| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 241  Next
 Post subject: Re: online dating (how r u 2day qt?)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Seriously if you have access to them, dooooo it as soon as you can. Don't wait, I wish I had known about them years ago! Even if you don't want to date someone who has animals, its great to just not worry about it when visiting friends, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

nvm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The boy and I gradually fell apart and I've reactivated my OKC account. It seems like all the awesome geeky beer-drinking types here are massive 'can't live without bacon' types. And I'd forgotten the chat-up lines. 'I've got more culture than yoghurt. Wanna taste?'. NO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Haha! Mmmmm comparing yourself to bacterial cultures, that's a winner of a line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm 

I definitely want me some of that :/

I also had a guy compare me to Rihanna. I'm a fat white British nerd-girl. Thanks, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

cornflowers- YOU'RE REBEL WILSON!?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Everyone here seems really into Ok Cupid - does anyone use Match? Is there some kind of subtle difference I'm oblivious to having been out of the world of (any kind of) dating for years? Does it depend on what everyone's after? (YOUKNOW).

ETA: I am also a bit reluctant to describe my perfect date as: "Hugh Jackman as Wolverine but vegan and really into true crime documentaries and will love my dog as one might a human child". I'm guessing that's probably a bad idea....

Bloggy bloggy blog: http://spicebox0fearth.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^it's a "bad idea" if you want everyone to be into your profile. but if you want good compatibility from day one, then I think it's pretty much perfect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:04 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've just never heard of anyone I know to have used match ever. I also get kind of a straight vibe from it? Though since I've never even been to the website once I don't know where that vibe is coming from. Monkeytoes used it with great success! She's now very boyfriended.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

Haha, yeah, I pretty much think match is the greatest thing since sliced bread. BUT I was only on it actively for a month or so and I can't compare it to OKC because I have no experience with the latter. I think part of the appeal of OKC is that it's free? I picked match when I did because I'd heard of it and eharmony, and eharmony's model didn't appeal to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jennyg2207 wrote:
Everyone here seems really into Ok Cupid - does anyone use Match? Is there some kind of subtle difference I'm oblivious to having been out of the world of (any kind of) dating for years? Does it depend on what everyone's after? (YOUKNOW).

I think it depends on the geographic area! I know here in California all the young hip things use OK Cupid, but maybe in another city the artsy vegans are all on Plenty Of Fish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
jennyg2207 wrote:

I think it depends on the geographic area! I know here in California all the young hip things use OK Cupid, but maybe in another city the artsy vegans are all on Plenty Of Fish.

And maybe that's why I ended up on match, being that I am not young, hip or artsy! :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:53 pm 

julialegume wrote:
cornflowers- YOU'RE REBEL WILSON!?

Yes. It's astonishing that I even need to use dating sites at all, given all that fame n shiitake.

The major different between OKC and match for me was the price. It's like TWO BOOKS A MONTH just to meet creeps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I think OKC also attracts a lot of people who only want to chat online, answer quiz questions, and generally just pretend they're there for social interactions. As I've just turned 30, I'm starting to think Match might be a better investment, but I'm worried there might not be that many vegans there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

camuscando wrote:
I think OKC also attracts a lot of people who only want to chat online, answer quiz questions, and generally just pretend they're there for social interactions.

This rings pretty true. I've had a couple of really stellar interactions there which resulted in cool dates/cool friendships, but that's amid a lot of annoying stuff.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
jennyg2207 wrote:

If "artsy" = awesome at painting rebel flags on pick-up trucks, and "vegan" = hunting your own deer, then all of the artsy vegans around here use Plenty of Fish! (Okay, that's a big generalization, but my limited PoF lurking has led me to believe that basically no one on that website is someone who I'd wanna date.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:56 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I'm in the UK so no idea how it works here; I do know my brother uses PoF so that pretty much put me off immediately :D

I can confirm that there seems to be a tiny amount of vegans considering the 60k+ they claim are logged on most evenings!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't know anything about Match, but my experience with OKC vs. paid sites in general is that OKC has a much more laid back/fun atmosphere. For me, this was a good thing. My experience on paid sites is that everyone is so serious, and if you don't exactly match their checklist of demands for what they're looking for in "the one" (thin, blond, listens to opera), they're not even interested in engaging you in conversation and getting to know you a bit. Since OKC is free, and the profile form invites more creative answers than the usual drop down menus on paid sites, I feel like more people are willing to engage you in playful banter without the immediate pressure of whether you match their preferences perfectly.

When I was online dating, I was a member of two paid sites (a veg*n site and a site for "highly educated" people) and OKC. From the two paid sites, I was only approached by two people: one nice guy who it just didn't click with, and one crasshole who basically said, "You're too old and fat for my tastes, but you seem ok, so I'll deign to meet you, you lucky thing". I sent out a bunch of messages and never got a single reply, except from one guy who said I wasn't "athletic" (i.e. thin) enough for him.

On OKC, I had fun flirtations with people on the other side of the world, met one or two nice people for coffee, and ended up with two fork buddies. I got interesting propositions from much younger punks who thought I was sexy (I didn't pursue this, but it sure is flattering after the rejection of paid sites) had philosophical discussions with folks in Belgium and the UK, and eventually met my partner who I've been together for three years now with.

But obviously, some folks swear by paid sites, so I guess it all depend on what kind of atmosphere you thrive the most in.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:52 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Score one for OKC - within hours of reactivating my profile I got a message from a guy who I've Kind Of known for years who always used to engage in a bit of blushtastic, sweet, almost-flirting with me whenever we bumped into each other, but I was with someone else at the time. Whatever happens, it's already more interesting than Match!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:40 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I checked out chemistry.com and it didn't seem worth it around here; there is almost noone in my area, everyone is in Charlotte. A lot are in Charlotte on POF too. Any of the sites that require paying do have a smaller pool and I think that really shows when looking for the gay ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 am 
Nailed to the V

i remember trying match.com for a short while. i could be biased, but it seemed like most of the men on there were very typical southern men looking for a wife. OKC has its pitfalls too, like some people mentioned, but i did find my bf on there. the fact that he's vegan too is also a plus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:29 am 
Saggy Butt

walrus wrote:
I have an OKC account. I'm sort of dating this one guy (but I think I'll have to end it soon). Last week, someone I met at Farm Sanctuary's hoedown found me on there. I remember that he was cute and friendly. We're meeting up tomorrow! Woot!

Our date went really, really well. He's a vegan registered dietician! However, I sent a follow up text and he never responded. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Oh maaaaan, I have found the best (worst) OK Cupid profile ever EVER and if it wasn't morally questionable I'd post the whole thing here. However, its owner sent me a message of 'admiration' and here's the best bit:

"I can't digest vegetables for medical reasons and so am a dreaded carnivore...."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:43 am 

jennyg2207 wrote:
Oh maaaaan, I have found the best (worst) OK Cupid profile ever EVER and if it wasn't morally questionable I'd post the whole thing here. However, its owner sent me a message of 'admiration' and here's the best bit:

"I can't digest vegetables for medical reasons and so am a dreaded carnivore...."

There are some AMAZING profiles on there! My fave was one where a guy just repeatedly talks about how he isn't a croissant. Well, I suppose that's good, as I don't date disembodied genitalia anymore. They're just so needy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

cornflowers wrote:
There are some AMAZING profiles on there! My fave was one where a guy just repeatedly talks about how he isn't a croissant. Well, I suppose that's good, as I don't date disembodied genitalia anymore. They're just so needy.

Yeh it's way more fun than Match so far! One guy had drawn big silly moustaches on all his profile pics. It was goooooood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 241  Next