| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck today Paprika Papaya!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

First two person panel done. Meh. It was an interview. I think one person was skeptical and one was more positive. The next panel includes a bigwig. I'm scurred.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

Done. First job interview in over a decade out of the way. Should know some time next week if I made the cut for the next rpund of interviews. The bigwig seemed like a nice enough guy. But maybe all this was was practice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Glad to hear it went okay MT! PP did you hear back?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Fizzgig wrote:
Wow, good luck to everyone applying for jobs! What kind of work do you do, strawberryrock? (sorry if it is mentioned up thread, having browser difficulties)

I am mostly applying for positions at nonprofits that involve volunteer management and/or communications to some degree. A little over two years ago I worked managing the volunteer program and communications at a political nonprofit, and then I nannied for a while, and I am currently doing phone fundraising for a political nonprofit part-time which is at least in the right field but definitely not what I want to be doing long-term and also barely enough money to survive.

Good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes, good luck you all :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, good luck everyone! I've been applying for at least 5 jobs a day and after not hearing from anyone last week, I got two phone interview requests late Friday afternoon. So that was a really nice way to start the weekend. Feeling very positive about next week!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay Alin!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I haven't heard anything yet! Ugh!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Good luck to everyone!

I had a phone interview today and scheduled a face-to-face interview for November, but the job wouldn't start until January and I'd probably need to buy a car since it's not in the city.
Most of my belongings have been in boxes for 5 months and I have no friends/not much going on in the town I'm living in now, so something sooner would be nice...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

AutumnVegan, keep it up just in case. You never know what will happen between now and then! They're taking a huge risk in hiring someone so far out, so don't feel bad if you have to walk away for a job that starts sooner.

You guys, it's been an amazing day! I've had THREE phone interviews and scheduled another for Thursday and two in-person interviews on Thurs/Fri. All my hard, agonizing, boring work of applying for 50+ jobs in the past two weeks is paying off!!!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:54 am 

I didn't get the job.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm sorry, PP, that sucks. I'm sure you will find something, you are amazing <3

I just heard that someone is leaving an office I would love to work at...she hasn't told them yet, so there isn't a job posting, but I am both sad to see her go and excited that I could apply for hers...eep! but I would be kind of embarrassed if I applied and didn't get it since I know so many people that work there. feelings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm sorry, paprikapapaya. I wish there were something I could say or do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh, balls. Sorry, PP. Did they give you some feedback?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh man, pp, I'm so sorry. <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:32 pm 

Thanks, everyone. No, no feedback, just that they decided to go with another candidate. So, officially both Trevor and I interviewed twice for this position and didn't get it. He did back in June (before I lost my job), interviewed twice, didn't get it. Now my turn...I really thought this one was in the bag. The interviewers seemed to really like me and it fit my work experience and qualifications to a T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

I haven't heard back yet regarding a second interview. HR said by today, but she also said I'd hear either way so hopefully they haven't just left me hanging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:04 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

paprikapapaya wrote:
Thanks, everyone. No, no feedback, just that they decided to go with another candidate. So, officially both Trevor and I interviewed twice for this position and didn't get it. He did back in June (before I lost my job), interviewed twice, didn't get it. Now my turn...I really thought this one was in the bag. The interviewers seemed to really like me and it fit my work experience and qualifications to a T.

I'm really sorry you didn't get the job.

Your post just made me think of some job hunting advice that I was given that has served me pretty well, so I hope you don't mind me sharing it. When I was applying for jobs in law school, my dad told me not to get so worked up about how good *I* thought I was for the job and to instead concentrate on tailoring my application so that the person reading it would think, "wow, that girl is perfect for this job!" I hadn't realized it, but I'd spent a lot of time worrying about whether *I* thought I was qualified for jobs, and not as much time making it so that my applications led the people who actually got to decide whether I was perfect for the job or not to that inescapable conclusion. I hope that makes sense. It was a helpful perspective for me to consider when job hunting, and made me feel a bit less powerless when sending out millions of applications.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm sorry paprikapapaya.

Monkeytoes, fingers crossed that you hear something soon.

Meanwhile, my perfectionism is paralyzing me again. I know it makes sense to make sure that your cover letter and CV are perfect before sending them out, but even after I had two native Dutch speakers go over them, I'm afraid of sending them in case there's a mistake I've overlooked or something I could have worded better. At what point do you just trust you've done the best you could and hit send? (Hypothetical question. I know that point is now. But it's making me nauseous.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm sorry PPPP <3 <3 <3.

Good luck, everyone!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lepelaar wrote:
Meanwhile, my perfectionism is paralyzing me again. I know it makes sense to make sure that your cover letter and CV are perfect before sending them out, but even after I had two native Dutch speakers go over them, I'm afraid of sending them in case there's a mistake I've overlooked or something I could have worded better. At what point do you just trust you've done the best you could and hit send? (Hypothetical question. I know that point is now. But it's making me nauseous.)

Click send! You've done your best to make it perfect within reason, so you should just send it off and stop worrying about it - move on to other, more exciting things. For me, getting one person to check it would have been fine, but two is even better! It seems to be so hard to get a job that someone really wants at the moment, so if you've done the best you can (which it sounds as though you have) it makes sense to get on with other things rather than agonise over it further.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Imogen wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Click send! You've done your best to make it perfect within reason, so you should just send it off and stop worrying about it - move on to other, more exciting things. For me, getting one person to check it would have been fine, but two is even better! It seems to be so hard to get a job that someone really wants at the moment, so if you've done the best you can (which it sounds as though you have) it makes sense to get on with other things rather than agonise over it further.

Thanks, Imogen. This is the first time in 15 years I've had to look for work, and this is the first business I'm approaching, so it feels like a scary hurdle. I know I just need to get it out there, and then go on to apply for a lot more jobs.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 am 

Thanks, everyone. And thanks for the big-sis advice, JoPa. It's good advice. <3

I'm back on the horse today, 3 applications sent out. One job is in the same building as the job I just got turned down for, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

PP, if there's a next time (hoping there's not of course but, anyhow), you should ask when they say they've gone with another candidate if they can give you some feedback about your interview and why you weren't chosen. I was told this a while ago when I had been rejected for a job I thought I was perfect for, and the feedback totally helped me later in other interviews.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 39  Next