| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What reasonably-priced things are you too cheap to buy?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

sheets and pillowcases. i mean, i know that a sheet set is only like $30. but it just seems so ridiculous! will not buy!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pinko wrote:
I have this silicone spatula that got caught in the food processor blades and now has these little gashes where stuff gets trapped. The dishwasher doesn't get the stuff out, so I have to wash it by hand and like scrape out the gunk. Every time I do it I'm like, "God! Just buy another spatula!" But I never do. Because it still does the job. It's just gross.

And pretty much anything that I think I could make myself. Never mind that I don't actually ever make the items in question. I just can't bring myself to buy them because I could, in theory, make them.

this made me giggle because it's so much like me. i did the exact same with a silicone spatula... although i did eventually buy a set of bamboo spatulas that i found for $7 (a steal, really, for 5 good bamboo spatulas!). i still don't think i've thrown that other one away though.

and i'm forever thinking about all the stuff i could be making, so as to not pay for them. but...never happens.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This thread is giving me a panic attack. The split ends! The worn out shoe soles! Eeek!!! I justify things by not going out to eat for months and months. I figure I used to do that all the time and now that I don't I can spend that money on other things. I went a year or so without going anywhere but subway. That is a lot of haircuts.

I want to raid all of your guyses closets and show you how cheap you can have a new wardrobe that is cute and flattering. It takes time to find all of that stuff for cheap and in good condition but I've been doing mostly used clothing for about 10 years now. Maybe someday I'll start that sewing and vegan fashion blog...

Oh, but make-up. I have had the same make-up for god knows how long, most of it is vegan... maybe all of it. Who knows, it's old! There's nothing wrong with it since I just started using it lately.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:11 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Sra. Nooch wrote:
This thread is giving me a panic attack. The split ends! The worn out shoe soles! Eeek!!! I justify things by not going out to eat for months and months. I figure I used to do that all the time and now that I don't I can spend that money on other things. I went a year or so without going anywhere but subway. That is a lot of haircuts.

I want to raid all of your guyses closets and show you how cheap you can have a new wardrobe that is cute and flattering. It takes time to find all of that stuff for cheap and in good condition but I've been doing mostly used clothing for about 10 years now. Maybe someday I'll start that sewing and vegan fashion blog...

Oh, but make-up. I have had the same make-up for god knows how long, most of it is vegan... maybe all of it. Who knows, it's old! There's nothing wrong with it since I just started using it lately.

If you start a blog that shows me how to dress myself on the cheap I would love you forever and ever. I would like to stop wearing clothes that look so worn and shoes that let in water!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm sitting here looking at my kitchen floor and thinking that it needs mopping. Thing is, even though I can TOTALLY afford it, for some reason, I cannot bring myself to buy a mop. That means that instead, I get down on my hands and knees to clean the floor, which is no doubt more inconvenient and shitty than coughing up the $10 for a mop.

I have tried numerous times to purchase one, but every time I get to the drug store or co-op, I stand in front of the mops for an embarrassingly long period of time before deciding, "Nah, I don't want the spend the money." I regret it the INSTANT I leave the store. What the hell, JP?

What things are you irrationally against spending money on?

This... we've needed a proper mop for over a year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:18 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

my laundry basket is of the broken pinchy kind, but I can't find one I like that I can afford (so I want a shocking pink one, surely I should be able to find one for under £5...) so I just have to carry it away from my body so I don't get hurt by it.

I'm another one who won't spend money on good shoes (I buy most of my shoes secondhand on Ebay) or have a haircut unless I need one. Unfortunately I had a fringe/bangs cut last time around so I do need to have it trimmed now, I love the cut but am wondering what I was thinking in terms of having to spend the money every 6 weeks having it trimmed. My kids are both squinting through their hair too as I put off having their hair cut as long as possible even though it's only £5...

I won't spend more than £5 on a t-shirt and it better be a nice thick one and not flimsy and horrid. I won't spend more than £15 on a pair of jeans. I think when it comes to clothes that section of my brain that says how much things should cost was born in the 50's or something, £30 for a blouse, really?? Luckily I sew so beyond underwear, jeans and plain t-shirts I make what I need.

I needed a winter coat for 3 years, I've not had a new coat in 10 years (the worn out one I've been wearing the last few years I made) but until I found one that was only £18 I wouldn't buy one even though the old one was horrible and I hated it.

I own 2 bras, one doesn't fit very well, but the idea of spending money on them and having to try them on to find something that fits drives me insane...

Oh, and I finally treated myself to a nice eco mop about 6 months ago as I hated my old mop. I've still not used it and my kitchen floor is horrible, maybe one day...

Now, when it comes to knitting yarn, fabric and books I will spend whatever I can spare...

Anna

I can't think of a single interesting quote to put in this space...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

B_A_D wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I'm sitting here looking at my kitchen floor and thinking that it needs mopping. Thing is, even though I can TOTALLY afford it, for some reason, I cannot bring myself to buy a mop. That means that instead, I get down on my hands and knees to clean the floor, which is no doubt more inconvenient and shitty than coughing up the $10 for a mop.

I have tried numerous times to purchase one, but every time I get to the drug store or co-op, I stand in front of the mops for an embarrassingly long period of time before deciding, "Nah, I don't want the spend the money." I regret it the INSTANT I leave the store. What the hell, JP?

The mops at the supermarket that's walking distance to my apt. are like 17 or 18 bucks, it's ridic! I ended up buying a shitty mop for like 12 bucks that doesn't work very well, but it was the cheapest one. It killed me to even buy it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:52 pm 
Impressive boner

I need a new winter coat because the one I've had since 2002 is almost threadbare. But it's not quite threadbare so I haven't bought a new one yet.

I threw away my potato masher about 6 weeks ago because it was almost broken and I've been mashing potatoes with a fork instead of buying a new masher. I tell myself it's because I haven't found the perfect one yet (which is untrue - I saw the perfect one in John Lewis for £8 two days ago.) but it's because I'm too tight to buy a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Fee wrote:
Towels. Who needs more than 2? I do, but I won't cave.

Oh boy... it would be my great pleasure to send you some towels. You certainly need more than two.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I agree on the towel thing- I think we have three. Boyfriend's beloved giant brown towel that no one else can use, and a couple of others that I've stained with hair dye on numerous occasions.

I know that I should have more, and should even probably have towels that match. But towels just seem to me like one of those things that I shouldn't have to buy for myself. They're the kind of thing that family members buy for you as a push towards being more grown-up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Clothes and haircuts.

I'm currently wearing jeans that i bought 6 years ago second hand on half price jeans day, and a shirt I got for free. I just shave my hair off myself with cheapo clippers every 6 months or so.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yep, all of this-- you all are my people! I'm still wearing sweatpants to bed that I bought when I was pregnant-- and my son is almost 7. My laundry basket is from when I was in college (so 12-14 years ago). The handles come off and get lost all the time, but I always find them... sometimes months later. Must be a sign.

Oh, and my mop! I freaking AGONIZED over buying one. When I finally found one that seemed both functional and affordable, I got paranoid over the fact that it was a weird brand I'd never heard of and was afraid I wouldn't be able to buy a replacement head when I needed one (probably a couple years from now). So I hunted down a store clerk and made him swear on the graves of all his ancestors that they would continue to stock replacement heads indefinitely before I would commit to the purchase. I even talked myself out of the extra $3 to buy a replacement head right then to save for later.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sra. Nooch wrote:

I want to raid all of your guyses closets and show you how cheap you can have a new wardrobe that is cute and flattering. It takes time to find all of that stuff for cheap and in good condition but I've been doing mostly used clothing for about 10 years now. Maybe someday I'll start that sewing and vegan ...

That would be awesome!! I'd love to just have a wardrobe of vintage-y, thrifty store type of clothing. I've never even stepped inside a thrift store because I'm on the larger-sized end of the spectrum and just know there wouldn't be any cute clothing available in my size. Or even to learn how to make your own clothes would be great!! You should totally do a blog or something.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I identify with soooo many things in this thread...

Clothing: When I had to buy black trousers for a new job I was appalled at the idea of having to spend money on them, so I went to the thrift store and bought the cheapest ones that would fit me: size small maternity pants.

Haircuts: I have not had a professional haircut in 4 years

Mops: I too refused for the longest time to buy a mop. Finally I broke down and bought one at the dollar store. Then one time my well-meaning mother visited and broke it during her attempts to SECRETLY DRY MOP my apartment while I slept, and I never replaced it.

Towels: I have been drying my body with a facecloth for the past month. A couple of days ago I finally broke down and bought a $5 towel. This is seriously ridiculous, as I buy $5 coffees at least a couple times per week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

B_A_D wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Swiffer Wet is the shiitake... I know it's not the most economical or green cleaning unit, but it IS fast and easy and I AM lazy when it comes to cleaning... I'll probably only use it JUST before someone comes over (which is a rarity).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sra. Nooch wrote:

OMG, I am the same way -- we almost never go out to eat and pretty much all our clothes are second hand (everything but socks and undies). My husband looks like a scarecrow, but my kids and I look pretty good. I cut all our hair.

It takes a little time to find your thrifting groove (how to find the good stuff in racks of crepe, finding the good thrift shops, etc.), but it's totally worth it (and way more fun). I dress WAY better now than when I bought all my clothes new. (I've bought cutlery and plates and even sheets second-hand. I actually try to get as much second-hand as I can, but I have had to draw the line because sometimes it's easier and cheaper or just a better idea to get the stuff new -- like a dehumidifier. I am still shocked that I bought a dehumidifier -- it's like I can't deny being an adult anymore.)

That said, my husband does not want me to spend, what, £8 to get a cutting board. We have this tiny wooden cheese cutting board that our old roommate left when he moved out. It is so small!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ScooterDiva wrote:
Sra. Nooch wrote:

I want to raid all of your guyses closets and show you how cheap you can have a new wardrobe that is cute and flattering. It takes time to find all of that stuff for cheap and in good condition but I've been doing mostly used clothing for about 10 years now. Maybe someday I'll start that sewing and vegan ...

That would be awesome!! I'd love to just have a wardrobe of vintage-y, thrifty store type of clothing. I've never even stepped inside a thrift store because I'm on the larger-sized end of the spectrum and just know there wouldn't be any cute clothing available in my size. Or even to learn how to make your own clothes would be great!! You should totally do a blog or something.

You'd be surprised! It takes some time and you have to try to not be disappointed if you leave a store empty-handed (I do that most of the time), but awesome thrift store clothes do come in all sizes.

Also, if you live in the US, you have it way easier because your thrift stores are so big. AND if you are lucky enough to live near a Goodwill Outlet, where everything is priced by the pound, you are really lucky. When I lived in PDX, I practically LIVED in their (warehouse-sized) Goodwill Outlet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Another thing- pot lids. I think I have one pot lid, and the pot that it goes with has long been burned and ruined. Every time a recipe tells me to tightly cover the pot, I put a chopping board or a plate on top of it and hope for the best. I've warped one of our cheap, plastic chopping boards doing this.

Yet I'm fine with spending the same amount that a lid would cost on cupcake wrappers. I have a whole cupboard full of the things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erinnerung wrote:
Another thing- pot lids. I think I have one pot lid, and the pot that it goes with has long been burned and ruined. Every time a recipe tells me to tightly cover the pot, I put a chopping board or a plate on top of it and hope for the best. I've warped one of our cheap, plastic chopping boards doing this.

I actually don't even have any plates at the moment so I've been using a tupperware lid to cover my pots...shame

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Scruffleupagus wrote:

Swiffer Wet is the shiitake... I know it's not the most economical or green cleaning unit, but it IS fast and easy and I AM lazy when it comes to cleaning... I'll probably only use it JUST before someone comes over (which is a rarity).

It's no substitute for a mop, though. I was kinda bummed when I bought mine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

A microplane. I've been such a lazy asparagus and my version of zesting is to grate the rinds on a traditional grater chop them up into zest size pieces. It's more tedious but every time i go to buy one I can never envision myself pulling out my debit card and actually spending my hard earned cash on it when I can just stick to my cheap method.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Erinnerung wrote:

Yet I'm fine with spending the same amount that a lid would cost on cupcake wrappers. I have a whole cupboard full of the things.

i can't bring myself to buy cupcake wrappers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Nice pots and pans! Yes, vijita, you really SHOULD throw out that scary non-stick $5 frying pan you bought at ikea 8 years ago that is probably killing you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
Nice pots and pans! Yes, vijita, you really SHOULD throw out that scary non-stick $5 frying pan you bought at ikea 8 years ago that is probably killing you.

Yes, this too. I have the Ikea saucepans, a frying pan and I used to have a wok from there. My mum has a full set of Scanpan cookware and every time I go to her place and use them, I feel like I've discovered religion. I repent my Ikea sins and vow my allegiance to quality pots and pans that require no scrubbing to clean. Then I see them in stores, remember how much they cost and sadly drag myself home to my flimsy but still reasonably functional pots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Definitely in the "I need a mop, but I'm too cheap to get one" camp. I always, ALWAYS put off cleaning the floor, but it seriously needs it. And when it gets really bad, I do get on my hands and knees to wash it. Sucks. A mop would actually help me so much, and they're so cheap... But try to reason with me at the store - it never works.

I also need a friggin' dustpan. Those things are like $2!!! But when I go to the store and see one, I'm like, "Oh, well I can use those weekly ad papers like a dustpan... And those are free!" and I don't grab one. But using paper as a dustpan doesn't work the same. There are left over little bits on the ground, and when that happens I always wish I had a dustpan. :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next