| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 946 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck, s'rock and e_c!

I was told I'd hear sometime from this afternoon about the interview I had last week. They had a few more people to see and couldn't get them in until today, which is why it's been so long. So now I'm gonna be nervous every time I have an email, although I suppose they might call me. I really hope I get this job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
Dead by dawn

I just applied for a job with amazon. They say a cover letter is optional, but for me it's really important to be able to interpret the mortgage industry experience on my resume and make it relevant to other areas, so of course I wrote one. But there's nowhere to attach it, nowhere to cut and paste it... just nowhere. So I guess I can forget about getting a call back on that one unless someone is really willing to read between the lines on my resume. Stupid. If I ever apply for another job there I will have to remember ahead of time to make a special combo cover letter/resume document to attach in the resume section. Gah, applying online is so frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Applying online is so frustrating. That is so annoying, monkeytoes.

Today when I went in to do stuff as a volunteer at the place where I interviewed last week and am interviewing again Monday, the executive director was telling me that there were a TON of qualified applicants, and I was kind of worried she was trying to prepare me to not get the job? But they are only doing two second interviews. And she also told me that a board member and two other volunteers applied and I don't think any of them got interviews. So this is definitely not a courtesy interview, anyway. She also said that the board member who was there for my interview was very impressed with me and suggested that I would be a good candidate to be the next executive director after she retires. Getting a little ahead of herself, but a good sign. But I am also freaking out because I will be SO let down if I don't get the job, both because it is the kind of work I want to be doing and I am terrified I will never find a job doing that sort of thing for people who aren't horrible, and because I am so exhausted of being so poor and calculating how much I have left in food stamps every time I'm hungry and whether I can afford cat litter and what bills will have to be late and how much longer I can defer my loans and how much interest I'll have paid on my credit cards by the time they're paid off if I keep paying the minimum payments (like $4000!) and all that stuff.

I wish it were just Monday now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I still haven't heard back about the job I interviewed for. They were supposed to have finished the interviews last Friday. It's making me really tense. Also, if I get it and they don't get back to me today, I can't resign until 3 January because the person who would take my resignation won't be here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Good luck Strawberry and Rachel. Rachel, regardless of what they told you, it can take a long time to make a hiring decision, so don't take it as a bad sign they haven't responded yet. But do check in with them early Tuesday so you won't have to worry over the holidays. And Strawberry, your chances look great, but if by some chance you don't get it, jobs in non-profits can turn over quickly, so there's still good hope because they really, really like you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Good luck, rachell! It's so freaking hard to be patient, but I'm guessing they've already checked out mentally and are probably not going to make any decisions before the holidays. Try to relax knowing you've done your best, and the decision will come once holidays are over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The thought of going back to work after break makes me start to tear up. I just can't do it anymore. I feel stupid complaining, I have great time off and benefits, but I'm so unhappy and my work/life balance is nonexistant. I hate hate hate being in NYC, I want to come back to Boston so badly! I've found some jobs at major hospitals here in Boston that I would love (in development. I currently do PR in publishing) and I know I would be a great fit, but I feel like these huuuge corporations might not see the value of my application from the online job site :/ Crossing my fingers!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:40 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

veggiepalooza wrote:
The thought of going back to work after break makes me start to tear up. I just can't do it anymore. I feel stupid complaining, I have great time off and benefits, but I'm so unhappy and my work/life balance is nonexistant. I hate hate hate being in NYC, I want to come back to Boston so badly! I've found some jobs at major hospitals here in Boston that I would love (in development. I currently do PR in publishing) and I know I would be a great fit, but I feel like these huuuge corporations might not see the value of my application from the online job site :/ Crossing my fingers!

Wishing you so much luck, veggiepalooza! Life is too short to be miserable at work. I tell myself this EVERY DAY. Something better will come along for you, probably when you least expect it.

I may have an escape in the works. I've got a handful of REALLY awesome co-workers who are leaving to start their own company. Their tentative departure date is Feb 1. It's looking like they might take me if they can make the numbers work. I will take a very significant pay cut and I've made that known. I'm actually a little teary even just thinking about it. I need this so badly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh man, ashley, I hope that works out for you! I gotta say, I am starting to sweat not having a job but not having seen or spoken to my douchey former boss type person has been soooooo nice. And he wasn't half as bad as yours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am 

Thanks, and good luck to you too!

When I did the math and figured out what my bare minimum expenses were, I realized I could survive on half my current income. I'm talking a beans and rice food budget and absolutely no frills, but I could do it and stay where I'm currently living. And afford gas to commute to the new office, which will be further away. Just knowing that makes me feel free, like I can say fork this place and just leave.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't get the job. And they chose today to tell me. Happy New Year, you weren't good enough. Oh well. I'll just keep looking and hopefully find something that doesn't require a 3-hour round trip commute.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Bummer, rachell. A 3 hour commute sounds pretty terrible though, so here's hoping that an even more desirable opportunity pops up soon.

Ashley, don't sell yourself short! I mean, it sounds like your job is terrible and it totally makes sense that you would feel desperate to be able to leave it, but even if you would take a huge pay cut, I hope you are selling all of your wonderful skills and all of the ways you can help make their company a success that makes tons of money for all of you to your coworkers, more than you are selling them your ability to work for pennies. Once you have established that you are willing to work for hardly anything, it can then be really hard to make your job re-prioritize paying you what you're actually worth, especially at a newish company where they are always going to have new things they could be investing their money in besides raising salaries, even a couple years down the road.

I hope it doesn't come across as too annoying to say this, because of course if it's an exciting opportunity and you can afford to take it, then awesome! But don't pre-emptively put yourself in a position where they're going to take advantage of your willingness to work for less money. Maybe even if they do offer you a position at a really low salary, you can negotiate a percentage of profit sharing once they are able to make a profit, or a guarantied salary raise to [x] amount once they reach profitability, or something along those lines? I hope it is not too annoying for me to say these things- I've been reading tons of advice on this topic and tons about how much women, specifically, undercut themselves during the negotiation process so I'm very pumped up about these issues lately! Anyway, the freedom of realizing you can get by on much less certainly is very freeing- maybe it can also help you in terms of saving really aggressively over the next few months even if you stay at your current job, so that then you can feel more confident about quitting even if you don't have something else lined up, or opens up new job possibilities for you like part-time work or something as well?

I had my second interview for the studio manager position I posted about before, and I felt like it was fine but I didn't do as well as I did in the initial interview. I just heard back from them, and I didn't get the position- but they did ask me if I wanted to join them as a painting instructor! I totally, totally do. I have a phone call scheduled to get more details on this, like how many classes a week do they have open to teach, what's the training process like, etc. but I'm super excited! I was actually thinking about asking them if they were hiring new instructors in the case that they didn't offer me the job, anyway. They pay $25/hour for what is generally a 3 hour class, which is way more than I've ever made hourly at any long-term job I've ever had. (I've made that much playing music gigs at holiday parties, but nothing that I would actually look at doing as regular employment.)

I'm really pumped about the idea of teaching a few classes a week, so that I have a guaranteed income that will at least cover rent and stuff, though not really any extras...and then having TONS of time to pursue freelance gigs during most weekdays, and develop ideas of my own that I've been tossing around for a while but really don't have the energy to invest in while working 40+ hours every week. Ahhhhh! I've been wanting to quit my job and try freelancing for quite a while, but I felt intimidated about doing that without any freelance client base built up already, but now I feel really good about it!

Also, one of the benefits of having a full-time job that offers almost NO benefits (I currently get one week paid sick time and one week paid vacation, plus like 6 paid holidays, which is nice but that's it, no medical insurance or retirement contributions or any of that stuff) is that I really don't feel like it's that much of a risk to go from having a full-time job to freelancing and part-time teaching work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 pm 

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply, Claire. I totally get what you're saying about undervaluing myself. I'm trying not to do that, but I also want to be realistic. I'm either doing this new job for less money (at first), or doing nothing for no money (until I find something else, of course), because I am leaving my job either way. The environment just gets more caustic every day and I'm miserable.

It's going to be commission-based (mortgage loans), so my pay will increase as business increases. That's why I'm anticipating making very little at first. As we get established, the money will come. That's my hope, anyway. I've always had a salary in the past, so this will be new for me, but I'm willing to try it. I will never excel financially at my current company, so I'm hoping a temporary decrease will lead to an increase in the future. It's a risk I'm willing and able to take, so if they make me a decent offer, I'm in.

Congratulations on your new teaching opportunity! Sounds exciting!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 pm 

double post

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 pm 

I'm so sorry, Rachell37. Hearing that makes me all the more glad 2013 is over. Even for jobs I didn't really want, getting the rejection notice was painful. You're such a great person though, and I have to believe that there's going to be something great for you soon.

ashley, I don't blame you one bit for wanting to leave that place. There's been more than one occasion where I'VE been spitting mad on your behalf because of what happens there (the xmas drive and turning that poor woman away, for one...grrrrr). It sounds like this could be a great thing. I certainly understand being willing to take a decrease in salary for an increase in quality of life.

that sounds great, electric_claire!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ashley wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

Wishing you so much luck, veggiepalooza! Life is too short to be miserable at work. I tell myself this EVERY DAY. Something better will come along for you, probably when you least expect it.

I may have an escape in the works. I've got a handful of REALLY awesome co-workers who are leaving to start their own company. Their tentative departure date is Feb 1. It's looking like they might take me if they can make the numbers work. I will take a very significant pay cut and I've made that known. I'm actually a little teary even just thinking about it. I need this so badly.

Aw many thanks Ashley! So true. And good for you for! Your posts are inspiring me to really get serious about leaving and taking it upon myself to change my situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am 
Dead by dawn

fork. Rejection email for a county job that I thought I had a good shot of at least getting an interview for. Happy new year to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm 

bummer, mtoes. It's really forking tough out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm 
Dead by dawn

I hope your first day is going swimmingly, pppp.

Three cover letters written, three applications in so far today. Two are admittedly a stretch but not ridiculously so. My goal is at least another three this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 pm 

Good luck monkeytoes! And everyone else looking!

I have GOOD NEWS. My potential job at the new company has materialized into an actual job. Sealed the deal this afternoon. We're hoping to be in our new office space by March 1 at the latest. I just have to figure out my timing, but it's looking like I'm going to give my notice on January 24, so I will be out of there by February 7. I don't know if my boss will actually want me to work those last two weeks, since he will be having a complete meltdown and take this as a betrayal. Whatever. Don't care! Bye!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 am 
Semen Strong

So happy for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 am 

Thanks Tofulish! I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in a very long time. It's like a giant weight has been lifted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 am 
Ninja Master

Congrats ashley ... im glad you finally get to leave that place. x

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yay, Ashley. Even with a pay cut I think it is a good investment in well-being to get away from that place.
Edit: Even if the pay is bigger than you expected I hope you continue blogging!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Dammit Ashley I'm so happy for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 946 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 38  Next