| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224 ... 234  Next
 Post subject: Re: online dating (how r u 2day qt?)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

solkiki, Ah, first several makes lots of sense! Definitely after the first couple of times seeing each other if it's not an enthusiastic yes, I want to hang out with you, I give them the boot. (Funnily enough a guy I messaged recently has a link about that concept which I find helpful. he's also vegan so who knows, maybe he'll see this and won't that be embarrassing or awkward)

Ashley, sorry to hear you have to let someone down. That always sucks. It sounds like he's got some work to do on himself as well. Tried and true honesty is usually the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

laura8it wrote:
I'm derailing the conversation to post a good news story. This thread (among a few other things) inspired me to make an OKC profile last month, just to meet new people and try different activities, restaurants, etc. While I certainly got the creepy and sometimes hilarious messages from people with a 10% match, I also got a number of messages from nice, interesting guys. I went out with three of them: one was a dud, one was fun but there wasn't any chemistry, and one was GREAT. We've been hanging out 2-3 times a week for the past three weeks and every time is more fun than the one before. I won't bore you with my high-octave, girly-voice gushing about this dude, but I just wanted to share a success story. Oh, and he cooked me vegan dinner last week, and liked it so much that he made the dish again this weekend. So if nothing else, I'm being a good vegan-evangelist.

Congratulations, Laura! I can throw my own success story into the mix: I started online dating in December, went on a few dates with a nice-but-dull guy, then met someone amazing. We've been seeing each other for 2 months now and it just keeps getting better and better. We're even planning a weekend away soon. Woot!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lillianp wrote:
solkiki, Ah, first several makes lots of sense! Definitely after the first couple of times seeing each other if it's not an enthusiastic yes, I want to hang out with you, I give them the boot. (Funnily enough a guy I messaged recently has a link about that concept which I find helpful. he's also vegan so who knows, maybe he'll see this and won't that be embarrassing or awkward)

Ashley, sorry to hear you have to let someone down. That always sucks. It sounds like he's got some work to do on himself as well. Tried and true honesty is usually the way to go.

That's right you never know who's reading this! ;)

I'm sorry to hear Ashley. It's never nice to let someone down. He probably knows already in a way, but good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jennyc wrote:
laura8it wrote:
I'm derailing the conversation to post a good news story. This thread (among a few other things) inspired me to make an OKC profile last month, just to meet new people and try different activities, restaurants, etc. While I certainly got the creepy and sometimes hilarious messages from people with a 10% match, I also got a number of messages from nice, interesting guys. I went out with three of them: one was a dud, one was fun but there wasn't any chemistry, and one was GREAT. We've been hanging out 2-3 times a week for the past three weeks and every time is more fun than the one before. I won't bore you with my high-octave, girly-voice gushing about this dude, but I just wanted to share a success story. Oh, and he cooked me vegan dinner last week, and liked it so much that he made the dish again this weekend. So if nothing else, I'm being a good vegan-evangelist.

Congratulations, Laura! I can throw my own success story into the mix: I started online dating in December, went on a few dates with a nice-but-dull guy, then met someone amazing. We've been seeing each other for 2 months now and it just keeps getting better and better. We're even planning a weekend away soon. Woot!

Yay Jennyc! That's great! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've been trading long, interesting, and swoon-worthy messages with a guy who lives really far away and is very clear in his profile about not having time for anything beyond friendship due to work/school commitments. So, nothing is going to happen (other than awesome friendship, which I'm excited about), but I keep daydreaming of us falling in love and him moving his family of all-male cats into my family of all-female cats and us having a feline Brady Bunch family.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 pm 

Jennyc, that's awesome! I'm currently to try embracing living without fear about meeting new people and throwing myself into new situations (within reason/caution etc) and have been unafraid to just message guys, especially when okc says 'it's a match!' So now I have my second date in 2 weeks (a different guy) and am messaging another guy! And stopped responding to a guy I'm pretty sure I'd decide was an asparagus. So I'm calling my outlook on life a win, even if none of them go anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yay, lillianp! Good luck!

The vegetarian guy I went out with on Saturday texted me today and asked me out again. We're having dinner Thursday night. That was the guy I felt was smarter than me. I guess I didn't make a terrible impression.

Still haven't ended things with the other guy yet. I know I really need to just do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks guys!

Ashley, I dithered in a similar fashion when I had to end things with the first guy I met off OkCupid. We'd had 3 dates and I knew it wasn't going anywhere, but was terrified of actually telling him so. I waited for him to get in touch with me, and then texted him back to say that as nice as he was I just didn't think we had enough in common, but that it had been good getting to know him. He sent back a little text to say he understood and that was it. Painless in the end! You can do it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 pm 

You can do it Ashley!

I now have 2 dates in 3 days. And had one last week. And another guy I need to message back! Guys, what IS this? Last time I was on it was nowhere near as hopping for me. I guess it's probably the fact that I'm not afraid to message guys. And they're all nice! And some of them write back! I think I've grown my self confidence enough that it's helping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

jennyc wrote:
Thanks guys!

Ashley, I dithered in a similar fashion when I had to end things with the first guy I met off OkCupid. We'd had 3 dates and I knew it wasn't going anywhere, but was terrified of actually telling him so. I waited for him to get in touch with me, and then texted him back to say that as nice as he was I just didn't think we had enough in common, but that it had been good getting to know him. He sent back a little text to say he understood and that was it. Painless in the end! You can do it!

I second this. I went on two dates with a guy and we'd been talking a lot, but I just wasn't feeling it. I tried ignoring him for a few days, but he didn't take the hint. I was ridiculously nervous sending my "It was nice talking to you but I don't think we have any chemistry" text, but he quickly wrote back something like "No worries, best of luck to you". It was THAT painless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

lillianp wrote:
Favorite opener of the day from OKcupid: "When did you discover you were bi?" Why yes, I feel like sharing my sexual orientation self-labelling process with you, stranger without any pre-amble.

I got a similar question in a second message basically asking me how many men I'd been with vesus women.

Nope :/

Elsewhere, quiet dude is quiet. I'm exhausted thinking up things to say.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 pm 

I just had a REALLY good first date with a guy. Such a great personality that it overrode his somewhat average (to me) looks and I think he's SO cute. And it was really really good and I'm so charmed by him. And now that it's over I'm having post-date jitters where I worry and pick everything apart. I need someone to tell me it will be ok no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm 

lillianp wrote:
I just had a REALLY good first date with a guy. Such a great personality that it overrode his somewhat average (to me) looks and I think he's SO cute. And it was really really good and I'm so charmed by him. And now that it's over I'm having post-date jitters where I worry and pick everything apart. I need someone to tell me it will be ok no matter what.

Yes, go you!! I totally get the post-date jitters but he's probably feeling the same thing. Totally normal and you WILL be okay no matter what. Can't wait to hear what develops. And either way, you had a good time, so that makes it a win.

I just had my second date with the vegetarian. I felt a little iffy after date #1, but now I'm sold. Good conversation, laughter, lots in common, and he folded up the tip money like sea turtles. I am cautiously optimistic because I don't like to get my hopes up about anything, but I definitely want to see him again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:55 pm 

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
So I notice today that OKC has a section that says "who likes you". I click on that and it says 6 people do, but it won't show them to me unless I'm a paying member. I start thinking "Hmm, I have gone through the rounds and rated a fair amount of ladies I'm interested in, but haven't contacted yet because the idea of trying to talk to multiple people while being charming and attentive doesn't quite work for me." I'm sort of a one girl guy in a lot of ways. So maybe some of the ladies I like had liked me too (how utterly forking high school it all is). Anyways, I join up to be a paid member, and besides the one girl I have been chatting with, the other 5 are people who have nothing in common with me at forking all.

Kudos OKC...You have earned my 45$

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:41 pm 

I am such an overanalyzer allatimes. He texted me late last night but nothing since so of course to my crazy brain that means he's lost interest. (A whole 24 hours has passed, omg /sarcasm) all will be well, i have a date with another guy who seems very sweet tomorrow which i am looking forward to.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

lillianp wrote:

Aw, don't worry lillianp! I'm also a huge over-analyser. After every early date with my guy I would get on the tram home feeling giddy and happy, then by the time I got back I'd have convinced myself that it was a disaster and he wasn't into me and I'd made a total fool of myself.

He also wasn't a frequent texter, which made me worry that he just wasn't thinking of me much between dates. As the relationship has become more serious his texting habits have really changed. Now that I'm not in doubt of his affection, I can see that it was actually quite nice not to inundate each other with texts right from the start - my previous relationship became very serious very quickly, so I liked easing into it this time and taking our time to get to know each other.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:28 am 

jennyc wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Aw, don't worry lillianp! I'm also a huge over-analyser. After every early date with my guy I would get on the tram home feeling giddy and happy, then by the time I got back I'd have convinced myself that it was a disaster and he wasn't into me and I'd made a total fool of myself.

He also wasn't a frequent texter, which made me worry that he just wasn't thinking of me much between dates. As the relationship has become more serious his texting habits have really changed. Now that I'm not in doubt of his affection, I can see that it was actually quite nice not to inundate each other with texts right from the start - my previous relationship became very serious very quickly, so I liked easing into it this time and taking our time to get to know each other.

Yes! That makes sense-I think he's not a frequent texter either and funnily enough I turned my phone on and he had texted me in the hour and a half I turned it off to make my brain less crazy. I definitely think exploring this and not getting all overly-attached overly quickly is a GOOD thing, I just have to get the anxious part of my brain on board. (Which just means talking about my anxiety here/with close friends so that I can avoid acting on it)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:08 am 

I have mixed feelings about texting. I sort of hate doing it, and I really hate being expected to be responsive all the time, but then I get all anxiety ridden when I don't hear from people and take it personally. Most of the time it's all in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm 

Ashley-I totally get that. I'm a happy texter but I know other people are sporadic-this guy totally is. Which is fine now that a) I know that and b) am a little more assured of his interest! (There was cookie making, a 7 hour date and some makeouts). Basically what it means is it's totally my own anxiety and I need to own it and accept that other people's styles and actions aren't always a reflection of how they feel about me but also even if they decide they aren't interested, I am going to be just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 pm 

That sounds like an awesome date!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

So a few of the people I'm been contacted by have started giving me short, dead-end messages and yet they still seem to want to talk. I'm tired of doing work thinking up topics! Maybe I'm just more chatty than I ever realised.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hazel wrote:
lillianp wrote:
Favorite opener of the day from OKcupid: "When did you discover you were bi?" Why yes, I feel like sharing my sexual orientation self-labelling process with you, stranger without any pre-amble.

I got a similar question in a second message basically asking me how many men I'd been with vesus women.

Nope :/

Elsewhere, quiet dude is quiet. I'm exhausted thinking up things to say.

Lol. I used to get so tired of the 'what's your number' (meaning with how many men I've been with, not phone number) question. Ofcourse not as exciting as it must be for them to ask you the number question ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm 

Haven't heard from the guy I went out with on Thursday. That was the second date and I felt like it went well. I guess maybe he didn't agree? Oh well...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

ashley wrote:
Haven't heard from the guy I went out with on Thursday. That was the second date and I felt like it went well. I guess maybe he didn't agree? Oh well...

Well, has he heard from you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:08 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Mars wrote:
ashley wrote:

Well, has he heard from you?

1000 times this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224 ... 234  Next