| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending you tons of good luck.

I feel like nannies get screwed over a lot by a combination of unclear expectations about what it is that nannies are expected to do and class and gender expectations. I have seen emails on our parenting groups complaining about nannies that make it clear that some people are setting incredibly high standards for what they expect while giving the childcare provider almost no authority or discretion. It just seems like people don't really appreciate how hard childcare can be and that it deserves to be compensated fairly. Even the people I know who are paid well as nannies, still face boundary issues - like parents expecting the caregiver to be available at any moment and cancel any and all plans to be around, but still also be able to live without a salary if the grandparents come to town or the family goes on holiday.

Its interesting to meet lots of amazing nannies at the park and see just how great they are and how much they care about the children in their care, and then to see a parent be willing to fire that nanny and not maintain continuity of care to save a dollar an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Strawberryrock, not to be a total stalker or anything, but didn't you mention in another thread that the family you work for didn't pay you for a week when the grandparents came recently? They really should have paid you for that week. If they haven't paid you for any vacation time since you've been working for them, you should definitely bring that up when discussing the amount you are asking for.

Sometimes people just don't know any better or maybe hoping you don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Good vibes and commiseration to everyone who's looking. I've been trying to get out of my shitty dead-end job for over a year (I've been here for three years now, UGH) with zero luck. Recently I came close with a job I would've killed for - I interviewed, it went well, they rejected me, then called back a few weeks later and said they wanted to see some more samples because the person they hired wasn't working out, and today I got an email telling me they hired someone else, so I got rejected AGAIN after feeling like I actually might have a shot. It's really demoralizing. I know I should be applying for more jobs, but I'm so tired of applying. It's exhausting. The thought of writing another cover letter makes me want to cry.

Strawberryrock, you should definitely ask about severence/back vacation pay and stuff. Working under the table is NOT a perk, as far as I'm concerned - a lot of people I know do it, and they think it's great, but I'm always mystified. Yeah, no taxes, but no security either.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I do get two weeks paid vacation every year, just to clarify, but that includes time they don't need me, which is the part that makes it unfair. I used a week to go to a family wedding and then went through the rest at times they didn't need me, and then ran out.

Anyway, I just had a phone interview that went really well (yoga before the interview to calm down helped a lot) and the guy who interviewed me knows one of my references so that's good! And I really feel like there's a good chance that I'll get offered the position I interviewed for this morning, though that was only part-time. But I also emailed my former boss at an after-school program and asked if they were still hiring for fall and she said yes and to send my resume. I don't want to commit to that if I can't commit for at least half the school year, though, so I don't want to say yes if I'm still waiting to hear back from other things...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Question: Who do you ask to proof read your CV and cover letter and do you offer to pay them for their time? I've always had friends do this for me, but now, for some reason, I'm having a hard time asking for help with this. I especially need help with the ones I'm sending out in Dutch as while I'm more or less conversant/fluent it's still not my native language.

I sent my CV to my bf to check more than a week ago but he clearly doesn't want to do it, and his health/energy has been really bad lately so I don't want to nag him about it. And this is just an update to an existing CV that probably needs very little work. I'm going to be writing a bunch of cover letters, and if he doesn't have time or energy for the CV, I can't expect him to check my cover letters for me. My two closest friends are a no go because one is lovely, but makes lots and lots of spelling/grammar mistakes himself, and the other is basically working two jobs, seven days a week. I know other people who I could ask - people who I get along with (like former co-workers) but aren't really close friends with - but I feel really bad imposing upon them. Is it weird to ask someone and to offer to pay them? How much? I'd offer to cook people dinner or bake cookies or buy a beer in exchange for their help, but we don't live in the same country anymore.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

lepelaar - are any of your more casual acquaintances the sort who love to give advice? They might be the ones to ask to read your letters. I actually love helping people with resumes/cover letters/grad school essays and do it for a lot of my friends and family - it's mostly because I'm a total busybody (but am too shy to act like one in real life, so i get to live it through editing). If someone I was only acquaintances asked me to read something for them, I would, with no expectation of compensation. But, if you want to be better friends, what about inviting them out for a meal? Or, if not, baking them cookies or offering to pet sit or something like that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks, aiee! The people I'm thinking of asking all live in another country so offering to take them out to dinner or bake them cookies is not really an option.

I do think one of the people I have in mind might fit the bill in terms of actually enjoying doing it. It's just that I know he's really busy and I feel bad asking people to take time out of their busy schedules to do it. Maybe I just need to get over myself and ask.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:53 am 

Just ask! As long as you're not a totally annoying moocher (which I'm sure you're not) and don't leave it til the last minute, people usually like being asked for their help & expert opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 pm 

Job hunting is the absolute worst. I keep applying for jobs I don't even want because there just aren't many options as far as I can tell. All of that and I can't even get an interview, no calls, nothing. I feel like if I could get an interview I might have a shot (because I think I am better than my resume). If I didn't know better I would think I had been blacklisted or something. It is just depressing, knowing you have a lot to offer, but no one will give you a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Right there with you, peanut. I'm highly skilled, qualified in my field, and I've been unemployed now for 2 months. My husband keeps telling me that is not a very long time compared to how long some people are unemployed, but I feel like I'm just wasting away. I was top of my class in school, have a great portfolio, and...nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:31 pm 
Cranky

paprikapapaya wrote:
Right there with you, peanut. I'm highly skilled, qualified in my field, and I've been unemployed now for 2 months. My husband keeps telling me that is not a very long time compared to how long some people are unemployed, but I feel like I'm just wasting away. I was top of my class in school, have a great portfolio, and...nothing.

I know that you're stressed, but two months really is nothing in this economy. It's common to be unemployed for a year right now. On the one hand it's stressful, but on the other it also means that even the best candidates aren't getting jobs right away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

paprikapapaya wrote:

What is your field? Is there any way you can work on a portfolio or produce work that might come in handy down the line, or even a website? Are there other things you could do with your time, like volunteering or learning a new skill?

Being unemployed sucks, but you definitely don't have to waste away! Plus, when it comes to an interview and someone asks you what you did for the last few months, it's great to have something to say.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I moved in with my parents four months ago. I'm working part-time right now, but I really would like to be working full-time, in my field, and well above minimum wage. No luck yet!

I have a cringeworthy moment to share: I just applied for a job at a magazine and I immediately realized I made a typo in the email.

Also, the typo was in the name of the publication.

Also, it's a writing/editing job.

But I'm laughing at myself now because it was not an English word and it was the 5th resume I sent out today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Imogen wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Are there other things you could do with your time, like volunteering or learning a new skill?

Being unemployed sucks, but you definitely don't have to waste away!

Volunteering is also a great way to meet people who may have a connection in your field, even if the volunteer position is completely unrelated. Other volunteers may be in your field, or their friends or family.....

P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I didn't see these replies before, oops!

Yes, I know 2 months isn't that long, but it didn't take very long for me to sink deep into a depression. I can't imagine (even with therapy and meds) where a year of unemployment would take my mental health.
I'm just the type of person that needs to be busy, and having all this free time isn't good for me. I do volunteer already, and I already have a portfolio website, and I've been spending my time canning foods and stuff, but it just isn't enough for me.

Fortunately, I aced a job interview, they called me back and I aced the second one, and I'm hoping I have a job offer next week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay PP, good thoughts for you!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, pp!

I got my 60 day layoff notice a couple weeks ago. I'm here until 11/16 and then I have some severance coming. If I could manage to find something to step into right away (so like, late November) that would be awesome and getting laid off could end up being a big win for me because I could take my severance as a lump sum and pay off debts and live happily ever after. But, of course, I am getting laid off because my industry is slow and therefore there are not many jobs out there...

I don't know, some days I am OK and others I am just wondering why I have wasted so many years doing what I do, despairing over whether my skills and qualifications will translate to something else. Ugh. I found a position at amazon.com that sounded like nothing I'd ever done and yet something I could see getting an interview for. Except that I don't speak fluent Russian.

But, I had a phone interview with an HR person at biker boy's company today and it went really well. The position is definitely a stretch for me and my experience, but his name got my resume looked at and the recruiter I talked to sounded pretty positive that the hiring manager would want to interview me. I think this is as far as biker boy's reference takes me, though; me and my resume are on our own now. Gotta buck up and remember not to sell myself short.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That's brilliant, paprikapapaya!! Best wishes!

Monkeytoes: you are awesome. Please do remember not to sell yourself short.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hate not knowing what to expect at an interview. My university does recruiting and I know most people basically give a short talk about their thesis work to the recruiter (it's only a 30 min interview to see if they want to offer you an on-site), but that just seems so weird to me! I got in touch with someone I know who works at that company and he said to know about the work the company does, their competitors, etc., which is what sounds more reasonable to me, but my labmate who is currently going through the recruitment process with other companies was super negative about that and said the most important thing was to prepare a nice clean presentation of my past work. I just don't know what the right answer is...prepare for both, I guess.

How do you make yourself stand out from other applicants? There are people interviewing who have waaaaaay more experience and technical knowledge than I do and would probably be better at the job, but I know that's not all a company looks for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

Woohoo, got the in person interview with biker boy's company. Next Friday. Haven't had a real job interview in 11 years so that's a little daunting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Good luck MT!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am 

I am applying for a job that asks for a 2-3 page cover letter. UGH.

I am just going to write empowerment women leadership development civic engagement implementation policy coalition and then copy and paste it over and over again. Think that will work?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Include a recipe for gluten free waffles for them.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am 

That's a good idea. Maybe also some haikus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 am 

Women as leaders
I have the experience
Yay diversity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next