| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What reasonably-priced things are you too cheap to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm sitting here looking at my kitchen floor and thinking that it needs mopping. Thing is, even though I can TOTALLY afford it, for some reason, I cannot bring myself to buy a mop. That means that instead, I get down on my hands and knees to clean the floor, which is no doubt more inconvenient and shitty than coughing up the $10 for a mop.

I have tried numerous times to purchase one, but every time I get to the drug store or co-op, I stand in front of the mops for an embarrassingly long period of time before deciding, "Nah, I don't want the spend the money." I regret it the INSTANT I leave the store. What the hell, JP?

What things are you irrationally against spending money on?

Post subject: Re: What reasonably-priced things are you too cheap to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Unless it brings me some kind of joy or amusement, I'm usually to cheap to buy it. This usually applies to things like face wash, shampoo, etc. I know I should go get more when I'm running low, but I usually wait until I absolutely need to buy more before I actually drag myself to the store.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Towels. Who needs more than 2? I do, but I won't cave.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 am 

And basically all spices ever. I don't stand in front of any display in the store longer than I stand in front of the spices wondering when I'm gonna use this, is it worth it? Do I have room?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:42 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Where do I start?
A cheap toaster. Our gave up the ghost about two months ago. I could have easily picked up one for $7 ($7!!!) and did not. Until this weekend when the blender died too. We need a toaster that works.
Scissors. I am a crafty sort of lady. I buy fabric like it is going out of style, but decent scissors, no way. I still don't have a pair.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Last edited by kfad on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I am really cheap when it comes to things like cleaning products for the house or stuff like shampoo/conditioner and other boring stuff. If I get no fun from it I hate paying for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 am 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
And basically all spices ever. I don't stand in front of any display in the store longer than I stand in front of the spices wondering when I'm gonna use this, is it worth it? Do I have room?

Get the spices in the bulk spice section of Whole Foods. You'll feel like you're ripping them off.

I have money for many things I need and yet I still don't buy them. I'm sure the list will come to me as others post... but I do quite frequently find myself saying, "nah, that can wait." Then, I inevitably need it a day later.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:48 am 

They never have what I need in bulk, our section is really small. Like maybe ten spices?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't know if I should admit this publicly, but underwear & socks. I know, embarrassing. I wear them until they are falling apart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

A food processor or a blender. I'm currently using an old bullet and the blades are so dull that it always leaves chunks of something. It also has a problem with the motor, so it smokes and makes a crazy noise. But I just won't buy a blender. I'm hoping I get one for Christmas.

And as long as I have a sharp knife, I'm probably not going to bring myself to buy a food processer. Although I really want it for hummus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:13 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

von m wrote:
I don't know if I should admit this publicly, but underwear & socks. I know, embarrassing. I wear them until they are falling apart.

"Eh, only two of my toes are poking out of these socks. I'm still okay."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wanted a steamer basket for years and years before I finally bought one. They're $5! Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

molly wrote:
I wanted a steamer basket for years and years before I finally bought one. They're $5! Ridiculous.

Yes!

I thought of another thing: hair elastics and bobby pins. They are literally $2 for about 50, but I still will keep using the same stretched-out elastics and bent-ass bobby pins because I don't want to spend the $2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have a mop either!

My stupidist is my laundry basket. I bought it at Target when I first moved out of home, 12 years ago, it is so broken that it is really hard to carry and the little bits stab me whenever I carry it. It hurts! I have even looked at new ones that don't even cost 10 dollars and then I think how mine still kind of functions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

von m wrote:

this. i just tossed some knickers this week that i'd had for, seriously, about fifteen years, because they were finally more hole than garment. also, toilet paper and coffee, both of which i steal from my office. and dish towels! i've had the same three for five years and refused to invest in more, even though i really needed them because i don't buy paper towels and use the cloth ones for everything. i finally broke down recently and bought about five of them for $1 each, but i stood in the aisle with them in my hand debating the purchase for ten minutes. and lately i've been too cheap for conditioner, i think it's been a month, maybe a month and a half. and a microplane. and new sneakers to replace these ones with the holes in the soles. everything, basically. total skinflint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 pm 

I had a pair of underwear just the other day that was being held together by ONE thread of elastic. That thread broke and I tied it back together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I need my bangs trimmed, around $7, yet I type this while pushing them out of my way. I won't do it myself or it will look like my 2 year old did it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Lotion. For some reason, lotion seems really, really expensive. I ration a few drops out of the bottle every day and using more seems wasteful to me. If I have to buy it more than once a year, I feel like I'm throwing money away. I don't even use fancy lotion, just some plain stuff from Trader Joe's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
They never have what I need in bulk, our section is really small. Like maybe ten spices?

You need one hell of a care package this Christmas.

Oh goodness yes, underwear. Who on earth has time to buy that? I need that money to spend on groceries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

New spoons. We only have 4 spoons for 3 people and it would be relatively easy to order more matching spoons online. They aren't very expensive, but every time I pull up the site to order more, I think "nah, we'll make do".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i love you guys. i can identify with easily half of the posts in this thread.

my worst seem to be the laundry basket (only half the spokes are broken! it's still OK!) and the socks and underwear.
OR, possibly, the fact that i drop the whole $15 to have my car cleaned maybe twice a year. I give blood more often. and my car is a snakepit. le sigh.

ETA: my list of things to buy online (that's been sitting here on the side of the computer for oh, six months):
-blender replacement jar
-food processor replacement jar
-sofa covers

the top two are being held together with crazy glue. the sofa is covered with a sheet. i swear i am usually a normal person.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

jordanpattern wrote:
I thought of another thing: hair elastics and bobby pins. They are literally $2 for about 50, but I still will keep using the same stretched-out elastics and bent-asparagus bobby pins because I don't want to spend the $2.

I was walking around the drugstore the other day with a $3 pack of barrettes and I was finally like, you know, I have two at home (that I always lose), I don't need to spend the money on these. Then I bought a $5 coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:46 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I have these red plastic plates and bowls from Target that I hate. Hate. Every time I'm in the dish aisle of any store, I think about buying new plates. There are decent sets in the $20-30 range, but I just won't do it. The other day, I finally broke down and bought two bowls. At this point, I'm waiting until the boy and I move in together (possibly this spring), because then I won't be able to use my roommate's good plates any more.

Also: microplane, pastry blender, immersion blender, nail polish remover (I always forget about it), dish towels, jars for dried goods, and frames for posters.

Oh, and a new keyboard for my laptop. I spilled an entire bowl of granola and soy milk on it last year sometime. The keys stick terribly, so I have to go back every few words to fix the many, many typos. It's only $40. Why haven't I bought it yet???

ETA: Apparently, this thread has inspired me to bite the bullet. I just ordered a new keyboard. Yay!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Last edited by kara kara on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:02 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Pretty much all of these (except spices) used to be true of me. But I moved in with Matt who is a compulsive buyer. Now we have 6 laundry baskets, an entire box of deodorant, at least 8 screwdrivers, and piles and piles of dental floss.

But note that I am using the one box of dental floss with a broken "cutter". Every day, I have to break off my piece of floss on another box.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

kara kara wrote:
I have these red plastic plates and bowls from Target that I hate. Hate. Every time I'm in the dish aisle of any store, I think about buying new plates. There are decent sets in the $20-30 range, but I just won't do it. The other day, I finally broke down and bought two bowls. At this point, I'm waiting until the boy and I move in together (possibly this spring), because then I won't be able to use my roommate's good plates any more.

I think I have the same plates and bowls. They suck. I keep waiting to buy new ones 'cuz I figured we'd be getting married sooner than later and could register. 1.5 years later, I still hate those plates and its 4 months until the wedding.

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next