| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daily cleaning time
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

How long do you spend everyday cleaning? And how many people/animals/poltergeist are you cleaning up after? Including dishes and stuff, but I guess not laundry since that's mostly not active cleaning.

I'm trying to set myself on a daily cleaning schedule to become an adult and make my mom proud, but it's hard so I'm trying to just say "okay, self, if you spend __ minutes everyday cleaning up, you'll be in a good place in a few weeks and then can be one of those real people who dusts and shiitake"

I was doing 20 minutes but now it feels like I'm back at square one after cleaning for 20 minutes yesterday. This is mostly Chester and his inability to leave things that can be chewed into one million pieces in one piece. So maybe clean people need like 60 minutes.

Post subject: Re: Daily cleaning time
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm not working right now, so I clean a lot, but usually it's around 10-20 minutes. I have two cats, they get fur on everything and their toys are everywhere. We deep cleaned over the weekend because the in-laws came over on labor day- hoping to keep the place nice!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i live with 3 others, i usually clean in the morning. i spend maybe an hour a day... i do all the cleaning though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
And you never will.

I live with a husband and a two-year-old, neither of which know how to clean up after themselves. I also generate quite a few dishes because I cook all meals at home and run a baking business from home. So between washing dishes and general tidying and actual cleaning (like sweeping and cleaning the toilets and stuff), I spend probably an hour a day all said and done. A lot of it is spread out throughout the day though, like picking up toys all. day. long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My boyfriend works, and I just go to school but it's summer, so I end up doing all the cleaning in the summer because he's tired after work and I am in sit on the couch mode so we don't tend to clean after it gets dark out. My cleaning consists of dishes (never ending dishes, ugggh), taking out the garbage/compost, and just putting things back where they go because they somehow end up all over the house. I probably spend less than an hour cleaning every day. I always feel like I should be doing more. I should probably sweep and stuff. I rarely dust. I try to be grown up and clean but I really don't like chores. Folding laundry is my least favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Have you ever checked out Flylady? Its a really cute system to do little cleaning tasks that help you manage your house in minimal time. It seems goofy but it works!
http://www.flylady.net/

Apartment Therapy did something like that too.

I feel like I clean all the time, but that is because I live with 2 cats that shed like they're trying to reproduce asexually, a dog, a child that eats by flinging food across the room and an awesome husband who does all the vacuuming. But we never seem to have time to deepclean the bathroom or dust.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I do about an hour's worth every day. I'm definitely not a neat freak. I do dishes (which is the bulk of the work), clean off the counters, sometimes pick up the boyfriend's stray laundry, tidy up my own little nick-knacks/random things I leave lying around. My place is still pretty dirty because I tend to not want to sweep/mop or clean the toilet because cleaning a toilet that a boy uses is so icky!! (Pee splatter! Stuff of nightmares!!!) So when I actually do sweep/mop/clean the toilet, I feel like my place looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Inflexitarian

i have yet to time myself but i say about 30 mins each day. i only have myself to look after and so i clean as i go along.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i usually give my apartment (just me and a small dog) a thorough cleaning once a week-- scrubbing, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and usually one extra thing per week i wouldn't normally get around to doing-- and that takes about 2 hours. during the week it's mostly dishes and picking up the clothes off the floor that i can't seem to put away as i take them out...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:18 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

There are people who clean daily?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I live on my own and all I do every day is the dishes, maybe overall 10 minutes a day. Once a week I vacuum and put clothes away and do laundry, and every two weeks or so I clean the bathroom. I dust maybe once a year? Somehow I don't have many surfaces that collect dust.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Gar, you people who clean daily amaze me. I work ten-hour shifts and by the time I get home, make dinner and eat it, I have about three hours to myself before I fall asleep. I can't imagine spending a whole hour of that cleaning. I wish I did though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Right now it's just me and my cat. Every day I do dishes and just pick things up and put them were they belong, scoop the litter, etc....around 30 min. depending on how many dishes there are. Once a week I clean the bathroom and sweep (and mop, depending on how dirty my floor is). I'm amazed at how much easier it is to keep things neat and tidy when you don't live with someone else (my husband is living elsewhere right now for work).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 am 
And you never will.

papercuts wrote:
Gar, you people who clean daily amaze me. I work ten-hour shifts and by the time I get home, make dinner and eat it, I have about three hours to myself before I fall asleep. I can't imagine spending a whole hour of that cleaning. I wish I did though.

It's funny, before I had a kid I worked two jobs and felt like this. Now I would kill for three hours a day to myself, even if I spent all of them cleaning. KILL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I try to encourage my daughter to take 5 minutes every day to clean her room- make her bed, pick the clothes and makeup off the floor, etc.

Personally, I think that's about all I do on a regular basis daily. Not counting dishes, i guess, which are pretty much endless.
If the floor is gross i'll give it a sweep, but generally our cleaning is once a week. We moved to a really small house where I can give the house a good going-over in less than an hour (including floor and bathroom) if everyone's picked their shiitake up off the floor, so I don't really see a need to do it more than once a week when I could be working in the garden, making indian food, etc with the time i'd spend cleaning. (we also have fewer visitors since we moved to the sticks so i don't feel a need to keep the house ship-shape like i used to)

ETA: this is for me, my spouse and kid, and a really messy cockatiel. The dog stays outside in this mild weather; if he's inside i need to add sweeping the living room every day, since he's a shepherd mix and leaves a trail of fur wherever he goes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:32 am 
Semen Strong

poopiebitch wrote:
Now I would kill for three hours a day to myself, even if I spent all of them cleaning. KILL.

QFT. I had a day to myself two weekends ago because I was sick, and it was bliss. Mr T brought her in for feeding and I cooked dinner and fed us both, but even so, BLISS. I read all my back-issues of the New Yorker. BLISS.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
if he's inside i need to add sweeping the living room every day, since he's a shepherd mix and leaves a trail of fur wherever he goes.

do you have a furminator?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 am 
Married to the wolfman

I have a spouse, a 3 year old, and a baby. On Monday I have cleaning day, where I usually put in a good four hours of work. Then I probably spend 30-60 minutes straightening and doing disaster recovery every other day of the week.

20 minutes is better than 0 minutes. All the work I do on non-Monday days is to keep the house close enough to the baseline that I don't go nutso.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Last edited by coldandsleepy on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so glad there are other people who don't clean every day. i honestly didn't know there were people who did; true facts. the first handful of posts made me feel like such a bum. but i also don't consider things like washing dishes to be "cleaning"; dishes are their own horrible thing. cleaning = tidying/mopping/tile scrubbing in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:07 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oh yeah, I also definitely did not clean daily pre-children.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Sundays are Chore Day. That's the day we sweep, vacuum, clean the bathroom, clean up the dish pile, dust, defur the furniture, do laundry, change bed sheets, and whatever special projects need to be done related to apartment upkeep. The rest of the days, it's more maintenance than anything - running a duster over some furniture for a few minutes, spot cleaning kitchen floors, making the bed, wiping down counters, kittylittering. The cat hair on everything is mostly what I'm after, and no, my cats will not let me touch them with the furminator lest I want to lose at least one eye and possibly a limb. They won't even let me brush them, not even with treats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oh yeah, I also definitely did not clean daily pre-children.

Me neither.

It's me, my partner, and our almost 2 year old daughter. We have to do at least bit of cleaning every day or else we get major ant infestations since the kid tends to drop bits of food everywhere. I think my partner and I do about 45 minutes each of cleaning/dish washing/dishwasher unloading and loading. The things we do every day are dishes, wiping down the counters/dining room table, sweeping the areas where there's food on the floor, and toy picking-up. Every other weekend we try to spend an hour or two cleaning the bathroom and/or really scrubbing down kitchen surfaces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Honestly, most days I'm just trying to stay on top of the kitchen/dishes and floors/dog hair situation, and that is a constant uphill battle. (Of course, I don't have a real vacuum, so right now the floors are a 3-part process and take way too long.) Other things (like the tub, dusting, etc) get done when I notice they're gross.

I understand the benefit of cleaning a little every day, but I feel like I spend so long just cleaning up the kitchen, that I'm not really motivated to do more after that. I should try to tack on an extra 15 minutes though; that seems manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I spend about an hour. I live with one other person and two cats.

My usual chores are making the bed, putting clothes away, tidying bathroom and kitchen counters, litterbox, picking up cat toys and other things, sweeping, and dishes. I also don't have a dishwasher, so depending on what I make for meals, dishes might take up to an extra 30 minutes. I didn't used to spend this much time on cleaning, but I keep my apartment (1 bedroom, dining room, living room, etc.) pretty tidy now.

Once a week or so I'll clean for like 3 hours and do a major scrub down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

supercarrot wrote:
do you have a furminator?

well, i had to google it, so no. never seen anything like it- looks like a wool carder? maybe next time i'm up north i'll go looking but down here, not a chance.