| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you! Now I just need to find some stuff around the house to sell so I can pay for the move!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Question: Five years ago, I took a job as a front-desk assistant, leaving a job as a departmental director, to spend more time with my family. Now that my child is older, I am interested in other work. I've applied to a several things, but am not getting much interest. A friend said that maybe I come off as flaky, having left a well-paying job with significant responsibilities to 'man a desk.' How do I make myself more attractive to a potential employer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

TheKillingMoon wrote:
Question: Five years ago, I took a job as a front-desk assistant, leaving a job as a departmental director, to spend more time with my family. Now that my child is older, I am interested in other work. I've applied to a several things, but am not getting much interest. A friend said that maybe I come off as flaky, having left a well-paying job with significant responsibilities to 'man a desk.' How do I make myself more attractive to a potential employer?

I wish I had some good advice. The main thing I can say is that you'll come off differently to each person that sees your applications. For me it's common to apply to a couple dozen jobs to get an interview and about a hundred to get a job, so it's all about patience. But there's definitely not one impression that people take from applications.

Many employers pay no attention to the dates of past jobs or don't care about strange gaps or changes in types of work until they get to talk to you. They're mostly looking for some interest/ability in their field and being responsible enough to apply timely without any mistakes. Beyond that it's basically luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

Thank you, Bathes in Braggs. I just applied to a director-level position, and hope that my cover letter will get me in the door for an interview. I really appreciate the encouragement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Well, that's annoying. I was waiting to get through some stuff before applying for a job (listed closing date: 31-07) and just went to reread the ad and finalize things, and the listing is gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:28 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lutin wrote:
Well, that's annoying. I was waiting to get through some stuff before applying for a job (listed closing date: 31-07) and just went to reread the ad and finalize things, and the listing is gone.

So annoying! I hate when that happens.

My update is that I was rejected after a phone interview for one job, and then the second job just.... never replied to my application? I sent a follow-up email, definitely to the correct email address, to check that they'd received my application etc, and no reply. Interviews for that job were meant to be held last Friday so I'm guessing I didn't get one, but I'm very unimpressed that they just never got back to me.

Meanwhile, I've just applied for a youth project development position, which I'm also really excited about, and hopefully will hear back about that eventually. Trying not to feel discouraged!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Hive mind! Please help!

Last summer I was job-hunting, and I applied for a job that I was SO EXCITED about. I went through either three or four rounds of interviewing (I honestly can't remember), and they made me a verbal offer over the phone. I was through the roof with excitement. It was a position doing instructional coaching and development, under the auspices of a non-profit, with a high-needs school. However, at the last minute, the school backed out and decided they didn't want to work with the non-profit, so before they give me a formal offer letter, they had to rescind the offer. They were super nice about it.

Now, with a new school year approaching, the position is open again, but for a different district (one I want to work with EVEN MORE because it's the one where I taught and the one where I've been mentoring student teachers for the last year).

I'm applying, for sure. But should I reach out to the two women I spoke with and interviewed with last year? And if yes, what the heck do I say? I'm terrible at this kind of thing.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I would definitely reach out! Just say a hello and how much you enjoyed meeting them and learning about all they do and how excited you would be to get to work with them. Not more than a few lines, but just enough to let them know that you're interested - it sounds like you were a great fit, and I would imagine they'd be excited to get to bypass a lot of candidates and get one they already know is great.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:56 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I would definitely reach out! Just say a hello and how much you enjoyed meeting them and learning about all they do and how excited you would be to get to work with them. Not more than a few lines, but just enough to let them know that you're interested - it sounds like you were a great fit, and I would imagine they'd be excited to get to bypass a lot of candidates and get one they already know is great.

Cool, thank you! :)

I am always daunted by doing these things, but I feel like the people I know who are great at accomplishing stuff would do it in a heartbeat. I appreciate the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:00 am 
Nailed to the V

DarthCupcake, any update? Fingers crossed!

I have an interview today for a job I really, really want. The last few interviews I've had have been for people I would not like to work for but this, I just know it's the one. Ahhhhh, please please please!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 pm 

Alin wrote:
DarthCupcake, any update? Fingers crossed!

I have an interview today for a job I really, really want. The last few interviews I've had have been for people I would not like to work for but this, I just know it's the one. Ahhhhh, please please please!

I emailed the two contacts I had and one of them bounced back an auto-response that she had moved on to another role :( The other hasn't said anything. I'm applying anyways!

GOOD LUCK with the interview! That is SO EXCITING! You will rock it! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 am 
Nailed to the V

Yeah, go for it! Pulling for you.

The interview on Monday with the Executive Assistant went very well and I meet with the partners today! I am super nervous and very excited. The worst part is I've already quit my current job in my head. I cannot stand being there and it's really hard. BUT, I do think I'm perfect for this new job and am ready to NAIL the interview today. Here we go!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!

The third interview was today and they offered me the job. I've been on the search for 11 months now and am so glad I was patient and discerning and said no to things that didn't feel right. This position is exciting, super busy and everything I could want. And the money is great! I am bursting over here!

I had some seriously dark moments searching while holding down a terrible job with jerky people. It's so true that you never know what's just around the corner. Good luck everyone looking!!!!

I cannot wait to quit. I'm nervous but I've dreamed of this day. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Congratulations, Alin!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:10 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Breakdown today because, simultaneously, NB finally found spouse job-finding support at his company (their SAP interface is a disaster) which I might still qualify for and realizing I will pretty much have to go through him and his spouse network to find work here, or maybe even anywhere. (So, I am upset at looking for and finding work thanks to spouse status, rather than finding work thanks to my own qualifications.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Lutin, I totally get what you mean. It feels super frustrating and heartbreaking when your qualifications is not what makes people look at you in the first place. However, it seems like networking and "knowing someone" really is how most people get their jobs. I got my current (awesome!) job through my boyfriend, which felt weird in the beginning. But my boss basically told me that for her, it was just a matter of becoming aware of me. My qualifications stand on their own, it was just the link that made her notice me and take a chance.
I like that notion - that the networking and "knowing someone" is just something that draws attention to you, but that no one in their right mind would hire someone, if their qualifications didn't match.

<3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Just saw this - thanks for the love, smoothie. Yours is a great way of looking at it :) Also, congrats on your job!

In case others are still lurking here, I found a UX Researcher position I will apply for and am looking for someone to read my cv and letter. Send me a PM if you see this and are interested? Or cross all your digits, because it sounds like the company has been dreaming for me as much as I've been dreaming for them (and me).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Congrats Alin! Lutin I'd read your cv if you want but I haven't been in the UX field for like 5 years now.

I came back to my job after my maternity leave in August and my boss is just as...dysfunctional...as ever. So I've been applying on a few things here and there. I got to the final interview stage for one job that sounded really cool but then they decided to go in quite a different direction and hired someone who is very much not like me (different background, experience, vision for the role, etc.) Boo. I am grateful that I have this job to hold me over while I apply on others, but come on universe!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72