-to-door anymore. I don't know if that's a safety thing or a lazy thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've turned all the lights off in the front of the house and am drinking beer on my own. We did carve pumpkins, though, but we always have done that. The dressing up business is for parties only...

Although I was invited to a party, I'm trying not to overdo it because I'm going back to Lewes this weekend for Bonfire and I need to fortify myself for shenanigans.

It's half eight and no trick-or-treating has happened thus far. I think we only got about two groups last year (when the lights were on).

I just had a weird flashback to when I was little and we had a Canadian lodger and she asked if we were going trick or treating and then had to explain what it was...

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next