| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:18 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I had an interview last week for a job that seems like the ideal fit for me right now. I'll find out if I have it sometime in the next four days. Good vibes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 am 
Dead by dawn

I hate online applications. There's no way to follow up so if I don't get a call I just sit here wondering if they've filled the job, if they haven't even gotten around to interviews yet, etc... you just send your information out there into the abyss and then sit around passively waiting for something to happen. I haven't heard back even on things I should be super qualified for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 am 
Chard Martyr

monkeytoes wrote:
I haven't heard back even on things I should be super qualified for.

That's the worst. I have a job (one that I'm NOT super qualified for, as it goes), but I am always quietly job shopping for ones I am super qualified for, but I never get a bite when I fill out online applications. It's so silly and frustrating. I bet there are so many people in the jobs I'd love and am qualified for who would much prefer the job I have now. We should be able to just do a switcheroo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I just submitted my resume to the headhunter and I am really nervous because I think I would be great at it and would love to move to a nice 9-5 job with insurance. But I am worried that my experience won't be clear so I hope the headhunter can help me polish it bit.

I am nervous and really want this. Blargh.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Boooo, they just called to say that I don't have the experience the client was looking for, which sucks.

I am disappointed because I was hoping this would be an easy transition back from being at home with L into the world of being employed again. I always hear how hard it is to get back in, so this would have been a dream - straight into a nice job with a good salary and benefits, without needing to do another degree or retool in some way.

And it underscores my worry that my experience is really not very marketable - I've done a very niche practice for 10+ years doing derivative transactions in bankruptcy, and those jobs don't come up very often, unlike in-house counsel jobs if you have a good book of corporate or M&A experience. Also, I am now anxious that I will have to take an even bigger step back, if I even can do that, to get a good standard in-house job with decent hours. Blargh.

That said, I am still superhappy to be home with L, so I might just put my now revised and updated resume out to a few head hunters and start a real job hunt in earnest once L turns three. If I were less lazy, I'd do an LLM....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Today I found out the owner where I work called and freaked out on a co-worker because that co-worker had to bump up the date she's leaving. Instead of leaving in January she needs to be done around Christmas. This girl is one of the sweetest people I've ever known and to think of the crazy owner yelling at her on the phone just peas me off to no end. The owners here treat employees so horribly and if you have any bad vibes between you when you leave you'll be blacklisted from the store and never allowed back. It's a bookstore! I've been looking for a different job for a while but this just makes me want it more.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Just had my second interview at my former workplace. It went really well! As I said before, it's a company with so many different moving parts and this division is leagues better than where I was. The manager for this position, who I met with today, confided in me that the division where I was probably won't last much longer, which makes it a little more clear why when my contract ended they didn't hire me.

There's a really exciting energy in this group...it's called e-marketing, and I'd basically be a copywriter for various marketing channels. They've already hired two people for this task and are hiring two more...and there's 3 candidates at this point. So it's like a 66% chance, I guess?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay PP!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah and good luck PP! I hope you get the job and that you get treated so much better than you were at your last department. You're great <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but a friend of mine (who runs a CSA in Illinois) just posted the following on FB:

Quote:
Anybody want a farm job for 2014? I just got a list full of opportunities in the midwest that I would be happy to pass on.

She's not vegan AFAIK and I don't know how many of these jobs would be vegan compatible but I'm happy to ask for more info if anyone wants.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This is the first time I've looked at this thread in a while, so I just saw your post PP! Good luck - I really hope you get it!

I have an interview on Tuesday. It's with a bioscience facility. I'm really nervous about it for a number of reasons, but mostly because I'm having trouble figuring out if they do anything that would clash with my ethics. They look like they'd be good to work for, and they'll probably pay a shitload, but what happens if I get it and accept the position, and then I find out that they're, like, the new Huntingdon?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does anyone in San Francisco area know of any entry-level ish jobs? My brother's out there after finishing his thru-hike and doesn't have many connections. He's got some great people-skills, is bilingual with spanish and has a degree in economics. He's very much an activist at heart so something in the non-profit world or green/climate change type of job is also welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was feeling super hopeless, but the place where I manage the volunteer program as a volunteer is hiring and I feel like I have a good shot! It's part-time, so I would do it in addition to my current job, which would be 48 hours a week and 25k a year total. The hours would be intense, but being able to live comfortably would be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck to everyone applying/searching!

I submitted my resume to a temp agency today. I don't know if I'm desperate enough to quit a full-time job to start temping, but I might be. That's how had it has gotten.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 am 
Ninja Master

I finish my current job on the 23rd and have nothing to go to. I am glad that I quit, it was the right thing to do, but I'm getting a bit nervous about next year. I am going to be trying to build up my own business from January but I need at least a part job so that I have some cash coming in. There's not much part time work going round here. EEK.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Heard back from an application made ~5 weeks ago. No interview.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:38 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I GOT THE motherforking JOB!!! I'M GOING BACK TO WORK!!!!

Thanks to the PPK for being the most amazing support system for me during this period of unemployment hell. I am going back to my former employer in a better department for way more pay on January 7th. motherforking fork I am a happy clam right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Heck yes, ppp! So happy for you!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

WOOOOOOO! Yes you did.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fork yeah, PP! Congrats!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

paprikapapaya wrote:
I GOT THE motherforking JOB!!! I'M GOING BACK TO WORK!!!!

Thanks to the PPK for being the most amazing support system for me during this period of unemployment hell. I am going back to my former employer in a better department for way more pay on January 7th. motherforking fork I am a happy clam right now.

congrats, lady!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yay! Good for you pp! What a perfect day to find out, too. A couple weeks of holidays with no looking-for-a-job stress, and a fresh start in the new year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah PPPP! I am so happy for you and T!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yayyyy!!! So happy for you, PPPP!!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next