| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Halloween@RestOfTheWorld: Meh or Yay?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We do not get nearly as many kids as we used to, but our neighborhood was brand new 25 years ago and we were all kids then. Now those kids are all gone, so unless their kids stop in we hardly have anyone. I'm working until 8 so I'll miss most, if not all, of it, boo!

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Any trick or treating in these parts usually happens on St Martin's day, the 11th of November. The kids don't dress up a lot, but they have lanterns and go door to door singing special songs in return for candy. We may get 3 or 4 kids from our apartment building. If we forget to buy candy, we'll need to keep the lights off or run the risk of being bombarded with shaming songs about how skimpy we are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Saint Martin's day is drunk drivers' holiday here :roll:

In Austria kids dressed as 3 wise men (often more than 3) trick or treat on 6th of January.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm 
WRETCHED

Cornelie wrote:
If we forget to buy candy, we'll need to keep the lights off or run the risk of being bombarded with shaming songs about how skimpy we are.

This makes me laugh more than it should.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

We got another one! This years been out best year for trick or treaters ever!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We didn't have any kids come around this year. Not that we ever get many- I think we had one last year, and my parents usually get a couple. A friend of mine posted on Facebook that some parents on her street left notes with a big picture of a pumpkin on them in the mailboxes of everyone on their street, saying to cut out the pumpkin and hang it from their front door if they wanted to take part in trick or treating. That way the kids would have fun, but they wouldn't bother people who didn't want to participate. I thought that was a really cute idea.

Halloween here is mostly just about parties. Some friends of ours used to host the most amazing Halloween parties in this old church that they lived in, and everyone would spend months working on their costumes. But they got evicted last year, so no more Halloween. I miss it, just because I loved making my costume and seeing how much effort everyone had gone to. I should just sit around my house in my Bioshock costume from the last party, feeling sorry for myself. Halloween makes me want to move to America!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I got excited because our new neighbor across the street had their porch light on so I thought they'd be a candy giving house but then they put it off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just saw the first dressed up kid walking down the street, and they passed right by us. The light is on and the door is open! What the H.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

creep wrote:
Just saw the first dressed up kid walking down the street, and they passed right by us. The light is on and the door is open! What the H.

Hahahaha. You should chase the kid down. "HEY KID! Get back here and take your freakin' candy!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

When I lived in Hong Kong, we had a handful of trick-or-treaters, but the thing was that half of them didn't have costumes. They... kinda didn't *get* how Halloween works. Give me a show in exchange for this sugary snack, small human!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

We had 5 groups of kids, mostly age 4-10 I'd say. Then we went to the pub and a couple of lads (14ish) not wearing costumes came up to us while we were walking on the street and started saying "trick or treat, trick or treat" in a slightly menacing way. I actually had some sweets in my pocket so I gave them to them. Funny, I accidentally dropped one of the sweets and the lad I was handing them to was going to be scrambling around on the wet floor for it. Took all the menace away!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

10 trick or treaters. 10. At least I'll have candy to put out at my party next week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

I ended up at work late and my biker boy plans have gone wonky so I will only be home for 20 minutes or so. Guess I will have lots of candy left over! Oh well, chances are only a couple of kids would have shown up anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

dropscone wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
They literally bus kids in to my cute safe little neighborhood. Our neighborhood is so quaint it has a Halloween Parade and the kids all meet at one house dressed up first and go on a parade around the neighborhood. The fire chief lives a couple houses down from me and a firetruck leads the procession. The first year we lived here we gave out $120+ in candy and ran out early. Now we give out a little candy to the younger kids who come out early and then go out to dinner.
I want to move to your neighbourhood!
Is your town called Bedford Falls, perchance?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 pm 
WRETCHED

We had about 80 kids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Erinnerung wrote:
my Bioshock costume

PLEASE tell me you have a pic of this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cornelie wrote:
Any trick or treating in these parts usually happens on St Martin's day, the 11th of November. The kids don't dress up a lot, but they have lanterns and go door to door singing special songs in return for candy. We may get 3 or 4 kids from our apartment building. If we forget to buy candy, we'll need to keep the lights off or run the risk of being bombarded with shaming songs about how skimpy we are.

we did that when we were little, but here in Hamburg the kids will go with their lanterns, usually organized by schools/kindergartens and sing in the street while walking. but yeah, we went from house to house for the candy!

and this cracked me up, like so: :lol:

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Give me a show in exchange for this sugary snack, small human!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We live in a small neighborhood (20-30 houses, tops) and I was so disappointed at the amount of lights on last night! I saw like maybe 5? The husband and me realized if we even went around our neighborhood it only made sense to drive because participating houses were so far apart. I feel a little hypocritical, though, because our light was out most of the night because we were out with the kid. However, a big chunk of our neighbors are retirees, so I'm guessing they weren't out with the kids. When I'm retired (hell, just when I'm not taking my own out for the night) I'm going to drench my house and yard up in awesome decorations, dress up in elaborate handmade costumes and give out fork loads of candy to everyone in costume. And maybe cupcakes, too. But a single starlight mint to cheaters not dressed up.

I also found a terrific place to take kid next year. There's a main street in the neighboring downtown where there's plenty of business parking and nearby well decorated houses all connected via sidewalk. the husband and me had traded out the kid to go out alone, but it looked like the old-fashioned Halloween that I remember...big groups of kids WALKING from door to door. Which now I'm weird about shipping out elsewhere to take my kid because some friends live in a neighborhood that gets flooded at Halloween and they get pissy because the kids who come are from outside the neighborhood...they even said something really mean about it. As someone who never lived in any sort of actual neighborhood as a kid (and as a mom in a non-participative 'hood) it really bothered me. Hell, I want to live in a neighborhood where everyone brings their kids for Halloween.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
If we forget to buy candy, we'll need to keep the lights off or run the risk of being bombarded with shaming songs about how skimpy we are.

This makes me laugh more than it should.

YES! I think I would give out shitty candy just to hear the songs. And reward the bad behavior by giving full sized bags of skittles after the shaming song.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Man, apparently, we ran out of candy at my house. I was doing a get out the vote canvass for work so I missed all the trick or treaters here. I was really surprised by the number of Halloween grinches I saw canvassing. People in that neighborhood where either REALLY into it (music, decorations, costumes) or hiding with all their lights off. I felt really bad because the BEST house -which seemed to have a haunted house set up in an old Victorian - was not on my map, so I couldn't stop. The creepy buttler on the front pitch was making sad moaning sounds when I walked by, trying to get my attention.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

We had something like 200 trick or treaters in about 2 hours, when we ran out of candy. Things kept going for some time after that. Some of my neighbors really went all out... It kind of makes more sense to me now why so many people come from other places to go down our street!

From an adult pov, I found it really interesting to take my kid door to door-- I got to meet many of my neighbors I'd never met before, tell them how much we've enjoyed their decorations the past few weeks, pet their dogs (oh man, so many cute dogs!), etc. It kinda made me wish there was something like TOT for adults.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am 
WRETCHED

There were a lot of cheaters last night, I was kind of surprised at how many cheaters but some really good costumes. An owl costume was my favorite.

Some kids wore sweat shirts with characters on them like Angry Birds. Yeah, a sweat shirt isn't a costume but whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had 6-7 small groups and a couple individuals. One of the moms asked if we'd had many trick-or-treaters and said they hadn't either. This is our first Halloween in this neighborhood, but that made it sound like there are usually more. I gave her kid like four huge fistfuls of candy, because it was getting late and we still had a ton left. We still do, actually. dangit.