| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

all this Halloween talk is making me remember Halloween of days of yore.

long before i had any interest in any type of music i seem to remember dressing up as a punk several times. maybe it was because i was a kid in the 80s? maybe it was because it was fun to put on weird shiitake and spray my hair different colors.

other than that i dont remember many costumes but my mom used to make us costumes and i think i had been a bunny and a princess at some point.
i think when i was a little older i tried to be dice....well a die. i tried to make it out of a box and i remember it being a huge pain

punk definitely was my most frequent costume. id say like 3ish years i did that.

Post subject: Re: what was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I won a costume contest at school in 7th grade? I was a devil, wore all red but had this cool red wig. I was thinking about that red wig the other day.

One of my other favorites is we had a costume contest at school when I was younger than that, maybe 4th grade. We were given supplies and told to make a costume at school. I was a robot, made out of paper bags. I really liked that costume. I didn't win the contest though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just remembered the first time i met my husband was at a halloween party in college.

i had a friend who everyone thought was my twin (to this day i have no idea why, we have a resemblance but more like cousins rather than twins)

anywho we dressed up as twins with fairy wings for some reason and i was the "evil twin" and wore all black. i was dragged against my will to the fraternity that her boyfriend was in and then my future husband proceeded to geekily follow me around all night like a weirdo stalker.

ahhh memories.

i just sent him this email

"Hey I just remembered we met on Halloween.
Sucker :-P"

hahahahaha im such a good wife ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My mom dressing me up Pebbles from The Flintstones. I even have photographic evidence. But it's in a mismashed photo my mom scanned because she thought I was precious.

AND JUST FOR THE RECORD
Underneath this post my mom made on facebook, I immediately commented " all these photos are so racist, it's lucky that I didn't go that route even though you were grooming me for it"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i dressed up as cyndi lauper when i was 7. i remember crying just before we went out because i had a plastic fruit necklace almost exactly like the one she's wearing on the cover of she's so unusual, and i couldn't find it anywhere, but then i found it, and everything was o.k. i also got really upset when my parents refused to shave half of my head.

i can remember at least three halloweens when i wore store-bought costumes that consisted of something like a screen-printed trash bag and a plastic mask. one was a smurf, one was she-ra, and the third might have been wonder woman.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

It's between gypsy and Jedi. I was a Jedi of some form several years (in either fourth or fifth grade I was a gender-bent Luke Skywalker and my best friend was Leia, and for some reason, no one was bothered by this the way they would be now), and I was also a gypsy a lot. My mom had this bright patterned skirt that I desperately wanted so I would wear it whenever I possibly could, which was basically just Halloween, and then I'd put on pretty much every single piece of jewelry I could find in the house, and scarves EVERYWHERE. I had so much fun with that.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When I was 4 or 5 my mom sewed me a Donatello Ninja Turtles outfit. That's gotta be my fav simply because my mom made it. When I was like 10 I went as Freddy Kruger and had to use all this liquid latex stuff to get the face just right. THAT was cool, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

acr wrote:
i dressed up as cyndi lauper when i was 7. i remember crying just before we went out because i had a plastic fruit necklace almost exactly like the one she's wearing on the cover of she's so unusual, and i couldn't find it anywhere, but then i found it, and everything was o.k. i also got really upset when my parents refused to shave half of my head.

now that im reading that im thinking Cyndi Lauper may have been the inspiration behind my wacky clothes wearing and spraying my hair different colors. it was definitely that era and i remember i loved her!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My mom made my costume every year, so the one I was most excited about was my Queen of Hearts store-bought costume in grade 4. I was catwoman one year (grade 5, I think), that was a pretty good costume! Oddly, I remember my sister's costumes better than mine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm 
Impressive boner

We didn't really have much of a Halloween dress-up culture when I was a kid, the best I had was some plastic glow in the dark fangs and a black plastic bin liner for a cape.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

When my sister and I were really small, we were Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy on year, and Dressie Bessie and Dapper Dan another year. I was older so I always got to be the girl and made her be the boy. I don't remember many other kid ones except that I know I had a Casper mask. In high school, my girlfriends and I used to use the word "relish" the way the Smurfs used "smurf" so we dressed up as relish one year. My boyfriend brought us a single serving squeeze packet of relish from his work and we dyed the back of some pillowcases green and decorated the front like the relish packet with like "hold here" on one corner and "tear here" on another, an ingredients list and like a picture of a pickle or something. We thought it was super creative because, really, how many people have ever dressed up as relish for Halloween? I think the answer might be two.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

My mom made me the best Wonder Woman costume when I was little. She sewed a belt and cuffs and I had the Lasso of Truth made of gold piping. It was awesome. I used parts of that costume for playing dress-up for years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I dressed up as Robinson Crusoe when I was 11. /rad/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I pretty much rotated between witch and vampire. I remember a racist Native American costume and a mermaid costume at some point too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Homemade He-Man costume.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My sister and I had a Snow White costume that our momma sewed us. We loved it, but we were small kids and it took us a really long time to outgrow that costume. We did get tired of wearing it after awhile.

I also liked to dress up as Pippi Longstocking. My momma would cut open a wire hanger and thread it through my pigtail braids. The only problem with that was that I had to watch where I was going so that I didn't injure anyone with my braids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was a puppy in a box one year. I don't know why, but that's what I decided I wanted to be! I did facepaint up to look like a puppy and had felt ears glued to a headband. Then my mom helped me cut the bottom out of a box and put straps on it that went over my shoulders to hold it up. I wrote "FREE PUPPIES" on the box and I taped a bunch of my stuffed animal dogs on the inside so it looked like they were peering out of the box. I was so proud of that costume because I had thought it up and made it by myself (with a little help from my mom!) But when I went out trick-or-treating, every single person tried to toss candy into the box! I would hold out my treat bag and they would ignore it and try to throw candy into the box like it was some kind of carnival game. Of course the box had no bottom so all the candy fell through onto the ground. I spent all Halloween night scrambling to scoop up candy off the sidewalk. Still was my favorite costume, though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i was obsessed with gorillas when i was a kid. one year, my mom bought me a gorilla suit for halloween and i loved it, but it was really expensive, so i had to promise to wear it for two years. So, the second year, i wore the gorilla costume with a tall chef hat and an apron, just to mix it up a little. i was a weird kid!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:16 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I dressed up as Mr. Gumby from Monty Python one year. Maybe three people knew who I was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We had those masks with plastic apron types for the longest time. I guess we didn't need to see or breathe. I think my proudest "pull something out of your asparagus" costume was in 6th or 7th grade when I went as a tourist. I wore a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, brown socks pulled up to my knees with sandals, wore a camera around my neck and walked around looking at a map the whole time. I think I had a bag and some kind of hat too. In high school I was super lazy/broke, but I had a red polo shirt and red baseball cap my dad had just gotten from a vendor so I pinned my hair up and taped "burger world" logos on the hat and shirt and went as Butthead. I wasn't smart enough to make someone go as Beavis but it was better than wearing my school uniform that day.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

One year, my best friend and I finished trick-or-treating really early and didn't get much stuff, so we decided to change costumes and make another round. I think I may have been a vampire for at least one of my costumes and can't remember if it was my first or second (and I can't remember the other one). My bff had a clown costume, so she decided to wear that. But since I'd used up all the white face paint for my vampire, she painted her face yellow and went as Jaundice the Clown. It was so amazing and hilarious that, when I got back in touch with another friend about 7 years after high school, he had used jaundistheclown as his email address (and he wasn't even there). Oh, I think we were 14 - perhaps a bit old for trick-or-treating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

my mom dressed me up as a butterfly when i was no more than a year old. i don't think i ever got any better than that.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Halloween wasn't a thing here when I was a kid. I was 16 when I first dressed up for Halloween and I was a slutty devil. Barf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

i remember being an upside down person one year (when i was 7 or 8, maybe). i wore a hoodie on my bottom half with the head stuffed with a pantyhose filled with grocery bags. on my head were sweat pants and i was supposed to hold my arms up to make it look like i was walking on my hands with my feet in the air. it was fun for a little bit, but i remember my arms really hurting by the end of the night.

as a young teen, maybe 13 or 14, i went as a bubble bath. i swear it was the best costume ever. i cut a hole out of the bottom of a box and covered the box with white paper, making sure to leave a ledge for bath beads, a bar of soap, and a rubber ducky. i filled the box with white tissue paper and bubble bath. underneath i just wore running shorts and a white tube top. on my head i wore a shower cap and flip flops on my feet. gosh, it was so (relatively) simple and so cool...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wore a poodle skirt for several years. I also think I wore my hippie costume and my witch costume more than once. Other costumes were mostly characters from whatever disney movie came out that year: my sister and I were both lions when the Lion King came out, Pocahontas, Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame . . . and when I was about six, my mom made me an awesome Darkwing Duck costume.