| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

joyfulgirl wrote:
Thanks for bringing this thread back, strawberryrock. I need it too! I've been working at my current job since 2005 and there is no room for growth and it's a boring job. Honestly, I know I can do better. I'm also looking to move to Brooklyn soon, so I'm primarily looking for stuff out there. My current job is a clerical/data entry thing for a school district, but I'm open to other things. I have a BA in Women's Studies. I just don't even know what to look for.

I have a BA in women's studies too! The great thing about a degree in women's studies is that it make you super qualified to know why every job you could do for is super forked up and patriarchal, even if it's for an allegedly feminist nonprofit, for example. That was not a helpful comment but it is truth.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There's this local jobsite where you can apply through the site, but most jobs say in the posting how they'd like to receive applications. There's a job that would be super good for me but hasn't said how it would like people to apply, just says "No phone calls". Should I use the email listed, apply through the site, and/or drop off a resume in person?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would apply through the site and then also send an email expressing your interest in the job, stating that you've applied, and paste your cover letter into the body of the email.

That's pretty much how it works for school/teaching jobs.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:20 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

strawberryrock wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
Thanks for bringing this thread back, strawberryrock. I need it too! I've been working at my current job since 2005 and there is no room for growth and it's a boring job. Honestly, I know I can do better. I'm also looking to move to Brooklyn soon, so I'm primarily looking for stuff out there. My current job is a clerical/data entry thing for a school district, but I'm open to other things. I have a BA in Women's Studies. I just don't even know what to look for.

I have a BA in women's studies too! The great thing about a degree in women's studies is that it make you super qualified to know why every job you could do for is super forked up and patriarchal, even if it's for an allegedly feminist nonprofit, for example. That was not a helpful comment but it is truth.

Another BA in women's studies, represent! All I've managed to do so far is retail.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

So my employer is opening an office in Chicago. I applied for a job there - but I don't know when I'm expected to hear about an interview or anything like that. I don't want to be a pest, they hadn't even signed the lease when I applied so they're clearly not in a hurry to hire anyone. So I'm just sitting here, dithering.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have an internal interview on Tuesday which I am excited about. My job has been kind of a nightmare. I was really happy when I first started, but four managers later (in less than a year) it's become increasingly difficult. I've been trying to make the best of it, but it's hard not to feel trapped since options are so limited when you've been some place less than a year. I have really good benefits though and would still be an analyst, just at a slightly higher level doing different things if I get the job. Anyway, I know that there are many people who would feel very grateful to have my job, and I am grateful to be employed but that still doesn't mean I have to settle somewhere that I'm not happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I applied to do volunteer work with a local autism nonprofit. I feel bad for having the ulterior motive of wanting to network and learn new job skills as a result of volunteering. I do really want to help people, but I also want to help myself get to a more meaningful career. Blah.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:48 am 
Chard Martyr

I have an interview on Wednesday and I reeeeally hope I do well/get a good feel for the employer because I am fantasizing 24/7 about quitting my current job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:50 am 
Chard Martyr

vijita wrote:
I have an interview on Wednesday and I reeeeally hope I do well/get a good feel for the employer because I am fantasizing 24/7 about quitting my current job.

Good luck!! You are going to be awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dakini wrote:
I applied to do volunteer work with a local autism nonprofit. I feel bad for having the ulterior motive of wanting to network and learn new job skills as a result of volunteering. I do really want to help people, but I also want to help myself get to a more meaningful career. Blah.

Don't feel bad! I've been volunteering with two nonprofits this year (one ongoing, the other was on a contract basis and has finished up) and everyone there totally appreciates that it's about helping the volunteer as well as the organisation. The ongoing place has just taken on another volunteer, and they deliberately looked for a student studying a topic relevant to the sector so that they would be getting applied skills and experience out of it, too. It's better to have volunteers looking to develop their skills and learn on the 'job' than volunteers who just want to turn up and feel warm and fuzzy for simply being there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had an interview last Friday. They said they hoped to be done interviewing by Wednesday, so I hope to hear something soon. I am not sure that it would pay much more than my current job, but the benefits would be much, much better (as in, it actually has benefits!). Here's hoping...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hate to say it but I know once I hit my year mark I'm going to leave (this is 7 months away blergh). I just don't want to stay in NY, stay being underpaid (600 people applied for my position and I make $36,000 a year in NEW YORK CITY). I know this might not sound like a big problem when lots of people don't have jobs, but employers use that as an excuse to pay us less.

Also of course I'm willing to do everything because this is my first post college job but I'm so sick of the draining assumption that you should be there late everyday. Or that since we get to work with something we're passionate about we should be willing to stay all hours of the day and not actually use our vacation days (which thankfully we do get a lot of. well, a lot for the US).

Also woot woot to all the Women's Studies people. I double majored in Poli Sci too. I'm bummed thinking about how forked up it is that I honestly left Women's Studies off my resume for 99% of the jobs I applied to :( forked up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

DC and Massachusetts folks who want to do (press freedom, not veg) activism stuff: a friend of mine just posted about the following positions:

http://www.freepress.net/job-openings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My super amazing job in Portland is looking for a full time graphic designer. If you're interested send me a link to your work and your email address.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm currently on the job hunt. I interviewed for what would be a really awesome job that I'm perfect for on Monday. I think it went well but who knows? I'm not getting my hopes up. They said they'd be in touch either way, but gave no timeline.

I had a phone interview for a different job last week and they got in touch today to say they'll be scheduling an in-person interview soon. Which is nice, but the commuting logistics combined with the lack of any increase in my current (pitiful, truly) salary make me wonder if I should even take the interview. But I really, really hate my current job so I'm kind of desperate. I should probably be less desperate, I bet they can smell it.

UGH, jobs.

Edit: Nebraskalaska, I really wish I lived in Portland!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 am 
Nooch of Earl

Also in DC, a different friend is looking for an accountant (CPA not required).

ETA: to hire for a full time position, I mean, not, like, a private accountant for taxes or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Nebraskalaska wrote:
My super amazing job in Portland is looking for a full time graphic designer. If you're interested send me a link to your work and your email address.

Are they looking for someone in-house or could it be a remote thing? I'm a graphic designer and my current job is ending next week! But I'm in Philadelphia...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

pixel wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Are they looking for someone in-house or could it be a remote thing? I'm a graphic designer and my current job is ending next week! But I'm in Philadelphia...

In house. Good luck in your search!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh well. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Reviving this because I have such rejection fatigue and I should apply for three more jobs tonight but I am so sick of it. I've applied for nine jobs, gotten rejected without an interview by three, rejected with an interview by one, did a phone interview on Monday that I haven't heard back from yet, and haven't heard anything from the others. I realize nine is not a ton but I am so sick of writing cover letters! Can someone just hire me?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:27 am 
Chard Martyr

Keep your head up, kid! I've been rejected a lot too (the worst is with no interview) but suddenly I've been getting dozens of interviews and offers and it's really really weird because nothing much has changed, my resume is still a dinosaur, and the only good reason I can think of for it is that my current job has increased my confidence a lot about taking on tasks that are SUPER unfamiliar to me. It is also painfully awkward to reject jobs after multiple interviews. And my current boss would be furious if she knew how many times I've been interviewed. You'll get a job soon! You can always use me as a foreign reference. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A job I almost didn't apply for because the pay was so low went to someone with a master's in nonprofit management. I did not get a call.

This feels hopeless. I feel like I'm not going to get a job working for a nonprofit here. The last nonprofit job I had I got just because I interned at the organization for a year and I was at the right place at the right time. I'm not qualified for anything else besides childcare. I wish I could just write full-time but I feel like I have no idea how to make that work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm just going to keep reviving this thread and put all my stressful thoughts here...

Sooo I just found out that my nanny job is ending in a month. (Because the kids are going to preschool, they're not firing me or anything.) I am kind of pissed because I feel like this has been the plan for a long time and they just didn't want me to quit early, since I don't think you can get a spot in preschool a month in advance. I can't get unemployment because, like most nannies, I work off the books (and I hate it when people act like this is a perk, I hate it for a lot of reasons).

So, it's good that I've been job hunting for a while, and I had a promising interview this morning that I feel really good about, and a phone interview this afternoon, but job hunting when you have no job is much more stressful than job hunting when you already have a steady income. I have enough money saved to maybe live for a month very very frugally (not paying credit card bills or student loans, just rent and electricity and food). Thankfully I have a lot of after-school program experience, so I feel like I can get a job in that fairly easily, but they are by definition part-time and don't pay well. Overall I am freaking out. And I have a phone interview in an hour and I feel like I am not going to do my best if I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Now I am psyching myself up to request severance pay basically in exchange for not filing unemployment (which would screw them over). It is so weird and scary to talk about that kind of thing with someone you have an intimate relationship with that doesn't really feel like an employee/employer relationship. UGH.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Strawberryrock, approaching them about severance pay is a REALLY good idea. I like it. You gotta look out for yourself!

I'm job hunting (have been since about April, OH MY GOD MAKE IT STOP) and I am so sick of cover letters and desperately trying to network... It's just that EVERY job around here requires a million years of experience. How am I supposed to get that experience if no one will freaking hire me?

It's like I'm fresh out of college all over again and I just want to scream and kick something.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next