| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

How much did you like meat?
1. I loved it, and ate it all the time. 40%  40%  [ 92 ]
2. I've never liked it. Gross! 12%  12%  [ 27 ]
3. I liked it ok, and ate it sometimes. 38%  38%  [ 89 ]
4. Other. 10%  10%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 232
 Post subject: Re: Did you like meat?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

most meat was ok, there wasn't anything in particular that i really enjoyed or would go out of my way for.

once in a while i'd crave something and it took a long time before baked ham stopped smelling good (i know, i'll close the door behind me) but generally i've always been veg at heart. i like snacking on raw potatoes and when i worked in a grocery store years ago it wasn't unusual for me to buy a pound of mushrooms and eat them on the way home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I know when I was a kid I always ate my veggies, but I ate my white meats too. As I got older, I just ate what my family ate. I'm not very picky, but I still won't eat raw onion or raw green peppers.

I did shy away from big slabs of meat though. I would eat pot pie and meaty pasta, but not roasts or ribs.. nothing with bones in it. That always freaked me out. I've never had a chicken wing before.

I don't buy many fake meat products when I'm not at my parents' house though I like crispy chik'n patties. Even if they made realistic vegan fish sushi, I wouldn't be overjoyed. I totally love veggie sushi. I don't miss anything except the convenience of omni food :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I personally think it's a pretty powerful statement to admit that you like the taste of something but can do without it. I hear that all the time - "I could never live without steak!" - and I said it myself about cheese for a lot of years. But the fact is, we CAN do without things for reasons that are more important and valuable than just what tastes good. I think it makes a stronger case for the importance (and ease) of veganism that people who loved bacon are now easily going without.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 pm 
Impressive boner

The only things I wouldn't eat were offal, goat meat and some shellfish. Now when I pass the hot meat counter at the supermarket I have to cover my nose. It smells like stale urine and makes me want to gag.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

When I was a kid I hated chicken. I would eat a burger sometimes but not steak or pork chops. I liked bacon. I liked seafood always.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

molly wrote:
I personally think it's a pretty powerful statement to admit that you like the taste of something but can do without it. I hear that all the time - "I could never live without steak!" - and I said it myself about cheese for a lot of years. But the fact is, we CAN do without things for reasons that are more important and valuable than just what tastes good. I think it makes a stronger case for the importance (and ease) of veganism that people who loved bacon are now easily going without.

I totally agree, well said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

even still when i walk past the hot dog vendors and the cheesesteak carts on the corner, i think it smells good, and it's been 15 years. (the cheesesteaks are more the caramelized onion smell though. the meat that permeates through is a bit icky, but hot dogs smell wonderful to me. often i'd have to eat a veggie dog that night.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I liked it, and ate it nearly every day. I loved bbq ribs and sausages, and the smell is still appealing. My mum cooks meat every night and that's how I grew up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

supercarrot wrote:
even still when i walk past the hot dog vendors and the cheesesteak carts on the corner, i think it smells good, and it's been 15 years. (the cheesesteaks are more the caramelized onion smell though. the meat that permeates through is a bit icky, but hot dogs smell wonderful to me. often i'd have to eat a veggie dog that night.)

yes! non vegans do not understand the ability to separate those smells. when the mr gets fried chicken the coating smells good but that underlying chicken smell is nauseating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

allychristine wrote:
littlebird wrote:
so what if we want to eat meat though? the fact is, there are very compelling reasons not to, regardless of what it tastes like. this thread is full of proof that humans have a capacity for rational thought beyond the simple physical response of molecule hitting tastebud.

people can interpret this thread however they want. wistful isn't how i'm reading it, and anyone who will seriously use this excuse isn't going to get turned to veganism any time soon anyway. hardcore omnis are going to make fun of vegans regardless, i'm not going to censor myself so they have less fodder. making fun of vegans because they all secretly love meat is stupid and childish and i really really don't care if they say that.

Yes.

+1

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Meat was pretty much all I ate until I went vegetarian, including some adventurous choices (though to someone raised on chicken nuggets and plain hot dogs and burgers, eating deer, ostrich, and crocodile seemed pretty exotic). It was giving up red meat and eating a lot of chicken and fish with my partner at the time that made the change for me. I was weaned off the red meat and sick of so much chicken and fish. It wasn't until I tried going vegan and started reading more literature about food and ethics that it became about the animals and the environment. I'm not exactly "ashamed" I grew up eating meat, because that's how it is in America, especially when you live in Arizona and your parents are from Ohio and Texas! But I wish I had known better much earlier, and I will be sure to raise vegan kids if I start a family.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:39 am 
Saggy Butt

nope, but I was raised vegetarian so I only had meat twice (first time I liked it, second I hated it and never had it again).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 am 
Saggy Butt

barbie wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

yes! non vegans do not understand the ability to separate those smells. when the mr gets fried chicken the coating smells good but that underlying chicken smell is nauseating.

ugh, I can't stand it when non-vegs think that the reason we don't want to smell burning flesh is because it "tempts" us. gross. um, no, it's because it makes me want to vomit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 am 
WELFARIST!

I loved seafood but other than that, no. I'm just happy there's been more and more vegan seafood recipes and products as the years have gone on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I never liked or ate red meat, pork or any kind of fish. I only really ate chicken so I was vegetarian a long time before becoming vegan. Meat was an easy thing for me to give up as I never really liked it! But I can imagine it would be harder for others!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 am 
Naked Under Apron

I always enjoyed smoked pork products, like the BBQ I could get in the south where I was raised, but I've found tons of subs for all of that stuff and don't miss it a bit. Liquid smoke is my BFF. Also, braised jackfruit with vinegar bbq sauce is a perfect fix.

I've never really found a substitute for ham that I enjoyed other than ham tube, but I've never really craved it.

I did eat meat, but a weird thing is I refused to cook it at home. I was too afraid of contaminating something. I cooked chicken once at my apartment and was so terrified of whether I cleaned the cutting board well enough that I just threw the whole thing out. Eventually I went vegan and all of that made more sense.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

I just want to add that when omnis say to me "Oh, I know you hate meat," or "Oh, you don't like meat so you can't understand," I often tell them that yes, I did enjoy meat. And if it didn't involve the killing of living creatures and the destruction of the planet and our bodies, I would still be eating it because I found it to taste good. I CHOOSE not to eat it because of those reasons I just stated. I go out of my way to make it clear that I learned about where my food came from and its costs and chose not to eat those things rather than indulge just for the sake of my appetite.

I know people differ on this issue, but I find it more powerful to sit down at a table of people eating meat with my plate of delicious vegan food and acknowledge these things than look down at them or run into the bathroom crying. What are we doing for animals if we don't say these things?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

pickledtreats wrote:
I just want to add that when omnis say to me "Oh, I know you hate meat," or "Oh, you don't like meat so you can't understand," I often tell them that yes, I did enjoy meat. And if it didn't involve the killing of living creatures and the destruction of the planet and our bodies, I would still be eating it because I found it to taste good. I CHOOSE not to eat it because of those reasons I just stated. I go out of my way to make it clear that I learned about where my food came from and its costs and chose not to eat those things rather than indulge just for the sake of my appetite.

I know people differ on this issue, but I find it more powerful to sit down at a table of people eating meat with my plate of delicious vegan food and acknowledge these things than look down at them or run into the bathroom crying. What are we doing for animals if we don't say these things?

I totally agree with you pickledtreats. I used to be a carnivore's carnivore. It wasn't because I hated meat that I gave it up. I gave it up because I care about animals. I've heard it too many times "I couldn't give up meat." I tell them, if I can give up meat, I know you can.

I think there is a lot of disconnect with people about food. Before I went veg*n and I discovered my food allergy, I never cared about what I was eating. Now that I know more about food, I'm amazed I ate that stuff and liked it.

And perhaps I'm being naive, but I'm not getting why these meat meat people that have been referred to in this thread are into checking out a vegan website to begin with and why this thread would be such a thrill to them. I will admit, I know nothing about them other than what I've gleaned here on the ppk as they've been mentioned in passing before. I see this thread as a yeah I ate meat, yeah I may have liked/loved it, but I'm much happier now since I no longer eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I used to love meat as a child, it was my favorite part of the meal, but when I was about 12 years old, I found out that one of my most favorite snacks contained horse meat. I didn't want to eat that! Horses are beautiful, and inteligent, and cute! My father thought it was silly, all animals are beautiful and inteligent and cute in a way, it's unfair not to eat 1 because you like that animal the most. He was right, and I stopped eating meat all thogether (that wasn't what he ment, but it was to late). I missed it at first, but I got used to it, and now there are so many other foods I like, there's realy no reason to start eating meat again because I liked it almost 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 am 
Naked Under Apron

Lil_Witch_Kitty wrote:
And perhaps I'm being naive, but I'm not getting why these meat meat people that have been referred to in this thread are into checking out a vegan website to begin with and why this thread would be such a thrill to them. I will admit, I know nothing about them other than what I've gleaned here on the ppk as they've been mentioned in passing before. I see this thread as a yeah I ate meat, yeah I may have liked/loved it, but I'm much happier now since I no longer eat it.

I think people are concerned because there are a lot of things in here that could be taken out of context by ridiculous forums and sites that have trolled the PPK in the past. It's a risk.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6