| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 242  Next
 Post subject: Re: online dating (how r u 2day qt?)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

lycophyte wrote:
In other news, somehow I have a date tomorrow morning. I'm so not ready for this. But she's a massage therapist, so that's awesome! And we have high match %. And she already went through her mid-life crisis (she's even older than my most recent ex, 10 years older than me). But what the hell am I doing!

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm thinking of doing this again. I don't really... Want to? But also I kind of know myself and I feel like I only get over someone if I'm into someone else. Wow typing that out seems pretty unhealthy! Hmm. But it's so silly for me to be concocting ideas of BP and I getting back together, it's a terrible idea, really! So if I can get out and have fun and fork again... I feel like I'll stop doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, its a tough choice. I don't necessarily want to date and don't know if getting into someone else gets me over someone else or not. However, I am, apparetly, less cynical then I thought I am.

But fun and forking, it might be good. I just want a hook up friends with benefits myself...I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

One third of new marriages started with online dating! So interesting!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/201 ... nline.html

I am helping a friend with his profile, and he is so super-awesome and vegan. I am stoked for him finding an awesome vegan GF!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 am 

One thing that is stopping me from setting up a profile again though is that I feel like I've already seen most of what Portland online dating has to offer. And also I don't love the idea of certain people who know me to see me on this again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Mars wrote:
One thing that is stopping me from setting up a profile again though is that I feel like I've already seen most of what Portland online dating has to offer. And also I don't love the idea of certain people who know me to see me on this again.

That is one reason I'm glad I've never taken down my profile, though I've changed my setting. But, yeah, I get self conscious about people I went on dates with seeing me now as being single again, I don't know why. Like, for people with whom I had decent dates with before but didn't get anywhere with, should I write them again? Well, I did write one person, who is married, but she's not up on there right now, so maybe we'd just be friends-friends.

My date wasn't too bad! Good conversation and all that, but it was only 2 hrs so far, so shall see. What felt a bit weird is that my first date location with my last ex was like a block over, and I had to leave to go to therapy. Just like today!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 am 

Okay I made it. fork it, I'm going to have to eventually.

Critiques, please! Name is MarsBison on OKC

I started a new one from scratch. I didn't like having all those questions. I kind of hate a lot of those questions and am thinking of trying just none answered for a bit, if it really works poorly that way, then I'll answer only the ones I feel sure on the answers. My last one had so many 'irrelevant' or where'd I'd have to pick one but really it could go either way. I hated that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

My boyfriend and I are meeting another couple from okc tonight. They are also open and seem interested in both, so let's see!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:

I started a new one from scratch. I didn't like having all those questions. I kind of hate a lot of those questions and am thinking of trying just none answered for a bit, if it really works poorly that way, then I'll answer only the ones I feel sure on the answers. My last one had so many 'irrelevant' or where'd I'd have to pick one but really it could go either way. I hated that.

I would 100% date you based on this profile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Mars wrote:

Ok, now I have a crush on you.

ETA: well, more of a crush anyway. you already had me a long time ago at Pekingese.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:43 am 

PEKINGESE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 am 

But a couple questions, where it says what I'm looking for, I'm curious as to what people's perception of this long term dating & short term dating are. I currently don't have short term dating picked because I'm pretty done with dating guys who right from the get go say they aren't 'ready' or 'available'. But maybe short-term dating means something different to other people than it does to me. Like, maybe it's a less formal option to them than just having long term selected, which might scare them off?

Also, I feel like I describe myself well, but I don't describe what I'm looking for. Do you think it would be a good idea to do that? Maybe in the 'you should message me if' section? (Not that I'm super aware of what I want but meh)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Mars wrote:
PEKINGESE

::swoon::

Mars wrote:
But a couple questions, where it says what I'm looking for, I'm curious as to what people's perception of this long term dating & short term dating are. I currently don't have short term dating picked because I'm pretty done with dating guys who right from the get go say they aren't 'ready' or 'available'. But maybe short-term dating means something different to other people than it does to me. Like, maybe it's a less formal option to them than just having long term selected, which might scare them off?

Also, I feel like I describe myself well, but I don't describe what I'm looking for. Do you think it would be a good idea to do that? Maybe in the 'you should message me if' section? (Not that I'm super aware of what I want but meh)

Honestly, I don't look at the "looking for" section too much unless it's super short, like if only one of them is picked, I'll check what it is. I guess it's mostly because I don't really know what I want for myself, so it does me no good. I mean, I would like to be one of those people in a long term serious relationship, but if I saw someone with only "long term dating" selected, I'd be a bit scared off. I'd feel like our first date would be mostly them assessing my potential as a life partner or something. I'd rather meet someone first, see if I like them, and then discuss what we're both expecting.
(keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't date much and 90% of the dates I've gone on through okc have been duds--long island is dangerously low on the queer count)

As for what you're looking for, you can put it or not. I'd just be careful not to sound too picky or negative. I find that to be a real turn off. Maybe just a few criteria in the "message me if" section if you want to give people an indication of what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Mars wrote:

Looks solid to me. You did a very good job of having enough personality expressed in your profile without writing too much. The only minor suggestion I can offer is to add a picture of yourself in the middle of some activity you enjoy, because I think most folks find it extra intriguing to see people doing something passionately and it can be a good conversation-starter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:40 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I gave you 5 stars!
Because you are Mars awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Mars wrote:

You use "party's" instead of "parties" in your summary.

Your you should message me is fine, I think. I think you have a good profile!

Only long term dating selected would always scare me off (note: I'm not single now, so it's especially scary... but even when I was single... I never wanted to feel like I was auditioning for a long term relationship off the bat)

I recommend answering 100+ questions. Even if you say irrelevant a lot because you don't care what other people say, it still gives the site more data points, plus more things for you and other people to think about when browsing each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 pm 

Yeah I read, too, that more questions answered means you'll show up more in people's searches. Blah! Fine!

I am not sure if you typed this after I changed my 'message me if', or before. I changed it earlier today.

As per Camus's req, I put a pic of me arranging fleurs! Heh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've been reading this forum for a few days and it inspired me to set up an OKC profile just for lurking. But I think I just found the man of my dreams. Maybe I'll spend my weekend having people take pictures of me doing fun and exotic things.

I do have one question (assuming my plot to win this guy over with my clever prose and fun pictures works): how do you generally handle paying on dates? I apologize if this question has already been answered (I did skip the middle hundred pages of the thread).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There are obviously some different gender-based customs regarding paying, but on dates I've been on with both women and men, I usually like to be the first one to discuss how we're paying by just being like, you good with splitting it? Usually people are like yeah, and sometimes they want to pay for you (men more frequently for sure), and then I'm just like thanks! It only gets awkward if the conversation gets weird and drawn out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

So, would it be weird of me to sign up for a paid massage with the person I went on a date with a few days ago? She's got a sale going on for a few days, and I could sure use a massage, but I don't know if that is a bad choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lycophyte wrote:
So, would it be weird of me to sign up for a paid massage with the person I went on a date with a few days ago? She's got a sale going on for a few days, and I could sure use a massage, but I don't know if that is a bad choice.

Well, if you want a massage therapist's opinion...YES, that would definitely be weird. Sorry. I suspect that most massage therapists in that situation would say "oh, it's no big deal, come on in" because honestly we don't make money if we don't say that, and frankly if someone had just been on a date with me and asked me that I would probably have a hard time saying no to that...but it's definitely dubious ethically (especially if you're planning/hoping to have future dates with this person) and potentially problematic for the relationship dynamic.

But don't let that stop you from getting a massage! You live in Asheville, there are massage therapists all over the place! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, that's what I figured! But just wanted to be sure...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

laura8it wrote:
I've been reading this forum for a few days and it inspired me to set up an OKC profile just for lurking. But I think I just found the man of my dreams. Maybe I'll spend my weekend having people take pictures of me doing fun and exotic things.

I do have one question (assuming my plot to win this guy over with my clever prose and fun pictures works): how do you generally handle paying on dates? I apologize if this question has already been answered (I did skip the middle hundred pages of the thread).

I didn't treat paying for dates any different online dating than I ever had any other way. I always go into a date prepared to pay my own way and I always offer. Because I have only dated men and there's that old gender-based custom s'rock refers to, I have often ended up allowing my date to pay if they insist and just offering a gracious thank you (or, if we go somewhere after dinner for a drink, for example, picking up that tab.) I think it's awkward when the negotiation of who's paying gets drawn out, however I've been considerably more insistent on paying my share when I've been pretty sure I'm not interested in seeing them again. (Since I did find the man of my dreams online dating and since he rarely lets me pay, sometimes I have to swoop in when he's in the men's room and pay the whole tab on the sly...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just typed up a super emo post In This Thread then deleted it. You're all very welcome. Oh and about paying; I always just pause after the server/whoever asks to let my date say that we're splitting it and if she doesn't say anything, I offer to pay. I don't care that much either way, but I feel weird offering to pay since I'm dating adults and it feels condescending.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Why do people think they're going to get a response when they send a message that just says "Hi, I'm Nick". That doesn't even make me want to view their profile, let alone respond to the message.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 242  Next