| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 27, 2016 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What reasonably-priced things are you too cheap to buy?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I need to cough up the $3 for a dustpan/brush. I sweep up the floor around the cat litter box every day using a full broom and the cracked, broken dustpan I have. It's cumbersome and annoying, and I would benefit greatly from the dustmop/brush set, but I'm too cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:04 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

jordanpattern wrote:
I need to cough up the $3 for a dustpan/brush. I sweep up the floor around the cat litter box every day using a full broom and the cracked, broken dustpan I have. It's cumbersome and annoying, and I would benefit greatly from the dustmop/brush set, but I'm too cheap.

If you're near an IKEA, they have a hand broom/dustpan combo for $1.99, I think. I got one and it works fine - and is cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:06 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Scooterdiva, I actually was at Ikea a few weeks ago and saw that and STILL didn't get it! I didn't want to spend the $2!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jordanpattern wrote:
Scooterdiva, I actually was at Ikea a few weeks ago and saw that and STILL didn't get it! I didn't want to spend the $2!

I think Mo mentioned this for your mop problem also but, the dollar store!!! Your floors are worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 am 
Inflexitarian

Update: Today i was at a Target a saw a microplane and thought to myself, I should buy it, it's so inexpensive but I didn't like the quality so I decided to buy nail polish that cost 2x more than the microplane itself. I hang my head in shame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was too cheap to buy a space-heater, though my room is freezing in the morning when I wake up really early and we don't turn on the heat unless absolutely necessary. My roommate broke down and bought me one and it is the BEST THING IN THE WORLD. It has a remote control and looks like R2-D2. Plus it was only like $30 at Wal-Mart. I know, I know, Wal-Mart is evil, but I'm just going to have to say that I'd buy another in a second.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I am happy to report that five years later (and with a significantly increased income), I am STILL too cheap to buy a mop and will still scrub the floors on my hands and knees like a mop-less fool.

In addition, I am currently too cheap to buy blinds, which I can afford, and can be easily purchased from a Home Depot less than two miles from my house.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need to be too cheap to buy a lot of things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:43 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Nick and I are too cheap to buy a decent umbrellas. Instead we bought crappy £2 umbrellas. Nick's has broken where the handle extends meaning that if there's a gust of wind the top will blow away and he will be left holding the handle (I feel like a bad person but I kiiiinda want to see this happen!) and two of my fold out bits snapped in half meaning that the metal pokes me in the head if I hold it too low. We're still to cheap to buy new ones. We have umbrellas in storage! These only need to last until July...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Haircuts, umbrellas, pens, and hot drinks when out.

I've never paid for a haircut- my mum used to pay someone she knew to come and cut the whole family's hair when I was little, and since I moved out I've just let it grow. I very occasionally get my mum or partner to trim the ends, but not often enough.

I don't have an umbrella. Mostly because I don't see the point- I wear a raincoat and I couldn't use an umbrella on a bike anyway. But sometimes I think one would be nice. And last time I had a job interview I felt it would have been more proffessional to carry around neatly folded black umbrella than a soggy, scruffy, blue raincoat, and I looked at an umbrella in a shop, but for some reason couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I was getting a lot of free pens for a while and now I hate having to buy them. It doesn't help that people are always stealing my pens at work so they don't last long. (I hear some workplaces supply pens. Mine doesn't but they are vital and agency workers never bring their own, and of course they're easy to forget to give back.)

I hate spending money on a cup of tea when I could make one at home for pennies. I understand that you're not paying for the teabag, but for the experience/ chance to sit in the warm; and for the wages of someone to make it, sell it to you and clean your cup; and for the rent on the shop etc but I hate it. I'll only buy a cup of tea if I'm absolutely freezing (or meeting a friend I haven't seen for ages).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I've never owned an umbrella, I just don't see the point

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm 
BAD PASS

The only umbrellas I've ever owned were given to me during storms by people who work at places with a lost & found full of umbrellas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

GreenDuck wrote:
I don't have an umbrella. Mostly because I don't see the point- I wear a raincoat and I couldn't use an umbrella on a bike anyway. But sometimes I think one would be nice. And last time I had a job interview I felt it would have been more proffessional to carry around neatly folded black umbrella than a soggy, scruffy, blue raincoat, and I looked at an umbrella in a shop, but for some reason couldn't bring myself to buy it.

Don't buy an umbrella in Scotland! There's a reason you pretty much never see anyone carrying one. I had one left here by a couch surfer a few years back and it lasted all of 30 seconds before blowing inside out and irreparably damaging itself (and it wasn't a cheap flimsy one either).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Professional haircuts or color. I do my own. I have really long hair and was quoted a small fortune to have it professionally colored. NO THANKS>

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I've never owned an umbrella, I just don't see the point

Same. I don't actually melt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Any sort of apartment decorations. We probably look like serial killers. But then, it's mostly that I don't know shiitake about decorating?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know if this is slightly embarrassing or not. When we moved into our house, the previous owners had painted it. It isn't bad, and we are just kind of lazy so we never changed the paint color. We even use some curtains they left.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:33 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Reasons I like umbrellas: 1- my tote bag isn't going to keep my camera dry. 2- it takes up less room in my backpack than a coat would. Also it's often warm when it rains so a coat wouldn't work. 3- I hate that rain makes my mascara run & sting my eyes!

I have also never paid for a haircut. I am considering getting my hair dyed at a fun looking salon in Tokyo though because I can't find fun coloured hair dye anywhere!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:03 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

lavawitch wrote:
Same. I don't actually melt.

One of my superpowers = I am waterproof!

Raingear > umbrella always.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:52 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Toothbrushes. I am not paying more than 30p for a toothbrush. Maaaaybe 50p if I'm feeling lah-di-dah. I use the cheapest, most pathetic ones I can find because you get 4 for 80p and they work just fine.

Paying more than a pound for a single toothbrush is lunacy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A new laptop. Mine barely works at this point (I can't use Chrome on it for one) takes forever to load and is running Windows Vista. I could buy one that suits my purposes for less than $300 yet I won't do it, even though I risk losing my files (I also won't by an external hard drive to back up my computer.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Sign me up for being too cheap to pay for a haircut. I have longish hair that I wear pulled back all the time anyway so I trim the ends myself. Why pay for a haircut when it'll be in a ponytail anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:
I am happy to report that five years later (and with a significantly increased income), I am STILL too cheap to buy a mop and will still scrub the floors on my hands and knees like a mop-less fool.

In addition, I am currently too cheap to buy blinds, which I can afford, and can be easily purchased from a Home Depot less than two miles from my house.

Don't get me started on blinds. My lower level ones are all broken from when my first cat was a kitten (he'll be 13 next month) and the upstairs blinds are ~8 inches too short for the windows they are in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gulliver wrote:
Toothbrushes. I am not paying more than 30p for a toothbrush. Maaaaybe 50p if I'm feeling lah-di-dah. I use the cheapest, most pathetic ones I can find because you get 4 for 80p and they work just fine.

Holy crepe toothbrushes are cheap where you are! Even at the dollar store they are rarely less than three bucks.

Speaking of lunacy, in a moment of lunacy I once bought a bamboo toothbrush from the health food store for $12 and my husband mocked me ruthlessly, claiming it would immediately decompose, but then it lasted months longer than plastic toothbrushes. My teeth were so incessantly virtuous.

I'll add my too cheap contribution: food containers. As it goes, all of the lids have disappeared, but instead of replacing them I just fold cling wrap or foil over the containers because I am way too cheap to replace nice glass containers just because the lids slid into the black hole where all tupperware lids go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Holy crepe toothbrushes are cheap where you are! Even at the dollar store they are rarely less than three bucks.

Speaking of lunacy, in a moment of lunacy I once bought a bamboo toothbrush from the health food store for $12 and my husband mocked me ruthlessly, claiming it would immediately decompose, but then it lasted months longer than plastic toothbrushes. My teeth were so incessantly virtuous.

I'll add my too cheap contribution: food containers. As it goes, all of the lids have disappeared, but instead of replacing them I just fold cling wrap or foil over the containers because I am way too cheap to replace nice glass containers just because the lids slid into the black hole where all tupperware lids go.

Wait wait wait- you can buy things at the dollar store that are more than $1 each? I thought the single price was the whole point of the concept? (Here, everything at the Pound Shop is £1 each, or 2-for-£1 or 3-for-£1 for smaller items).

My partner also refuses to spend money on toothbrushes but he just never changes his brush. In fact the last two that he's had I gave him because I was disgusted at how splayed-out the old bristles were. I need to get him another one because his current toothbrush is getting really bad and I would like him to have a clean mouth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next