| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Super loads of luck paprikapapaya!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

All the good luck juju worked because I nailed the interview! I am cautiously optimistic. It was a bit surreal being interviewed by former colleagues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Yay, awesome, pp! Hope you get it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

I hope you get good news! And soon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Fingers and toes crossed pppp!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yay! PPP, I hope they see the lovely, talented you that we all see.

I submitted 2 job applications today and I am about 1/2 way through a third. They're all advocacy/legal advocate jobs at domestic violence shelters around the state...I kind of want one of the ones out of the city I live in so I don't have to work down the street from my current office (assuming I could get the job at the local shelter). After the mess of my paycheck this month I really need to leave here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm 

I need to get serious about finding other employment. I think my company is going under. I've been told I'll be the last to go in the event of layoffs (so I get the pleasure of going down with the ship?), but I'm pretty sure I don't want to stick around long enough to go through that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm 

Thank you, my loves! I feel really good about it. And the job is basically what Elaine Benes does at the J. Peterman catalogue (Seinfeld reference) - product content copywriting. I would write descriptions for some 20,000+ products. And there's apparently room for growth from there. And did I mention it pays more than I got paid as a graphic designer? I'm trying to not get ahead of myself, but I'd really like this damn job. The team I'd be working on is stocked with all my favourite former colleagues, and none of those horrible people who bullied me in my last position. It'd really be a great fit for me.

Good luck to all those applying, interviewing, and repeat. It's certainly exhausting. More exhausting than just actually having a job, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

Should I bother to apply for a job with "requirements" I don't meet?

I found a position that I know I'd be good at and is similar to my current job. They want 5 years industry experience and a 4-year degree in a related field. I have 2.5 years experience and a 4-year degree in an unrelated field. Can a good cover letter potentially get me an interview? Or is this a total waste of time?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm 

Yes, definitely. I think employers put a wide net out there and see what they can "catch". If you're a good fit in some ways, I think they may overlook the fact that you don't meet every criteria. For example, the job I just interviewed for today "requires" 2 years copywriting experience and an English degree, of which I have neither. But my other qualifications are what got me the interview.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Good thoughts, pp! You deserve this; it sounds so perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

ashley wrote:
Should I bother to apply for a job with "requirements" I don't meet?

I found a position that I know I'd be good at and is similar to my current job. They want 5 years industry experience and a 4-year degree in a related field. I have 2.5 years experience and a 4-year degree in an unrelated field. Can a good cover letter potentially get me an interview? Or is this a total waste of time?

Yes, you should bother. The very worst thing that can happen is that you possibly don't get an interview. Not much of a loss considering that if you don't bother, you for sure won't get an interview, right?

I applied for a job with the city yesterday. I am totally qualified and I could rock this job, but my relevant experience was... 17 years ago? We'll see. It's sort of a glorified teller job (with much better pay) and I was a kick-ass bank teller in my day. It could possibly be a little boring, but at least at first there would be a lot to learn about their systems and stuff, and with the pay and benefits, I could deal with boring!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ashley: Agree with everyone, apply! I was once told that sometimes you hire the person not the position. I didn't have the qualifications for a job, but the manager thought I seemed confident/competent and took a gamble. All the luck in the world!!

Monkeytoes: I kind of feel like your life is so interesting, a boring job might not be so bad. I mean, you're a bad asparagus triathlete! Much luck!

Paprikapapaya: All of the luck! I'm praying and hoping so hard this works out for you and that it is perfect. I want so much for you to be happy and feel utilized, productive, and successful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 am 

Thanks guys. Today I'm going to get my resume together and apply. I can't expect things to change if I don't make them change.

Good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck, Ashley!

Mtoes, sometimes boring stability at work means more energy for fun not-work things. And you can always keep looking while being employed.

I have now sent 3 applications out to jobs I think I'd be really good at. In the meantime, the more jobs I apply for and look at, the more I realize I need to leave my job. The idea that I can't count on making rent each month and am treated disrespectfully by clients all day is making me so unhappy. I hope one of these jobs will take me...I feel very confident about one of the applications; hopefully they feel the same way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have an interview in 2 weeks at a big electronics/materials company, and added bonus--it's in my city! I have to give a 30 min talk about my thesis work, then we have lunch, and then informal group interviews. It's an internship, which is good because it's kind of a change of field for me and will give me the experience and connections I need. All the companies I've been looking at so far are startups that need someone with 1-2 years of industry experience and don't have the time or resources to train a newbie, so this might be my ticket in. Exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay coroupita!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

good luck! I am sure you will do well. congrats on getting an interview!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Good luck to all of the job seekers :)

And ndpittman, you are such a kind and supportive sweetheart!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

Two more applications put in today with local governmental agencies. I think I have an OK shot at either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been job hunting for six whole months now! Technically I have gotten a job in that time, but it is a part-time job and I can barely afford to keep the lights on. Meanwhile a former intern of mine (back when I supervised interns at my job) who graduated recently just got a full-time salaried position after searching for less than a month, and had to turn down an interview for another job. She's in Oakland, I realize it's a very different job market, but UGGGGH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rejection from the application I sent out on Monday. Nothing yet from any of the others. Today a client told me I was heartless...I really need a new job.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If all goes as planned, I'll graduate in June and have started looking for jobs. The local hospital has already put up their ad for summer work. I worked as an assistant nurse there last summer, so hopefully I'll get something.

A lot of new nurses are boycotting the Swedish hospitals because of the low wages and generally sucky working conditions, but I can't really do that. What they do is either work in Norway (very well paid and a much better introduction process), or in home care (decent pay). I don't want to leave my family to go to Norway, and I won't get a job in home care without a driver's license.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:27 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm applying for a part-time temp job. I have a pretty limited skill set at this point and my resume is only likely to get me part-time temp jobs in this specific area (doing data entry/office work for a specific type of organization) because my connections in this area balance out my lack of education and lack of consistent work history, so whenever something like this comes up, I jump on it.

So obviously I really hope I get it, but I also realized as soon as I hit "send" that the location of this job will require me to take the train several times a week to the train station where I was assaulted last week. Soooooooooo I guess I better get used to that idea, because there's no forking way I'm going to turn down this job just because of some nuthead drunk homophobe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Good luck with the application!

It's so forking unfair that some crasshole can wreck havoc like this. Times like this, I very much hope karma is in full force.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next