| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How much did you like meat?
1. I loved it, and ate it all the time. 40%  40%  [ 92 ]
2. I've never liked it. Gross! 12%  12%  [ 27 ]
3. I liked it ok, and ate it sometimes. 38%  38%  [ 89 ]
4. Other. 10%  10%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 232
 Post subject: Re: Did you like meat?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Michelle wrote:
Avert your eyes those of yea with weak stomachs:

lolz maybe that should be spoilerized. :-p
did you get sick from it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I only ever liked fried chicken and seafood. I really gave up seafood because of the environmental impact. Most other stuff I kind of always new had a cute face attached to it so it kind of skeeved me out even before becoming vegan. I became a vegetarian at about 15.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Always hated it. Hid it in my napkin and flushed it down the toilet. Yuck! I used to cry when my mom made steak or pork chops because chewing them made me gag.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

supercarrot wrote:
burgers (which we often had on whitebread instead of buns. i think i might remember actually preferring the whitebread option)

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuck... my mom used to do this too (except with brown bread) cos we was po'. (Although obviously not so poor as we were eating wholemeal bread, I suppose.) Bread is too cakey for beef burgers. It tastes like beef and cake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow, Michelle!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

supercarrot wrote:
Michelle wrote:
Avert your eyes those of yea with weak stomachs:

lolz maybe that should be spoilerized. :-p
did you get sick from it?

No, I didn't get sick at all. Whatever my mom made for dinner that night (since it wasn't the meatloaf I'd scarfed) I ate that, as well. Oh, to be a teenager again.

I remember confessing this secret to my mom when I was about 30, and she just FREAKED.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hated.
That's why I went veg in the first place. Then I learned about the animals, then vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I hated steak--too chewy, and all fish but fish sticks. I hated chicken most ways. Really I only ate the more processed stuff like burgers, hotdogs, chicken nugs, and shake n bake. It started bothering me that it came from animals in middle school and I remember telling people that I would be a vegetarian at some point (turned out to be 9th grade).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

I selected other. I went vegetarian at a very young age and don't recall what it tastes like. I assumed I liked it though. I was fed processed crepe, hotdogs and chicken nuggets, before finding out where it came from, at which point I stopped eating it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 pm 
Chip Strong

I pretty much only liked chicken, and those fried clam strips from the grocery store that were 90% breading. I hated steak, could tolerate pork but didn't like it that much, and didn't care much for turkey. I am willing to bet that a lot of this is based on my mom's crappy cooking, but who cares now, right? Hahaha.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I selected "I liked it okay" because my family never really focused on it growing up. Which is interesting because my Dad is from Spain and the pork culture is huge there. But when he cooked, it always focused on how healthy the lentils were, or how sweet the roasted bell peppers were, or how essential it is to cook white rice properly.

My Dad fussed when I went vegetarian, but it didn't last long. He found ways to make the Spanish dishes work without the meat, and later, when he developed diabetes, thanked me.

The family plays a huge role in the love affair with meat, I feel. I can't wait to show my future children how beautiful vegi-centered meals are.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

The only meat I remember liking at all as a kid was lox and bratwursts, and honestly, I'm not sure I actually realized either were meat. They're so...un-animal-like. In general, it always grossed me out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 am 
Saggy Butt

My dad started out raising me sans meat since he's a vegetarian, but my half-siblings were carnivores and I was a contrary child (and one who loved watching Animal Planet shows and held the opinion that lions eating a waterbuffalo was BADASS and wanted to emulate such behaviour), so I developed quite a love for steak/burgers/chicken nuggets/bacon/ostrich. And I knew what was on my plate was an animal. I don't think I had a soul as a small child...

But then my mum started dying, and by the time she'd finished and my siblings had moved out, I had kind of decided it was silly to make my dad cook meat for me alone, and stopped eating warm-blooded animals... though fish took a good while longer; I looooved raw salmon after the trial-by-fire of forcing myself to eat a whole dinner plate of sashimi to keep up appearances and pretend I'd known what I was ordering; my father, vegetarian though he be, had a way of cooking a salmon filet with lemon and pepper and butter that I still wish I could replicate, and I loooved smoked salmon. In fact, when I decided to become vegan, my first thought was, 'Damn; I mean, I want to stop eating dairy and eggs, but if I want to call myself a vegan (y'know, labels are important at fourteen) I'd have to stop eating seafood, too!' D:

So I sat myself down with a peta pamphlet about how fish have feelings too, and even though I didn't believe a word of it, I just kind of sat there hammering it into myself until I almost did.

But I do still miss seafood. Meat, though... by the time I stopped eating it, it was a definite 'meh.' I think I burned myself out on double-decker meat-only McShit burgers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

brian wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I was eating while I read this thread.

That was a mistake.

I know, right? This is the the grossest thread ever.

I hate this thread and I think it's totally sad it's gone on this long.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I thought I liked meat, but it turned out I just like fried things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 am 

celyn wrote:
brian wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I was eating while I read this thread.

That was a mistake.

I know, right? This is the the grossest thread ever.

I hate this thread and I think it's totally sad it's gone on this long.

I can see why some would find it gross... but why sad?

I think it's good. Saying, 'I used to like meat and now I'm happy without it and don't need it'?
It's not the people who never liked the taste of meat that need convincing that it's easy to go without...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I did, very much so. Nonetheless, I had very little trouble cutting meat out cold turkey. Vegan came later, but the step to vegetarianism was easy for me. Once I fully realized animal agriculture...well, I was done.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:18 am 

I was never really all that fussed with meat, but I ate it because it's what my parents cooked. I did loooove seafood though. I guess that's what growing up on the New England coast will do ta ya...

I was always super grossed out by fried chicken though...all that skin and bones! BLECH!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fine. forget it. I don't need any extra conflict in my life atm, so carry on, and I'll just remove myself.

Last edited by celyn on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

so what if we want to eat meat though? the fact is, there are very compelling reasons not to, regardless of what it tastes like. this thread is full of proof that humans have a capacity for rational thought beyond the simple physical response of molecule hitting tastebud.

people can interpret this thread however they want. wistful isn't how i'm reading it, and anyone who will seriously use this excuse isn't going to get turned to veganism any time soon anyway. hardcore omnis are going to make fun of vegans regardless, i'm not going to censor myself so they have less fodder. making fun of vegans because they all secretly love meat is stupid and childish and i really really don't care if they say that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

celyn wrote:
Because the thread says "+1 yummy, I'm just too evolved!" to the omnis who see the boards. I don't think it promotes veganism because they will say it's wistful and that it perpetuates the fact that vegans want to eat meat. A "friend" of mine stated this on FB just last night. Now he's got four or five extra pages of evidence. Meat meat is loving this thread.

I don't see a whole lot of people saying they want to eat meat. I will tell people my stories about dropping acid in high school, that doesn't mean I want to go out and trip balls all the time.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
so what if we want to eat meat though? the fact is, there are very compelling reasons not to, regardless of what it tastes like. this thread is full of proof that humans have a capacity for rational thought beyond the simple physical response of molecule hitting tastebud.

people can interpret this thread however they want. wistful isn't how i'm reading it, and anyone who will seriously use this excuse isn't going to get turned to veganism any time soon anyway. hardcore omnis are going to make fun of vegans regardless, i'm not going to censor myself so they have less fodder. making fun of vegans because they all secretly love meat is stupid and childish and i really really don't care if they say that.

Yes.

Not all of us were fortunate enough to be raised from birth veg*n, so we've had meat in our lives. Some of us liked to eat it, some of us didn't (and this might or might not have influenced our turn to veganism), HOWEVER we've all learned the multi-faceted atrocities of meat, and we've stopped eating it. Just because we are vegan, it doesn't mean (in some cases) we didn't once like the taste of meat. It does mean that we are compassionate, we love creatures, we don't want to see animals harmed, we don't want to use animals for our own benefit, we love the environment, and we love our bodies enough to treat them well, and because of those (and other) reasons, we choose to no longer eat meat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 am 
Chard Martyr

Meh. Could take it or leave it. Mostly ate seafood, turkey or chicken. Now, the thought of that makes me feel ill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

There is a difference between what you want to do and what you know you should do. That is something most people are taught when they are younger. I don't see a problem with people who want to eat meat, if they still choose to do otherwise. In fact, I might see that as a lot more respectable than someone who just never liked meat to begin with, because they may choose this life because it is easy for them and not because it is causing moral hardship.

I am confronted everyday by Omni's who figuratively spit in my face because i'm vegan. I even asked one to try my seitan once, and he said only if I tried his pulled pork. People are stupid, the only reason I joined the PPK is because I've noticed vegans are inherently smarter than most Omni's i've ever met.

As for the topic at hand, I only ever ate General Tso's Chicken from this one place on a back alley street cause their sauce was peculiarly different than every other Chinese chain. I also ate pastrami sandwiches on occasion, because they were free from where I worked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:34 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I chose other because even though I really liked meat and did not consider any meat to be off limits or gross, I only ate it every day when I was growing up and my mom would make it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and we'd get in trouble if we did not eat it). As I got older, I would go for several days without eating any meat.

I remember going out to eat with some co-workers once before I was veg and ordering a vegetarian burrito. One of the women I worked with looked at me and kinda screeched, "I didn't know you were vegetarian!" I told her I wasn't the she asked me "Then why on Earth are you ordering a vegetarian burrito?!" When I answered that I like them she was floored.

It still kind of makes me sad that that she never once thought about ordering anything without meat in it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next