| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh my god oh my god oh my god!

I have an interview tomorrow! It's at an independent bookstore that I really like, and it's similar both in feel and business model to where I used to work. I had dropped by this weekend and the person working there said she didn't think they were hiring but I should contact the manager just in case. I called and spoke to him today and it sounds like they're looking to fill a full time gap with an experienced bookseller/buyer immediately! I'm so excited! This is something I know how to do and I'm good at, but with the economy as it is, I wasn't holding my breath that I'd actually find anything! It sounds like I was just in the right place at the right time with the right skill set!

I'm so excited and nervous! I haven't had an interview in over 15 years. Holy crepe!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck! That sounds like a perfect fit!

I haven't heard from any of the jobs except the one that rejected me and there were no phone numbers provided to call and follow up. I know the one doesn't close applications until the 2nd of December, so that could be the delay on that. I also found out my dream job may be hiring soon...my old supervisor from when I was an intern there told a friend to let me know I should keep in touch in case they need someone new soon...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I had an initial phone screening with someone from HR for a job I applied on. I wasn't totally sold on the job to begin with, but the HR person really turned me off. She wouldn't let me get out of telling her my current salary (why is that relevant??) and then she couldn't understand why my salary requirements for the new job were higher than what I'm making now. Uh, because I'm trying to move ahead in my career and the job is a more senior role? She was just really pushy and condescending and not indicative of a nice work environment.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:03 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

lobsteriffic wrote:
I had an initial phone screening with someone from HR for a job I applied on. I wasn't totally sold on the job to begin with, but the HR person really turned me off. She wouldn't let me get out of telling her my current salary (why is that relevant??) and then she couldn't understand why my salary requirements for the new job were higher than what I'm making now. Uh, because I'm trying to move ahead in my career and the job is a more senior role? She was just really pushy and condescending and not indicative of a nice work environment.

Sorry about that, but the goods news is that you found this out before you got any further in the hiring process. Now there's no need to waste your time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 pm 

ashley wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Sorry about that, but the goods news is that you found this out before you got any further in the hiring process. Now there's no need to waste your time.

Yes! Definitely!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

It could still be a month before I find out about the job I want at my old company! I just followed up since I hadn't heard anything, and the manager said that it's taking them longer than expected and they hope to have some decisions before xmas holidays. GAH. I mean, it's for a new startup project, so I get that sometimes there's hitches, but c'mon!

I had a second interview at a place that is NOT my preference to work at yesterday. It's for a mat leave contract graphic designer, and the interviewing process has been SO stressful. Yesterday I had to do a small, time-limited project then present it to 6 people.

It's very hard to explain, but my heart is hoping for the first job with my old company. It's better pay, and it'd be better, plus I know I love working with the people there and the culture, and so it's less "risk" for me. But I might find out about the job I DON'T want first. What if they offer me a job? And I don't really want to take it? I hate job-searching stress so mumch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:06 pm 

If you get offered the job you don't want, could you say you need to think it over and buy some time and then tell the folks at the job you *do* want that you have a job offer you need to respond to and see if that hurries them up?

I don't know if that's a generally accepted thing to do in your scenario or not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats lepelaar!

So there's a full time job working at a non-profit on an alternative energy project that I'm perfectly suited for, in the town where I want to work, requiring 0-2 yrs experience. It's kind of perfect so I'm going to apply even though I already have this internship that might become full time. Who knows, at the very least I will make some connections in a field in which I know no one. At best they'll offer me a job and maybe I could start after my internship ends.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:14 pm 

I will try to buy myself some time, but I don't think it will work. The job I don't really want has made it clear that they are looking for someone to start ASAP, as the woman whose mat leave I would be covering leaves in a couple weeks and they want some overlap there...so really they'd be looking for someone to start yesterday kind of thing!

Urgh. I really hoped I wouldn't be in this situation, because I'm not really in a position to be turning down employment, but I don't want to screw over this company if they were to hire me by leaving after a couple weeks because I got the job I really wanted. That'd just be mean.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

All's fair in love and, well, this economy. Honestly, I'd give the less-preferable job a shot if you get offered it. It might be a lot better than you think. And, if you get offered the other job, you can quit. It's not the 100% most awesome thing to do, but you really do have to do what you have to do to keep yourself afloat.

I'd also think long and hard about your old company's very firmly entrenched and seemingly ongoing habit of jerking you around. The job itself may be great, but unfortunately, it seems to me it would be a good idea to consider how likely it is that you're going to have a repeat of your last job with that company. The fact that they're already not doing things as they said they would is, sadly, not a good sign for the future. You deserve better! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
...but I don't want to screw over this company if they were to hire me by leaving after a couple weeks because I got the job I really wanted. That'd just be mean.

I understand your hesitation to take the job and then leave quickly, and maybe I'm just more mercenary than you, but I think in this day and age employers are offering no loyalty to their employees and aren't really owed it in return either. Unless you think that they'd be able to effectively blacklist you in your industry and prevent you from getting future jobs, I'd be inclined to take care of my own interests by taking the job and hoping it was just temporary until the better/permanent offer comes through.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Plus, the mat leave job is temporary, while the other one is permanent, right? You've got to look out for yourself, even if that means doing something you feel bad about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just for your own personal integrity, I don't think you should take the first one with the intention to bail if you get your preferred position.

And I do agree with this sentiment....
jordanpattern wrote:

I'd also think long and hard about your old company's very firmly entrenched and seemingly ongoing habit of jerking you around. The job itself may be great, but unfortunately, it seems to me it would be a good idea to consider how likely it is that you're going to have a repeat of your last job with that company. The fact that they're already not doing things as they said they would is, sadly, not a good sign for the future. You deserve better! :)

I do sympathize with you, though. These kinds of decisions can tie you up in knots!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 pm 

Thanks SO much for your insight, everyone! JoPa, that is a very astute observation about how my previous employer treated me. It's kinda complicated; it's such a big company that operates more like a bunch of small businesses under the umbrella of a name. The group I was in before is majorly screwed up and the people they put in managerial roles there are only there because they're too stupid to work in any other division! I wouldn't want to work in that group ever again. I get the impression that the division I'm hoping to join is better in just about every way. It's also a contract position, but that's not really surprising to me any more because in my 5 month long job search, I don't think I've seen anything that wasn't contract to start.

tofucheez, you are right about being tied up in knots. I guess I'll just wait to see if I get a job offer, then I don't know what I'll do...ugh! Can't someone just make life decisions for me, it'd be so much easier!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

paprikapapaya wrote:
Can't someone just make life decisions for me, it'd be so much easier!

that's why god invented coins and our ability to flip them!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Paprikapapaya, I have no advice, but I do have commiserations! That's the type of situation that would be giving me stomach aches from worrying/ruminating.

Lobsteriffic, that HR person sounds awful. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that kind of work environment.

Couroupita, good luck! Fingers crossed for you!

Update on my situation: I got the job! I can't believe how fast it all happened. I called to see if they were hiring on Tuesday, I had an interview on Wednesday, and they called to offer me the job on Thursday! It was such a total lucky coincidence that I happened to call on the day that a long term buyer quit and I've got 15 years of experience as a buyer in a similar bookstore. It was an amazing case of "right place, right time, right skill set"!

I start on Wednesday and I'm on a 6 month trial (standard practice here) to make sure it's a good fit for both parties.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hot damn, lepelaar, that sounds fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yay lepelaar!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Congrats, lepelaar!! That's brilliant!!

Paprikapapaya, for what it's worth, when I was laid off, I took the first job I was offered. After a month I was offered something better, and I took it. Kind of shitty, but also the job was the worst I'd ever had. I'd never been laid off before though, and I was scared that I wouldn't find anything else. Not the best thing to do, but sometimes people do it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:13 pm 

CONGRATS, lepelaar! That's awesome!

Well, to make it that much easier, I didn't actually get the job I didn't want! Haha. So. And I found that that The Job I Want at former company is bringing me in for a second interview, and my hiring agency case worker says "I am definitely in the running". I am not holding my breath because my luck hasn't been great this year, but I could in theory be going back to work soon! And at the company I never wanted to leave but was laid off from, no less. I'd feel pretty on top of the world if that happened. For a decent amount more money and in a better team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Best of luck in the second interview!! I'm really hoping that things work out. I know how hard it's been for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:23 pm 

Good luck PPPP! And congrats Lepelaar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats, Lepelaar!

Good luck. PPP!

I came home from visiting my family to a rejection letter...woohoo. I still have two more out there I'm waiting to hear from. Oof.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:18 am 
Semen Strong

Hurrah lepelaar! How lucky for both of you! I hope this helps you feel more at home and integrated in your new country!

Good luck PPPP! Fwiw, I agree with your assessment of big companies! It is like a series of little fiefdoms. You think that there is going to be some structure of command and unity in the way things get handled, but often (for things like internal politics, hiring etc) things are strangely separate. I hope the next interview goes well and that you end up having a great job soon!

Good luck to everyone looking!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The nurses' union held a meeting the other day for those of us who graduate in January and June (I'm done in June). They told us to be cool, basically, and not sign up too soon. There's a huge shortage of nurses during the vacation period, and last year the hospital couldn't fill all the places. We also got some tips about things to ask in an interview, that sort of thing. It was a good meeting, I'm a little less worried about finding a decent job now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next