| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 16
Ooookay. so i'm super not used to being around non-veg-friendly people. not all of my friends are non-meat-eaters, but many of them are and the rest are very open-minded and not at all obnoxious or judgy judgy (as i am not of them).

i have a job. i like my job. i like the people i work with. i like the particular individual i'm about to complain with.

i cook my lunch at home and bring it and eat it, and basically every day people are like "oooooooooh that smells goooood mmmmm you're soooo healthyyyy wooow" and this guy is a total sweetheart, and he's among them.

today:

"Wow, that smells really good! but oh yeah, i wouldn't eat it because i'm not vegan."


uh...?


"Oh. it's just... indian food," I say. "I mean, I cooked it. But you've probably eaten it before. At like an Indian restaurant. Unless you never get anything without meat."

"yeah," he says, "i always get things with meat at indian restaurants."

"oh," I say. "well hm."


what the fizzle!?!?!?! is it not a SUPER rude thing to say?? "Wow that smells great but your freakish vegan food freaks me out." PS IT'S JUST INDIAN FOOD YOU DOUCHE! indian food which is, with the subtraction of ghee, quite frequently vegan ANYWAY! i'm not like oozing nooch out of my bowl; there's not even any tofu or seitan in sight (it was an incredibly delicious spicy pumkin/daikon/carrot/kale/chickpea conglomerate with brown rice). and even if there WAS tofu or seitan, PEOPLE EAT TOFU AND SEITAN!


the thing is, he wasn't intending to be rue. it's just that there's this mindset that if something is Vegan-With-a-Capital-V then you "can't have it" because you "eat meat"


gwaeoirheowairhewahiorewa


okay rant over


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
I don't think it's really rude, it's just kind of a weird statement.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 767
Location: Central Virginia
Maybe he was having an 'off' day?

_________________
You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 652
that is really strange, I'd probably ask what his point was? A lot of my family eats meat and they don't mind eating vegan food-it's not like they have a vegan allergy if they consume meat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Reno, NV
Yeah, that doesn't really sound rude to me. It does sound like a great opportunity to open his mind, like--"really? you never eat cupcakes/bread/crackers/beans/salad/pasta? If I made something super super delicious would you be willing to take a little bite?"

People definitely have an idea of what "vegan" food is and I get that it can weird them out because it used to weird me out until people shared their food with me. It's pretty normal to be wary of the unknown.

But I'm sorry it ticked you off--obviously we're not getting the whole context and sometimes those comments can be annoying, even if they weren't intended to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6254
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
Aliks wrote:
that is really strange, I'd probably ask what his point was?


I would ask too. "That's great. And what exactly is your point?"

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9702
Location: Seattle
Not rude, just silly.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:05 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 6307
Maybe he's confused. If a vegan where to eat a meaty meal every once in a while then they would not be a vegan. So maybe he's reversed this and thinks that if an omnivore occasionally eats a vegan meal they will cease to be an omnivore! ( No, I don't really think he thinks this, but my response would have probably been based on pretending that was what I thought he was thinking.)

_________________
"We are simple people, my husband is a mechanic with dirty hands, my daughter is a blue haired lesbian who's favorite activity is making people uncomfortable." - torque


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:35 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: va
It's one of those strange things-some people presume "vegan" means "weird". My brother once asked me if I had "normal" ketchup. Many folks don't even realize that just by eating spaghetti with plain tomato sauce, they are eating a vegan meal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 524
Location: N. California
I think sometimes it's not a vegan-not vegan thing. Sometimes it's just a communication fail. People can be dumb.

_________________
"So this is guilt, huh? In the past, I've always just counteracted this feeling with other emotions, like sugar or drunk."- Veronica


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
I don't think it was particularly rude, just kind of an odd statement. A lot of the time, people just assume the label "vegan" means weird automatically. People eat vegan food every day!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:02 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Spokane, WA
I don't think I had ever eaten a vegan meal until I went vegetarian, and even then, it was rare. Unless you count Oreos and Dr. Pepper as a meal.

_________________
"All PPK gamers should put on their badge of shame right now. You will never leave the no-sex thread." - Vantine
"I'm so glad my prison of principles has wifi." - Abelskiver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
I wouldn't find it that rude. I would probably just laugh, and ask what life is like without eating fruit/salad/hummus/multitude of other things that 'normal' people eat without associating it with being vegan.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
hoveringdog wrote:
Unless you count Oreos and Dr. Pepper as a meal.

Bottom of the food pyramid, dude.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 504
not rude at all


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: PORTLAND!
I get things like that a lot. Like people have to have meat. All the time. They'll say things like "we can't go to that [vegan] restaurant because there's nothing for me to eat."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:20 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 8028
Location: Seattle
I always want to ask people like that, "Really? So you've never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
monkeytoes wrote:
I always want to ask people like that, "Really? So you've never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"


HA me too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:13 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 16
ooooooh posting when you're all pissed off. :) my coworker is a total sweetheart and i know he had no intention of being rude. it just struck me as odd. i went on a walk with my (omni) brother right afterwards and he was like, "weird, so chickpeas are too vegan too eat if you're officially an omnivore?" ....the responders who said things like "normal ketchup, please?" and "no pbj, ever?" are essentially what i felt like. not a rude statement, or at least not intentionally, but certainly one that made me scratch my head thinking, why do you think that something entirely normal is bizarre not because of its inherent bizarreness, but because *i*-- who am (is?)(are?)(hehe) vegan--- am consuming it?


is "who am vegan" grammatical? i'm gonna go with no. but y'know :)


aaaaanyway. i should have took a breather before clicking submit :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:58 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 539
Location: PDX
I got that same response when I made spaghetti for my sister and her husband. He asked if it was vegan and then asked for something else with meat in it.

Really? SPAGHETTI?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:24 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 1372
Location: sf
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Maybe he's confused. If a vegan where to eat a meaty meal every once in a while then they would not be a vegan. So maybe he's reversed this and thinks that if an omnivore occasionally eats a vegan meal they will cease to be an omnivore! ( No, I don't really think he thinks this, but my response would have probably been based on pretending that was what I thought he was thinking.)


This.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 388
Location: London, but Boston
joyfulgirl wrote:
I get things like that a lot. Like people have to have meat. All the time. They'll say things like "we can't go to that [vegan] restaurant because there's nothing for me to eat."


Exactly. This happens to me all the time and it drives me CRAZY! Like...dude, you can go for one meal without forking meat. In fact, by taking you to a veg restaurant I would be doing your body a favor and giving it a much needed break from unhealthy flesh thanksverymuch.

_________________
Moderately Important


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:53 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 142
Location: The North
I made cup cakes to take into work and one of my colleagues was really unsure whether to eat one as they were vegan as someone had told him they were (i generally don't tell people until they're eaten them, told me how great they are, etc)

He was like, 'but what do you put in it???! i don't think i can eat it'.
It ended up he thought it was great but was amazed that it could be.

This guy is a doctor...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:44 am
Posts: 197
Location: Baltimore, MD
monkeytoes wrote:
I always want to ask people like that, "Really? So you've never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"


I always ask where they buy their non-vegan apples.

_________________
Vegan Showdown Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: need to bisque because what the fizzle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am 
Offline
ol' garly cooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2828
Location: Kashyyyk
MacroVegan wrote:
Maybe he was having an 'off' day?



never underestimate the power of someone's off day. it's like a ripple effect, i tells ya. 90% of the craptastic spew that comes out of my piehole is unintended because i'm an awkward, and nebbish fool.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer