| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Chicki wrote:
But daaaaamn that sucks. I have NEVER EVER worked a job where insurance does not kick in for so long! Past jobs I just have to wait until the beginning of the month. I guess this is semi-common though. Meh. Stupid US insurance. I hate it.

Interesting. The benefits for my last terrible job didn't kick in for 90 days, so I thought that was pretty standard. Good to know for the future!

So, anyone have any second interview tips? For jobs I have been hired for I have rarely had second interviews.

Yeah, well guess I have been lucky with the insurance thing. Pray that my clumsy asparagus doesn't break anything in the next few months.

I've only worked for 1 company so my experience is limited but my insurance kicked in from day 1. Does your partner have insurance? If so, you may be able to do a 'change of circumstances' under their insurance and move to that insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yeah, he has insurance, but we have to be married for me to get it. We don't want to get a quicky marriage for the insurance really. I have called my dr. to try and get my RX's filled, and I will probably forgo insurance for a couple of months. Scary. I am one clumsy bisque.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm 
WRETCHED

Ahh damn, stupid 'have to be married' thing. I'm clumsy too but luckily I haven't broken anything yet *knock on wood*.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

Could you afford at least catastrophic insurance for a few months? Something that would have high deductibles but would cover everything after a certain point? I would be really scared to go without insurance for even a few months... a medical emergency can bankrupt you.

Sorry to be scary:(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:53 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

quark wrote:
Could you afford at least catastrophic insurance for a few months? Something that would have high deductibles but would cover everything after a certain point? I would be really scared to go without insurance for even a few months... a medical emergency can bankrupt you.

Sorry to be scary:(

Yes, I am considering this...something that has like a really high deductible, and low monthly payments, does not help with RX or dr. visits. Like 'emergency' insurance. I might do that. Still with my 'pre-existing condition' (i.e. a sprained knee in 2010) even that will be a couple of hundred dollars a month.

My partner was between jobs years ago, had an undiagnosed ulcer in his esophagus bleed out and was in the hospital for a few days.

$50,000 hospital bill.

Yay US healthcare. At least we aren't paying for those damn illegal’s though. Or all those lazy unemployed people.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I had my second interview! I think it went well! They asked for references! They said I would hear back in a few days!

!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Questions about resumes and such:
Mine is, um, pretty short. A lot of what I put on there seems silly, but I guess it's better than nothing. Used a Word template. I currently work two jobs: fulltime nanny, part-time Zumba instructor. I've worked at the gym in several different capacities for about 7 years and as a nanny for a year and half.

I don't want to go into too much detail for privacy, but the job I'm applying for is a management type position for a small company owned by a (close) friend of a (close) friend. They are a vendor for events such as weddings/birthday parties. The work is varied and involves a lot of dealing with people over the phone, a little sales and a little technical computer-y stuff (wow I sound smart; who wouldn't wanna hire me?).

There is a section for "job responsibilities". Under "Nanny" I put Nap Implementation and Blanket Fort Construction. My mom thinks that sounds unprofessional; I prefer to think of it as colourful and in keeping with the lighthearted nature of this company's service. I am going to check with my friend to see if he thinks it will be recieved in the way it was intended but what do you guys think? Humor is one of the best ways I know to connect with people. Also, I have an Associate Degree and 3 semesters away from my BA. Should I put a projected graduation date or just put "In Progress"? And, is it lame to put what high school I went to? Like I said, this baby is short and maybe "Cheer Squad Captain" isn't the most sought-after life achievement but it's all I got.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think the nap implementation stuff is very funny Abelskiver, but I think HR people see tons of crazy people come through and quite honestly might not pick up that you're joking! I'd leave it off.

I have interviewed at a publishing house three times now for three separate positions. Well, all the same job title, just at different imprints. I have been rejected twice but earlier this week I got a call from an HR person I had been in contact with previously and yesterday I interviewed for a job that hasn't even been posted yet (great sign right?)

I know I just interviewed yesterday, but I'm freaking out! They have already rejected me a couple of times, and both times I felt the interview went great. I can't even begin to say how badly I want this job and I KNOW I'm perfect for it. I'm a nervous wreck!

The other job that would be great (thought not as great as the one I just mentioned) that I interviewed at before Christmas called me back this morning about a second interview next week. Perhaps this is a sign of my luck changing and I will get both jobs! A gal can dream...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am 
WRETCHED

The lighthearted stuff really depends but I'd sure list the real, every day stuff you do. Do you drive as a nanny? How many kids do you supervise? Are you on call? Are you responsible for cooking? Laundry? I think I'd fluff it up a bit. For your Zumba instructor, I know there isn't much to fluff up there but list if you are responsible for creating and implementing routines, perhaps list your certifications (also do this for the nanny job, like are you first aid certified? such and such). I would put a projected graduation date though for your BA. I wouldn't put your high school though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Abelskiver wrote:
Questions about resumes and such:
Mine is, um, pretty short. A lot of what I put on there seems silly, but I guess it's better than nothing. Used a Word template. I currently work two jobs: fulltime nanny, part-time Zumba instructor. I've worked at the gym in several different capacities for about 7 years and as a nanny for a year and half.

I don't want to go into too much detail for privacy, but the job I'm applying for is a management type position for a small company owned by a (close) friend of a (close) friend. They are a vendor for events such as weddings/birthday parties. The work is varied and involves a lot of dealing with people over the phone, a little sales and a little technical computer-y stuff (wow I sound smart; who wouldn't wanna hire me?).

There is a section for "job responsibilities". Under "Nanny" I put Nap Implementation and Blanket Fort Construction. My mom thinks that sounds unprofessional; I prefer to think of it as colourful and in keeping with the lighthearted nature of this company's service. I am going to check with my friend to see if he thinks it will be recieved in the way it was intended but what do you guys think? Humor is one of the best ways I know to connect with people. Also, I have an Associate Degree and 3 semesters away from my BA. Should I put a projected graduation date or just put "In Progress"? And, is it lame to put what high school I went to? Like I said, this baby is short and maybe "Cheer Squad Captain" isn't the most sought-after life achievement but it's all I got.

I recently helped a friend write a resume (ok, I ended up doing it all myself). She is a recent grad, with only a couple of part time jobs under her belt (like starbucks and retail).

To 'fatten' up her resume, we added a paragraph at the very top stating her career objectives. I have one on mine as well, even though I have a long resume.
Here is a site I found online that talks about it a bit:
http://sampleresumeobjective.org/

Also, if you have a short resume, I would advise that you have a GREAT cover letter. My friend for instance, did not have a whole lot of work experience, but has tons of LIFE experience. She travels a lot, and speaks a few languages. So we tailored her cover letter to showcase her more personal experiences, and how they can help in her carrer. That stuff is not exactly appropriate for a resume, but is perfect for a cover letter.

It helped. She got a job very quickly, and they complemented her on her resume and cover letter!

And yes, include graduation date. And I would include extracurricular HS activities, especially if you have a very short resume, depending on the job you are going for. (intern or entry level yes. Skilled job, maybe not so much)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have no comments about the Nap Implementer, but in this situation where you feel your resume looks empty and your past experience doesn't look immediately relevant for the position you're applying to, I would use that space to outline 3 or 4 relevant skills per position you have/had. Maybe as a nanny: solid organization skills, diplomatic and experienced in defusing conflicts, efficient in situations of stress, resourceful... As a Zumba instructor: excellent contact with the public, strong leadership, good communication skills... Whatever you feel is true, in bullet points, and with a little story prepared to illustrate each skill if they ask you about it in the interview.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

aelle wrote:
I have no comments about the Nap Implementer, but in this situation where you feel your resume looks empty and your past experience doesn't look immediately relevant for the position you're applying to, I would use that space to outline 3 or 4 relevant skills per position you have/had. Maybe as a nanny: solid organization skills, diplomatic and experienced in defusing conflicts, efficient in situations of stress, resourceful... As a Zumba instructor: excellent contact with the public, strong leadership, good communication skills... Whatever you feel is true, in bullet points, and with a little story prepared to illustrate each skill if they ask you about it in the interview.

Definitely this! I think that's a very good way to show how you are qualified for a position even if your work experience isn't exactly the same as the position you're applying for.

And I'd also leave off the HS. What most people do when the degree is coming, but not there yet, is list your school and degree, and put "Degree expected May, 2013" or whenever. It's very standard to see that in academia, at least.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you guys soo much! I'm literally going to copy-paste some of the phrasing ya'll have suggested. And keep the humor/relevant personal experience to the cover letter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Does anyone here have experience interviewing for bike mechanic positions? I had a phone interview with a local chain for a bike building position they are going to bring me in for an interview and to do a test bike (gulp!).
I know this is well, well within my capabilities, but I've never had an interview at a commercial shop before. My mechanical experience is almost all from volunteering extensively at a bike shop where we build & fix bikes that would otherwise be thrown away. So honestly, I have a whole bunch of skills (like fixing truly jacked up stuff, rather than replacing it) that some mechanics won't have, but then again, the thought of building a bike in front of someone and being judged makes me nervous.
This job has shiitake pay and is going to be about an hour commute by bike (it's in the burbs) BUT it would be a good way to at least get paid a little for working in a commercial shop, which would help me fill in the gaps in my knowledge in about working on more modern components. And it would give me the experience I need to get other commercial bike shop jobs.
Maybe ya'all can just hold me and remind me that putting together a new bike is easy peasy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Olives wrote:
Does anyone here have experience interviewing for bike mechanic positions? I had a phone interview with a local chain for a bike building position they are going to bring me in for an interview and to do a test bike (gulp!).
I know this is well, well within my capabilities, but I've never had an interview at a commercial shop before. My mechanical experience is almost all from volunteering extensively at a bike shop where we build & fix bikes that would otherwise be thrown away. So honestly, I have a whole bunch of skills (like fixing truly jacked up stuff, rather than replacing it) that some mechanics won't have, but then again, the thought of building a bike in front of someone and being judged makes me nervous.
This job has shiitake pay and is going to be about an hour commute by bike (it's in the burbs) BUT it would be a good way to at least get paid a little for working in a commercial shop, which would help me fill in the gaps in my knowledge in about working on more modern components. And it would give me the experience I need to get other commercial bike shop jobs.
Maybe ya'all can just hold me and remind me that putting together a new bike is easy peasy.

Well, if this is a skills test, and you have the skills necessary, then you got this one! Just be confident, it will show.

And yeah, bikes? psssht. so easy to put together.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

aelle wrote:

Agreed! I have a fairly long resume, but I include a list of six "key strengths" at the top of mine which are tailored to the specific position. You can make it a list of nine to fill in space. Go through the job listing and pull out qualifications (use synonyms!) that they're looking for, for example: Motivated, Highly Organized, Outgoing, Microsoft Office Suite. You can explain more about your key strengths and your experience in your cover letter. This is an easy way for a hiring manager to immediately see that you're qualified and paid attention to their needs before diving into your work history

I would not include any information about high school, even if your resume is short. Include your projected college graduation date.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki, you are so good at this. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My interview is tomorrow. Yipes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I got the job!!! I am so excited! Plus they're totally okay with me not starting until after I get back from my honeymoon next month.

Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 pm 

HUZZAH! Congrats, Nebraskalaska! That is so awesome!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I got the job!!! I am so excited! Plus they're totally okay with me not starting until after I get back from my honeymoon next month.

Yay!

Nice, congrats!

I am on a weird side of the job acquiring world. I found a potential employee who is AMAZING, but we can't offer her a tonne of money and though she has been speaking highly of her first few (trial) shifts, I'm scared we will lose her to a better offer. And I don't have the power to up her offer; I can only give my opinion to the owner and she may or may not listen to me. It's so frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Nebraskalaska wrote:

Yay!

You are the Missus! Hooray. That is such good news. You're on a roll!

(I am sorry I hadn't notice the other position was not working at all. I would go to that area of the clothing department and pick out that brand, creepily thinking of you. Well, sort of.)

Last edited by Sra. Nooch on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have officially been rejected three separate times at the same company. Why do they keep calling me back to reject me? I only put in one formal application and the other two times they called me about the job. I hate this, I'm giving myself the next hour to be miserable and hate myself for keep messing this up and then figuring out what I should do next...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm 

The fellowship wants references from me. I need two. I'm definitely going to ask my grad school advisor for one, but then I want one from my current job, but I'm really afraid to approach my department chair, lest I upset her that I'm considering leaving, but... ACK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Sra. Nooch wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Yay!

You are the Missus! Hooray. That is such good news. You're on a roll!

(I am sorry I hadn't notice the other position was not working at all. I would go to that area of the clothing department and pick out that brand, creepily thinking of you. Well, sort of.)

Haha, that is awesome! But yeah, worst job I've ever had. My boss was a complete nightmare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next