| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you do?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I start my job as a dietitian at a long term care facility tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous and excited.

How did the first day go?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Internet Marketing for a largeish non-profit in DC. I get to be on the internet all day and use zero % of my college education.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jogirl wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I start my job as a dietitian at a long term care facility tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous and excited.

Yes! How was it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:04 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I am a legal researcher/drafter of legal documents. I work remotely for a firm in Edmonton, doing real estatey stuff, and I take projects from my old boss in San Francisco, drafting motions and writs and briefs for her criminal defense practice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Moon wrote:
jogirl wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Yes! How was it?

aw thanks guys! It was good! The first day is weird cause you don't do much, but get shown around and try to get all your passwords and ID cards and things. So it was fine. We get free lunch in the cafeteria, which is pretty sweet. There is salad and roasted vegetables and roasted potatoes, so that worked out pretty well for me! the building is huge and confusing, so i am going to get lost for a while. I have 3 friends that work there (which is how I got the job) so that takes a TON of pressure off!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

lycophyte wrote:
I'm an interpretive park ranger.

This time of year I'm answering questions @ the Visitor Center and doing programs in schools.

I am also a park ranger in the interp division.. for Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.

I do kid's overnight camps and day camps teaching them about life in the 1840s in the West. We partnered with OMSI (oregon museum of science and industry) last year and that made it even better. The main goal of the camps is to bring in at-risk youth who might not ever have the opportunity to visit an urban National Park. I'm also in the VC and contact station and answering questions and meeting people from all over.

My favorite part is hanging out with 30 (feels like 200) kids who are all five years old and wanting attention and telling me about all kinds of wacky stuff and wanting to hold my hand and sit by me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ijustdiedinside wrote:

aw thanks guys! It was good! The first day is weird cause you don't do much, but get shown around and try to get all your passwords and ID cards and things. So it was fine. We get free lunch in the cafeteria, which is pretty sweet. There is salad and roasted vegetables and roasted potatoes, so that worked out pretty well for me! the building is huge and confusing, so i am going to get lost for a while. I have 3 friends that work there (which is how I got the job) so that takes a TON of pressure off!

Good that you have friends there, and It sounds great (especially lunch!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

julialegume wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
I'm an interpretive park ranger.

This time of year I'm answering questions @ the Visitor Center and doing programs in schools.

I am also a park ranger in the interp division.. for Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.

I do kid's overnight camps and day camps teaching them about life in the 1840s in the West. We partnered with OMSI (oregon museum of science and industry) last year and that made it even better. The main goal of the camps is to bring in at-risk youth who might not ever have the opportunity to visit an urban National Park. I'm also in the VC and contact station and answering questions and meeting people from all over.

My favorite part is hanging out with 30 (feels like 200) kids who are all five years old and wanting attention and telling me about all kinds of wacky stuff and wanting to hold my hand and sit by me.

wow, this sounds like the awesomest job ever! I love working with kids that age, too! I love all the weird stuff they tell you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

aww, ijdi, your job sounds great too! I'm so excited for you and your new chapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm an assistant book publicist! I help my bosses with their high profile authors and I am the publicist for more low profile authors. I do tons of stuff from pitching to media to get my books featured/reviewed as much as possible to bringing authors to interviews/media appearances to planning author tours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am 
Nooch of Earl

I make a broader contribution to society than could be fully recognized by money alone...but my educational background is in computer engineering (undergrad) and electrical engineering (microelectronics technology - thesis was with amorphous solar cell materials testing). Before marrying, I worked for a mathematical software company.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I work as a care assistant in a home for older people. I don't think I want to do it for the rest of my life (it's my first permanent job and I've only being doing it for 7 months) but at least I don't need to worry much about being made redundant. And it is a very important job where you can directly see the point of what you're doing.

I don't know what else I would do. I loved volunteering for the bicycle recycling charity, but don't feel I have the right sort of brain to be a paid mechanic. I liked working in the mail sorting centre, but I expect I would get bored doing that permanently. Children are just as stressful as older people with more running about. I would like to have the time and energy to grow food but there is no way I could be a farmer. Sometimes I think I would like to be a postman, but I think my family would think that isn't challenging enough for me and the pay isn't great. I'm wondering what it would be like to train guide dogs, but I don't even know if they do pay people for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:

You guys do such important work! We have a FT dietitian in our department, and she's integral to our care planning in ICU. (Also, I have an RD that I see every few months. When she's not working in her outpatient clinic she works at a PCH. Also, she's completely awesome and she's helped me a LOT.) HATS OFF! And good luck!

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

GreenDuck wrote:
I work as a care assistant in a home for older people. I don't think I want to do it for the rest of my life (it's my first permanent job and I've only being doing it for 7 months) but at least I don't need to worry much about being made redundant. And it is a very important job where you can directly see the point of what you're doing.

Awesome. :-)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

GreenDuck wrote:
I'm wondering what it would be like to train guide dogs, but I don't even know if they do pay people for that.

Oh, I just saw that last week on the Rick Mercer Report. There is a facility in Ontario where they train guide dogs. There were a lot of people around and at least some of them had to be paid staff. That would be a cool job.

Good luck with the new job, idji!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 pm 
A Bad Person

I didn't actually answer this? Whoops.

I'm a part-time network analyst for a big corporation. That means I configure switches and APs, but rarely troubleshoot, and no design. I also do a fair amount of discovering and documenting where our stuff is. And this is my last semester as a full-time student for a BS in management information systems. I've already been hired as a business analyst after I graduate, but I'm hoping I can stay in networking because this is a pretty sweet job, and all the people I'm working with are fairly awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I started as a network analyst (WAN vs LAN), I didn't configure too many switches but many, many routers then later on VPN servers, firewalls, proxy servers and such. I do some network design now but it is just something on the side when we are working with familiar/simple environments. Otherwise, I'm firmly entrenched in InfoSec now which means most people don't like me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am a graphic designer and artist. I currently work full-time as the in-house designer for a research organization at a university, but my position is being ended in June due to changes in grant funding. Hoping to find a new full-time job since not having health insurance scares the crepe out of me, but if I need to I'll just take on more freelance projects and maybe find something part-time. I'm lucky to have that option which puts me in a better position than most people who get laid off!

(If anyone needs any sort of design work shoot me a PM!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

brian wrote:

Yeah I just noticed I don't have a little black dot for this thread, weird!

I'm a florist! I know, you'd think I put all the super gay professions in a hat and chose at random with somethin' like that! It's totally in my blood though, I was bred to be the ultimate flower arranging machine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You should do a workshop for us! Those Christmas wreaths you did were amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mars wrote:
brian wrote:

I'm a florist! I know, you'd think I put all the super gay professions in a hat and chose at random with somethin' like that! It's totally in my blood though, I was bred to be the ultimate flower arranging machine.

What else was in that hat??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

choirqueer wrote:
Mars wrote:
brian wrote:

What else was in that hat??

Hat designer?

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fetalexplosion wrote:
Hat designer?

This was actually the result I got on a high school careers test. I still haven't attempted to make a hat, so who knows, maybe it was right and I've just been too lazy to uncover my unparalleled talent just yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

pixel wrote:
I am a graphic designer and artist. I currently work full-time as the in-house designer for a research organization at a university, but my position is being ended in June due to changes in grant funding. Hoping to find a new full-time job since not having health insurance scares the crepe out of me, but if I need to I'll just take on more freelance projects and maybe find something part-time. I'm lucky to have that option which puts me in a better position than most people who get laid off!

(If anyone needs any sort of design work shoot me a PM!)

print or digital design?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:35 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm a financial analyst at a large bank. I basically take numbers and make them look pretty. It's not a bad gig - great pay and benefits for 40 hour weeks with minimal stress - but I can't see myself doing something so unfulfilling for the rest of my life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next