| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How much did you like meat?
1. I loved it, and ate it all the time. 40%  40%  [ 92 ]
2. I've never liked it. Gross! 12%  12%  [ 27 ]
3. I liked it ok, and ate it sometimes. 38%  38%  [ 89 ]
4. Other. 10%  10%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 232
 Post subject: Re: Did you like meat?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

For most of my life, my family has not eaten red meat (and they are not big meat-eaters in general), so I never even tried things like steak, ribs, or pork. I do remember hating hotdogs and loving hamburgers, though now I don't even remember what a hamburger tastes like (but I remember hotdogs, go figure). I also loved bacon but hated ham. I was okay with chicken and turkey, but the older I got, the more I couldn't handle things like blood veins and gristle in it. What I loved was processed, fried chicken: nuggets/fingers/patties. I was also okay with some fish (usually the kind that was almost flavorless, but I also liked tuna), and I loved New England clam chowder... but not the chewy clam meat in it! Other seafood I mostly hated.

I'm really glad my parents decided to limit meat, because I think it made it much easier for me to go veg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

brian wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I was eating while I read this thread.

That was a mistake.

I know, right? This is the the grossest thread ever.

Agreed. It's nauseating, and yet here I am reading it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Everything wrote:
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
When I crave a burger, I just remind myself of the meatloaf I ate at my ex's parents' house: ground beef covered in ketchup and dripping with fat, but conspicuously lacking any other flavor. That puts me off beef for days at a time.

...Thank you? If I wasn't already vegan, just this would've put me onto it. Blegh.

That sounds like my mom's meatloaf!

The way she cooked fish was equally disgusting (WARNING). So she'd bake it in a casserole dish, so you'd get a cube of fish. On the top of this cube, she melted cheddar cheese. When you flip this cube over, you realize she wants you to eat the scales too. It broke the illusion and I'd find myself mourning the fish while being forced to eat that disgusting, horrible cube. That I recall she never served this with a side dish, it was just the cube.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I chose "other," because none of the options were quite right. As a kid, I never really cared for meat, but I was also a really picky eater who didn't like much of anything except buttered noodles, grilled cheese, etc., and after my initial vegetarian epiphany at 16 I always "felt" like a vegetarian - if that makes any sense - even during periods when I'd backslid. Since the young adult years (when I was learning to cook) were meatless, I never really learned to make a lot of the "traditional" things that many people seem to miss; on balance, I think I like meat analogues a lot better than I ever liked actual meat. (For instance, I would never have eaten actual sausage gravy, but I'm all about veganizing it!)

(Also: Meatmeat's going to be all over this thread like meat on meat. I'm just sayin'.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I liked the "unhealthy" meats more (beef, pork) because it was harder to tell they they'd been an animal. Finding veins in my chicken breast or bones in my fish grossed me out to a really large degree, I think because I had some fledgling idea that eating animals was at odds with my ethics. The time that I bought a whole turkey and realized that I had to pull out a bunch of feathers that were still firmly attached to its raw, slimy body stands out as one of the all-time low points in my meat-eating career.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

I loved chicken, turkey, tuna and from certain places, carne asada. I could easily go without just about everything else though, especially ground beef *shudders*. Sausage and bacon were okay sometimes, but they still kinda grossed me out. It was the fat, the texture, the bones and strong flavor in most meat that just grossed me out. I was never that big of a meat person.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I did, all of the traditional things. I never ate anything considered exotic, but I liked it a lot. I didn't go vegan because I hated meat. I just couldn't eat dead bodies any longer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

designedtobekind wrote:
I didn't go vegan because I hated meat. I just couldn't eat dead bodies any longer.

Yes, exactly. I was a seafood fiend and I would be one of those awful bacon loving hipsters if I weren't so repulsed by eating corpses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So, for those of you who never liked meat, did you not like it simply because it tasted bad to you or you found the texture gross, or because you knew it was a dead animal and where disturbed by this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:31 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

I hated red meat when I was a kid but grew to like it as I got older. I always liked seafood, chicken and turkey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I remember always being a little put-off by meat that had inconsistent texture and I never liked it just by itself, like just eating a steak or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I never liked it. I would occasionally eat chicken or turkey, but only white meat, and I was picky about how it was prepared. Even then, I wasn't really into it. I would not touch beef or fish. I was an extremely picky eater in general, though. It wasn't just meat that I rejected. I basically subsisted on macaroni and cheese as a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I liked it ok, but was not overly into it. In fact I had never given much thought about it - it was something that came with the meal my mother prepared. Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I liked it ok, wasn't really fussed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i never liked steak, pork steak, not a big fan of eggs, hot dogs were okay..not too much i really did like back then.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I picked other. Some meat I didn't like at all. I was very picky with how my meat looked, and would remove any weird bits. I never at anything off of a bone, and didn't like seafood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I used to love fish & seafood. But everything else, not so much. Anyway, when I think about meat nowadays, it gives me a yucky taste in my mouth and I get the urge to brush my teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:52 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I LOVED meat. I was called "Wimpie" like from the cartoon Popeye's who would always ask him for money today and would claim to pay back whoever on Tuesday for a hamburger today - by my family. I never really made the connection between "chicken" and CHICKEN and ground beef and COW until I was like 10 or 11. I remember the day actually, it was a Friday night dinner and we were having a nice meal, and I was like, "Wait...chicken -is- chicken?" and my family looked a little embarrassed and was like "Yes." I stopped eating for a moment - I never knew about vegetarianism until I was 16 years old and since my family ate meat for almost every meal - I didn't really think there was an alternative. When I first heard about vegetarianism when I was 16, I thought it was the oddest thing. One of my cousins went vegetarian and it was a big family ordeal. I was too desensitized at that point to really do much about it. I kind of felt like Hamlet - walking so far in blood - that it'd be just as messy to retrace the steps as to move forward or so I thought. So, I just didn't think too much about it.

Bounce ahead six years, and I had a complete mental breakdown. Basically, I developed schizoaffective disorder (which is under control now) and I really thought I had a satanic cult after me plotting to eat me. Turns out, it was just my serotonin was non-existent and my brain chemicals naturally got out of balance when the illness set in. I had a handful of people picking on me at college and I guess it was beyond my comprehension that people could be mean for no reason whatsoever so instead of thinking "Oh, they're being crassholes," it was "OMG, they are plotting to eat me." It was a slow development and people talking to me about cannibalism, satanism, and random stuff that was unrelated that somehow got connected into this dark epic tale. Anyways, I -knew- something was wrong, went for help, and everything worked out okay. I didn't know what was wrong but dude, when you think people are plotting to eat you - you either need help because it's in your head or you need help because of impending doom.

Anyways, a day or two after my complete mental breakdown - we went out to eat and it dawned upon me that eating meat was wrong. I didn't know about factory farming or environmental issues that went into it - but just had this moment of realization that eating meat was unnecessary and caused much suffering for the animals. Plus, I didn't want to be eaten, so I decided to extend the same courtesy to other beings. Chicken fingers -were- my favorite food at that moment but I didn't want to be a part of causing pain to another creature. So, I stopped.

It took about a month to get myself off meat. I tried to go cold turkey but I felt really weak and crummy so for about a month I ate meat once a week. After that, my body didn't need it anymore (or maybe the chemicals in it, haha) and haven't gone back since.

I went vegan about a year ago when my conscious couldn't handle oppressing cows and chickens. Rather, I thought I could deal with that on my conscious - but it got to the point I couldn't bring myself to eat animal products anymore. I've been vegan ever since. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

jessfive wrote:
I LOVED meat. I was called "Wimpie" like from the cartoon Popeye's who would always ask him for money today and would claim to pay back whoever on Tuesday for a hamburger today - by my family. I never really made the connection between "chicken" and CHICKEN and ground beef and COW until I was like 10 or 11. I remember the day actually, it was a Friday night dinner and we were having a nice meal, and I was like, "Wait...chicken -is- chicken?" and my family looked a little embarrassed and was like "Yes." I stopped eating for a moment - I never knew about vegetarianism until I was 16 years old and since my family ate meat for almost every meal - I didn't really think there was an alternative. When I first heard about vegetarianism when I was 16, I thought it was the oddest thing. One of my cousins went vegetarian and it was a big family ordeal. I was too desensitized at that point to really do much about it. I kind of felt like Hamlet - walking so far in blood - that it'd be just as messy to retrace the steps as to move forward or so I thought. So, I just didn't think too much about it.

Bounce ahead six years, and I had a complete mental breakdown. Basically, I developed schizoaffective disorder (which is under control now) and I really thought I had a satanic cult after me plotting to eat me. Turns out, it was just my serotonin was non-existent and my brain chemicals naturally got out of balance when the illness set in. I had a handful of people picking on me at college and I guess it was beyond my comprehension that people could be mean for no reason whatsoever so instead of thinking "Oh, they're being crassholes," it was "OMG, they are plotting to eat me." It was a slow development and people talking to me about cannibalism, satanism, and random stuff that was unrelated that somehow got connected into this dark epic tale. Anyways, I -knew- something was wrong, went for help, and everything worked out okay. I didn't know what was wrong but dude, when you think people are plotting to eat you - you either need help because it's in your head or you need help because of impending doom.

Anyways, a day or two after my complete mental breakdown - we went out to eat and it dawned upon me that eating meat was wrong. I didn't know about factory farming or environmental issues that went into it - but just had this moment of realization that eating meat was unnecessary and caused much suffering for the animals. Plus, I didn't want to be eaten, so I decided to extend the same courtesy to other beings. Chicken fingers -were- my favorite food at that moment but I didn't want to be a part of causing pain to another creature. So, I stopped.

It took about a month to get myself off meat. I tried to go cold turkey but I felt really weak and crummy so for about a month I ate meat once a week. After that, my body didn't need it anymore (or maybe the chemicals in it, haha) and haven't gone back since.

I went vegan about a year ago when my conscious couldn't handle oppressing cows and chickens. Rather, I thought I could deal with that on my conscious - but it got to the point I couldn't bring myself to eat animal products anymore. I've been vegan ever since. :)

Your story is absolutely amazing. Glad you made it out okay! And wow, something good actually came of that experience. I am inspired. = )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:07 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I really enjoyed meat. Mostly chicken and fish, but when I decided to go veg, I thought I was really going to struggle, however, it was wayyyyy easier than expected. The only thing I miss is shrimp and pepperoni.. for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:32 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Yeah, I was one of those people who didn't think it was a meal without meat. I definitely don't miss it at all now though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Veglicious wrote:
I liked it ok, wasn't really fussed.

Same. The only meat I truly loved were home-grilled cheeseburgers. I've never cared for poultry or big pieces of steak/pork chop/etc. and also never understood the big fuss about salmon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm 
ol' garly cooch

designedtobekind wrote:
I did, all of the traditional things. I never ate anything considered exotic, but I liked it a lot. I didn't go vegan because I hated meat. I just couldn't eat dead bodies any longer.

this. i grew up poor white trash and ate every kind of low grade z meat available. spam, vienna sausages, bologna, sizzlean, etc. my mom would buy a pig or cow every winter and we'd live off of it for a year. i never had the access to the 'finer' meat until i was older, and it wasn't until i learned about the hows that i started reevaluating how i wanted to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i was always picky about it and generally disliked all of it, and that which i did like i only liked certain ways, but i couldn't touch it and stuff like that. why eat something you're scared to touch? silliness.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

looooooooooooved it. loved.

Avert your eyes those of yea with weak stomachs:

I loved meat of all kinds, including raw stuff. Once, when I was teenager, I ate an entire family-sized meatloaf raw (I later had to lie to my mum about accidentally dropping it on the floor and having to throw it away in order to explain where it went). This was a huge meatloaf with raw egg, and Ritz crackers and onions and ketchup and whatever else. Crazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next