| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What reasonably-priced things are you too cheap to buy?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

The bad thing with being too cheap to get a haircut or not knowing anyone who will do it for free or low cost is that when you finally do go in and tell them it's been (right now I'm at 2 years) years since your last haircut, they get like..mad at you. Or act like you lack basic hygiene. I wash it, I just don't care that it looks like shiitake 25/8!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Fee wrote:
The bad thing with being too cheap to get a haircut or not knowing anyone who will do it for free or low cost is that when you finally do go in and tell them it's been (right now I'm at 2 years) years since your last haircut, they get like..mad at you. Or act like you lack basic hygiene. I wash it, I just don't care that it looks like shiitake 25/8!

i haven't paid for a haircut in something like 17 years. i've let friends cut it, but mostly i cut it myself. it could look better, but i don't think it looks awful. i figure if the stylist can't tell the second they see you that you haven't been dealing with professionals lately, they can't really say anything. but i know they will. a friend here was working toward her cosmetology degree recently and was looking for people to come into her salon for student haircuts. i volunteered but told her that i'd appreciate a style i could maintain without gadgets or products, since i don't own any of those things, and she turned me down.

lycophyte wrote:
[Also coffee filter people: http://www.google.com/search?q=reusable ... 24&bih=509 there are reusable filters. For 2x the price of a box of filters you could never buy a filter again.

it's true! i've been using the same reusable filter for almost five years. i'm not too cheap to pay up for things that will replace things i'm already buying. it's the stuff i've never had or don't pay for every month that i can't force myself to open my wallet for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
WRETCHED

I am also generally too cheap for a haircut. Well I'll get my hair cut every once in a while. I like my hair short, I can't cut it myself and have no friends who can cut it for me (although even then, I'd give them some money).

Right now, I'm living in headbands because I want to cut my hair but don't want to go get it cut. (and should I mention that I don't mind spending up to $20 on a headband?)

On a related note, I was talking to someone at my gym yesterday and she said she went and got a facial and the person who gave it to her said she should get one every 2 months. I said I've never had a facial. I think I can wash my face by myself?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Yup, haircuts are another thing. The last time I got a haircut it was for my 19th birthday and it cost a ridiculous amount of money (like £75 or something). That was about five and a half years ago and I just cut my own hair now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Everyone else's aversion to haircuts is making me feel better about myself. I haven't had mine cut since June 2009, and I'm not good to my hair. I dye it, straighten it and am generally awful. It's a mess, but haircuts around here are at least $80 and I just refuse to pay that much on principle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Haircuts I resent, I used to never cut my hair, but I look pretty bad with long hair. So now that its short I want it to stay short, and its twenty dollars for a hair cut. And I need one every two months, my hair grows ridiculously fast. And now the hair stylist is remembering me and cutting my hair the way she thinks she remembers it to be instead of what I'm telling her. I coughed up twenty bucks last month and now it needs to be cut again because no one believes me when I tell them how short I want it. Gah.

I really need to buy curtains but I just don't want to pay for it. I have two pillowcases and an old skirt pinned up in my window. Once my mom bought bamboo blinds for me, but they don't do anything, you can see right through them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:11 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

acr wrote:
von m wrote:
I don't know if I should admit this publicly, but underwear & socks. I know, embarrassing. I wear them until they are falling apart.

this. i just tossed some knickers this week that i'd had for, seriously, about fifteen years, because they were finally more hole than garment. also, toilet paper and coffee, both of which i steal from my office. and dish towels! i've had the same three for five years and refused to invest in more, even though i really needed them because i don't buy paper towels and use the cloth ones for everything. i finally broke down recently and bought about five of them for $1 each, but i stood in the aisle with them in my hand debating the purchase for ten minutes. and lately i've been too cheap for conditioner, i think it's been a month, maybe a month and a half. and a microplane. and new sneakers to replace these ones with the holes in the soles. everything, basically. total skinflint.

I found a pair of knickers that say age 10 in them. I'm 16. My arse has grown a lot in the last 6 years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:17 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Everything. I'm such a cheap mustard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have this silicone spatula that got caught in the food processor blades and now has these little gashes where stuff gets trapped. The dishwasher doesn't get the stuff out, so I have to wash it by hand and like scrape out the gunk. Every time I do it I'm like, "God! Just buy another spatula!" But I never do. Because it still does the job. It's just gross.

And pretty much anything that I think I could make myself. Never mind that I don't actually ever make the items in question. I just can't bring myself to buy them because I could, in theory, make them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Erinnerung wrote:
Decent, black flat shoes. Rather than buying one pair of well-made black flats, I buy a shitty $5 pair, wear them until they literally fall apart around my feet (usually a week later), superglue them back together, keep wearing them until they fall apart again, superglue again, repeat for a few weeks, eventually give in and buy another pair of identical $5 shoes. In the long run it would be much cheaper to just buy one pair of good shoes, but I just can't do it.

Also this! I have a pair that I paid $10 for and the soles are separated from the rest of the shoe so water gets in and soaks my feet and there's electrical tape holding one of them together where my dog chewed it, but I just can't seem to buy a new (decent) pair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

kfad wrote:
Scissors. I am a crafty sort of lady. I buy fabric like it is going out of style, but decent scissors, no way. I still don't have a pair.

Ditto on the scissors. With the pitiful pair I have now, I may as well be rocking some Fiskars meant for toddlers.

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
I have this silicone spatula that got caught in the food processor blades and now has these little gashes where stuff gets trapped. The dishwasher doesn't get the stuff out, so I have to wash it by hand and like scrape out the gunk. Every time I do it I'm like, "God! Just buy another spatula!" But I never do. Because it still does the job. It's just gross.

And pretty much anything that I think I could make myself. Never mind that I don't actually ever make the items in question. I just can't bring myself to buy them because I could, in theory, make them.

Same! I was going to come in here earlier to talk about my silicone baking mat. It's all sliced up because I sliced banana bread on it (......). It has huge gashes on it, but it still pretty much works.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

jordanpattern wrote:
Dane wrote:
Haircuts most definitely. I put them off for so long so that my hair get all shaggy and I can only put it in a ponytail, then I finally get it cut and swear I'll do it more regularly. I'm at the "gooddammit I need my haircut" point in the cycle. It hasn't been cut since March.

I haven't had a hair cut in 3 years, so my hair is just LONG. I do get my bangs trimmed occasionally. Right now, my bangs are super long, and I'm just now working up to spending the whopping $7 (including tip!) for a trim on my lunch break.

I used to be more like this when I lived with a roommate who I could get to trim the ends for me. I am inept at doing this myself and my husband is just as bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Shy Mox wrote:
I really need to buy curtains but I just don't want to pay for it. I have two pillowcases and an old skirt pinned up in my window.

win.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

pens and highlighters.

I steal them from my roommates usually.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Bleach. I know it's useful, I know it can make my white laundry cleaner, I know it can disinfect my water bottle, and I know it's good for cleaning pretty much everything, but I don't wanna buy it. I'm more concerned with spending my money on music shows and expensive sandwiches.

Winter boots. I know I'll need them soon. I know they're practical. But I hate how they look, and I'd rather spend the $70 or whatever they cost on something frivolous.

A new mattress. Typically my beds tend to be hand me downs from old roommates, and I just abandon them when I move.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

CLOTHES. My wardrobe consists almost exclusively of hand-me-downs from my grandma and mom that I've had since I was 10 or 12 years old, band t-shirts, and thrifted everything else. Spending money on clothes is anathema to every ounce of my being, and I detest shopping for anything except books, records, and groceries. I wear everything until it's absolutely embarrassingly threadbare. Holes in shirts get covered up with 1-inch buttons. Holes in pants get patched, or I wear longjohns underneath. Right now, I am wearing a pair of pants that I thrifted in London in 1999, a pair of shoes I thrifted in Chicago in 2002, and a sweater that was donated to my family by a church when they surprised us with a Thanksgiving dinner in, I think, 1995. It was wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper and labeled "FROM: Santa! TO: girl, ages 11-14." Perfect!

Ditto curtains -- I usually just tape or nail up bedsheets. I bought a house before I bought my first set of curtains, and I only bought curtains because the sellers took all the window coverings.

We recently bought an immersion blender after YEARS of whining about not having one. It was $10 at Big Lots. It has been life-alteringly great.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

stephanie wrote:

We recently bought an immersion blender after YEARS of whining about not having one. It was $10 at Big Lots. It has been life-alteringly great.

I need to do this!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Pinko wrote:

Yeah, this is what I do a lot. My partner has been asking for a coffee table for a long time now and I just refuse to okay the purchase of one, because I feel I could make quite a nice one. But I still haven't...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yes, curtains! I'd forgotten about this earlier, but when I moved in to my current flat, my street-facing bedroom with giant windows had no curtains. After a few months of this my parents (who live in a different town) had to buy me curtains because my mum was increasingly worried about perverts outside - because I was procrastinating about buying curtains I'd never made temporary sheet ones (I'd just been turning the lights off and getting changed quickly).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I always go straight for the offbrand everything... I think it baffles Mr. Scruffy because we have the money for name brand stuff but I insist on Great Value ketchup, spaghetti, etc. I can't help myself.

I also refuse to spend money on cable because I can watch all my shows on my computer... Although we DID just score a 65" Home Theater TV... And I'm thinking Castle would be SUPER awesome to watch on it (since Nathan Fillion and whoever-plays-Esposito are basically life size and in my livingroom with that TV)... I might have to reconsider my stance on cable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Scruffleupagus wrote:
I always go straight for the offbrand everything... I think it baffles Mr. Scruffy because we have the money for name brand stuff but I insist on Great Value ketchup, spaghetti, etc. I can't help myself.

I also refuse to spend money on cable because I can watch all my shows on my computer... Although we DID just score a 65" Home Theater TV... And I'm thinking Castle would be SUPER awesome to watch on it (since Nathan Fillion and whoever-plays-Esposito are basically life size and in my livingroom with that TV)... I might have to reconsider my stance on cable.

Well there really isn't any reason to buy brand name stuff, so why would you?

Also, you can do what we have done. Hooked up a laptop to our TV via an HDMI cable. We watch Hulu on our living room tv.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
Scruffleupagus wrote:

Also, you can do what we have done. Hooked up a laptop to our TV via an HDMI cable. We watch Hulu on our living room tv.

I know! The only exception to that would be cleaning supplies. I read an article about how you actually use more of the offbrand than you do the namebrand thus burning through it faster thus actually costing you more money... I actually tested this with windex & all purpose cleaner one year... Yeah, I really didn't have anything better to do that first year of college. :-p

See, I wish I liked Hulu... It seems like they wait way too long to put stuff up and they don't keep older episodes. I loooove tv-dome.net, though... But something tells me it wouldn't work on a huge screen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Scruffleupagus wrote:
linanil wrote:
Scruffleupagus wrote:

I know! The only exception to that would be cleaning supplies. I read an article about how you actually use more of the offbrand than you do the namebrand thus burning through it faster thus actually costing you more money... I actually tested this with windex & all purpose cleaner one year... Yeah, I really didn't have anything better to do that first year of college. :-p

See, I wish I liked Hulu... It seems like they wait way too long to put stuff up and they don't keep older episodes. I loooove tv-dome.net, though... But something tells me it wouldn't work on a huge screen.

You never know, you could try it. Also, it varies by people's preferences but when we gave up cable, we reasoned that we could instead increase our DVD collection. We also hate commercials so that worked well. Now Hulu is adding 2 commercials to every break which is annoying me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:53 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Chalk me up as another one who doesn't want to pay for haircuts. I just trim mine a couple of inches or so when it gets long enough to be annoyingly heavy when it's in a bun.

I don't buy or rent movies - even though I'm always offered whenever the parental unit goes to the video store, I'll just download it. Thanks, lax Canadian law.

And garlic presses. I need a new one and have needed one for almost a year now, since I broke the other one making Caesar salad dressing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next