| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not Valentine's Day Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I never used to have that many feelings about Valentine's Day whether I was single or in a relationship--like I don't get super bitter about being single for the most part, romantic gestures generally make me uncomfortable and I've actually never celebrated it with a significant other either, but I like hearts and candy and I used to get really into making message heart cookies and truffles and whatever for friends. I have a lot of love and cool stuff in my life blah blah whatever.

HOWEVER.

This is literally the third Valentine's Day I've had where I had a really rough break-up in the weeks prior. (THIRD!)

Now that I'm older the majority of people I know are in serious relationships or married which is great for them but you know, they're all busy.

Doesn't help that my ex made exciting Valentine's Day plans for us (so it would have been my first time being cheesy and celebrating) before breaking up with me.

Uh what are you doing today that's not related to Valentine's Day? I'm going to yoga and if the yoga teacher starts talking all philosophical about love or something I'm walking out.

(If you're in a relationship but you're not celebrating because you're just not into it shhhhh talk about it in a different thread.)

Post subject: Re: Not Valentine's Day Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I was in a relationship I never did Valentine's Day, and now that I'm single I'm glad that there's no pressure or explanation needed for skipping it! Today I updated my blog, went for a long walk on the beach, drank nice tea and visited my small cousin who made me be Ironman.

"omit bacon and gelatin, substitute wheatgrass and bitter tears"- Erika

"ETA: Raisin v. Potato: Whoever wins, we all lose." - Erika

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:31 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that no matter where you are, Valentine's Day is about managing expectations. The media shows us a pretty unrealistic view of how people are expected to celebrate, and not everyone has the kind of partner who has unlimited funds and really does like to whisk you away to a foreign beach at a moment's notice and shower you with vegan food and conflict-free jewelry. To your last caveat, I am in a relationship, but I do wish we were celebrating more. I definitely would be into being whisked away for a vegan meal and showered with chocolate.

I'm eating leftovers and on the PPK and FB talking about the impact of Scalia's death. It's wonky, but it completes me.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:39 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I honestly don't have a romantic bone in my body (something that has totally caused conflicts in past relationships, including this last one) but I did really want an excuse to go to Departure (she made reservations right after the new year because she knew I wanted to go).

But now I'm going to eat english muffin pizzas and watch movies with a friend and drink a few bottles of champagne so that's nice too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending you good thoughts S.Rock. It sucks to go through a breakup right before Valentine's

My ex broke up with me before Christmas 2003, and I saw Love Actually in theaters right after and I have never cried so hard in my life. It sucks to see the images of really happy romantic people when you're feeling really low and like you're never going to find love. I still hate that movie and all the smug people in it.

So many hugs. Enjoy your evening - English muffin pizza and champagne sounds nice.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My day is full of spiders and dirt. Today, for me, is all about planting peas. My fingernails are crusted with potting soil. I've got snow peas soaking, and will plant them outside before it gets dark. I knicked the seedcoat of the flowering sweet peas, then soaked them in water (they have spotty germination otherwise, so I'm trying new tricks), and some of their little tails started emerging after 20 minutes or so! 36 little sweet pea plants are hanging out in their flat. I would like to plant another seed pack, but I need to clean more trays. They're full of spiders because we store them outside in the winter. And earwigs!

Last night I made a good tomato, orzo, white bean and collard green soup. It's on the stove heating up for my lunch. I ran out of chocolate chips so I might leave the house to get something dessert like.

It can definitely be a tough day if you're feeling alone. Sending nice thoughts your way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This was supposed to be my weekend off so I had planned to go out with the conservation volunteers and get some fresh air- hack down invasive trees/bushes/undergrowth and build paths and make a bonfire. But work begged me to come in today as they were short-staffed and couldn't get any cover, so I spent 13 hours washing a variety of bottoms and being sworn at by an angry man.

I'm home now eating crisps and drinking tea and I found a heart-shaped crisp, which is amusing timing given the date (I don't eat crisps all that often so finding a funny-shaped one isn't a frequent occurrence for me). It is obviously meant to be for you, Strawberryrock! (Hope you like (vegan) salt and vinegar flavour!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This weekend suddenly became the weekend to replace the ceiling in our dining room and priming the trim and walls. We will probably save painting for next weekend.

I also ended up at the vet with Quita. She randomly started circling on the side of her good eye and will only turn on that side. There's nothing wrong with her eyes or ears and she doesn't appear to be having a stress response to pain. So she's having some sort of neuro problem, or maybe has a brain infection, or maybe had a mild stroke? Maybe early stages of senility. She's being pretty normal otherwise.

So basically my house is a huge disaster and I'm climbing over furniture to get to stuff, and I'm scared to death for my dog.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I had a "popsicles and pride and prejudice in my bed" party with my single friends. platonic cuddling and popsicles and a 6-hour bbc miniseries so my single asparagus had a great valentines day. I have only ever gone through one valentines day as a couple and it was terrible and stressful and I never want to succumb to that pressure again!

I have a blog: https://emmelinecady.wordpress.com
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:18 am 
Nailed to the V

I went to work and got yelled at because our pilots thought it unsafe to attempt to land in Chicago, so that was fun! On the bright side, I got to see a bunch of my old coworkers and waived some fees for some super gracious people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:37 am 
BAD PASS

Steffers! wrote:
I went to work and got yelled at because our pilots thought it unsafe to attempt to land in Chicago, so that was fun!

If it makes you feel any better, the pilots were right!

I went into the city and hung out with some lady friends and had vegan pizza, and then drove home on the completely un-salted, mush-covered expressway with white knuckles, absolutely terrified I was going to spin out. I stayed around 20 mph, because my Prius doesn't get very good traction, and any time I braked for any reason, I skidded. A lot of other cars were also going the same speed, but then people with SUVs or heavier, non-skiddy vehicles were driving super aggressively, weaving and changing lanes (when the lines in the road weren't even visible) and it was scary as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 am 
Nailed to the V

I did my first stand up comedy show on V day! I also had group burlesque rehearsal so I took off all my clothes and whipped my fake dick out. I mostly forgot it was a holiday but you know what won't let you forget? Bob's Burgers and every sitcom probably, they have to have a holiday show for every stupid day of significance.

-alice1drland