| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay congrats!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 am 
Dead by dawn

Awesome ashley!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 am 
Ninja Master

Applied for a couple of part time jobs today, hopefully I'll hear something, even if it's a no. The last few I never heard back at all.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I got out of retail at the end of October and started a job I really love. I work in a nonprofit day program for adults with traumatic brain injuries. It is fun, meaningful work, and there are no nights, weekends, or holidays, which is such a pleasant change from the retail life. All that said, I took quite a pay cut, so I may have to start selling my organs and body fluids or something. ; ) Or just get a second job still in the healthcare industry now that I have a bit of experience.

Hope you hear some good news soon, baps! Sending good jobby vibes to everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Good luck baps!

Thanks everyone for the support!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats, Ashley!! I've followed your current work issues in disbelief so I'm so glad you're almost out of that toxic place. What a great start to the new year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:12 pm 

Thanks couroupita! I am so excited. We're starting to work on all the paperwork for the new business and I'm all YAY PAPERWORK!! Let's get this shiitake done!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Catskill Animal Sanctuary just posted a bunch of job openings, if anyone's looking. Wish I lived closer!
"If you dream of working for animals as your day job, Catskill Animal Sanctuary is hiring! They're looking for a Business Manager, Guesthouse Manager, Humane Educator, Programs Manager and a variety of interns."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

Looking for work! Or, well, needing to look for work. I was laid off a couple weeks ago, after 11 years with the company.

I'm a book editor and author. I can do copy editing, developmental editing, proofreading, and all kinds of writing. (I'm versatile: I developed the Sith language for a big, fancy product, and I've written cute kids books.) I do humor, kid stuff, and straight nonfiction.

A couple (of the 8–10) books I've written:
ImageImage

A few of the zillion books I've edited:
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

I'd love to apply my skills to something other than, you know, just creating more product. There's got to be an organization that's really trying to accomplish something that could use me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace, you are so awesome and I know you will find a great job! This is when companies that aren't dying do their best hiring, says a smarty pants I know, so search far and wide and I know you'll find an awesome place thrilled by your talent and creativity. I will keep my eyes peeled.

I am always halfheartedly looking for other jobs, but one came up recently and I just spent a couple hours of intense cover letter writing that I can only pray makes me stand out from the heaps of other job-searchers who will want it. And then I was offered this super random job that I might take but only if I am laid off which probably won't happen even though everyone else at my workplace is being fired in quick succession, because I am not paid as well as others who will be on the hit list before me. Remember when stability/job security was a thing? Because actually, I don't think I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm 
Grandfathered In

Thanks, vijita!

Do you (or does anyone) have ideas about places to look? Or even ideas about places to look to find places to look?

I know there are all kinds of companies (and kinds of jobs) I don't know anything about. Places I would hear about and say, "That's a thing? That sounds perfect for me!" But how do you find about them?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
Remember when stability/job security was a thing? Because actually, I don't think I do.

I don't think I do, either. My dad's big layoff is a very early memory of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:58 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

FF, you are superradawesome and I know you will find something. I'm sorry you lost your job, though. That's stupid and hard and crappy.

vijita wrote:
Remember when stability/job security was a thing? Because actually, I don't think I do.

Nope, I don't. I get jealous of all my colleagues who are babyboomers and they've had these long, cushy careers and have basically worked at one job their whole lives with awesome benefits and stuff. I don't think stuff like that really exists now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't think it exists any longer either, and yet that myth still makes you feel like you've failed when you are fired or have to leave a job. Everyone I know has been at so many different jobs over their careers.

Sorry about your job Footie, that sounds hard. I hope you find something great soon. I would look at companies you admire or are interested in, and start your search there.

I got a call today, and I'm under consideration for a job, which they asked me to apply to, so that is neat. But I'm also at the very early stages of a pregnancy that may or may not work out. So I'm nervous about that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I never updated here when I got the job I posted about because my computer wasn't working at the time, but hey, I got that job I posted about!

Now here's the tough part. I am working two jobs now and having a real money vs. sanity conundrum. The new job is 20 hours a week. The old job is 28 hours a week. It takes about an hour to go from one job to the other. So basically, Monday through Thursday, I leave at either 8:30 or 9:30 am, and then I get home at 9:30 pm, and on Friday I work from between 4 and 8 hours at the new job depending on how early I got there the other days.

Guys, I am REALLY TIRED. And I miss socializing. And my girlfriend. And my cats. And eating meals at home. And having time to buy toilet paper. And if it was a lot of money vs. an ok amount of money and sanity, it would be one thing. But new job pays $11.50 an hour and old job pays $10 an hour so working both of them gives me enough money to be kind of comfortable in a broke asparagus way, but is not exactly cushy. I've applied to a few after-school programs because I am super qualified and I would be done with work at 6 every day, but they are also obviously fewer hours and not a great hourly wage and would only last until June, at which point I would find myself with one job where I would be making $800 a month after taxes. But there are a lot of youth jobs available in the summer, so I could probably line something up then. The nice thing is that my hours for new job are completely flexible so I can basically make any other part-time job work. I have an interview for an after-school program tomorrow, and it's actually an organization I've worked for before. If I took it (and they offered me the highest wage possible) I would be making $250 less a month than I am now, which is pretty major--that is $250 I could use to pay off my massive credit card debt.

Also it is funny that I have worked so forking hard to work in my field again and I have two jobs at nonprofits now and but I am making way less per hour than when I was a nanny. Though hopefully this new job will make me qualified for full-time jobs with things like health insurance and salaries over $25,000 in the future.

Anyway, I am very sleepy, someone tell me what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ashley, that is super exciting! So awesome that you can finally leave your terrible job, and also, working at a brand new company can be challenging in some ways, but I have also found it to be such a great opportunity to mold your job to fit your interests and strengths, and to take on new types of tasks in a way that is not as easy at an established company that's looking for somebody to fill a very specific role, since there is always more work that needs to be/can be done than there are people to do it.

Strawberryrock, congratulations! That does sound exhausting, but it's super awesome that you are working in your field again, and at a job that it sounds like you are excited about!

Since you had such good feedback from higher-up people there already, and have an established relationship with them through volunteering, do you think there is a chance that you can show them how really awesome at your new job you are, and then propose additional project that would benefit the organization, or volunteer to take on more of something that someone else has already said needs to be done, and be able to pick up additional hours that would allow you to leave the other job? Is there any chance that you could just scale back on hours at the older job? It seems like if you were only working there 3 days per week, you could do the new job in two long days, or have two shorter days and only one crazy day with both jobs, and that would be a lot more liveable, and probably worth the slightly less money? Or, is there any way you could do a couple hours of work from home on some of the days, so that you get to have less commute time, more home time and eat some dinners at home, but still work on the new job more days per week?

Otherwise, applying for other after-school things sounds like a good alternative. Or maybe other kid-related things that pay higher per hour, even if it would be fewer hours- it seems like tutoring often pays much more than programming type jobs, do you already have a relationship with any families that might want tutoring, or who could offer testimonials or referrals for you, or is there any other kind of service that you could offer for more than $11.50 per hour?

Paprikapapaya, I totally get it being stressful to start new things. Just try to keep in mind that your coworkers know you are new at your new job, and they likely already expect there to be a learning curve for anyone knew coming in! (That is what I try to tell myself when I get nervous about new things, anyway- people know I'm new at it! It's ok to be new at things!)

Footface, that is such a great assortment of books!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Oh yeah, Vijita, would the job you got offered pay any better than the current job? If so, you should use that as leverage at your current job. Or even if it wouldn't, you should still use it as leverage, especially since a lot of other people are being fired and it sounds like you have a fair amount of responsibility at your job, and you know there are other people there who make more money than you do. You could tell them that you really like your work, but you got offered a different job, and you would really like to stay with the current employer but it wouldn't make sense financially for you to do that unless you made X amount more. OOOOR negotiate for other perks as a fall back, if you're interested, like say, actually getting real weekends, or X amount of paid days off, or something. Your employer should know that your awesome skills are in demand!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

electric_claire wrote:
Strawberryrock, congratulations! That does sound exhausting, but it's super awesome that you are working in your field again, and at a job that it sounds like you are excited about!

Since you had such good feedback from higher-up people there already, and have an established relationship with them through volunteering, do you think there is a chance that you can show them how really awesome at your new job you are, and then propose additional project that would benefit the organization, or volunteer to take on more of something that someone else has already said needs to be done, and be able to pick up additional hours that would allow you to leave the other job? Is there any chance that you could just scale back on hours at the older job? It seems like if you were only working there 3 days per week, you could do the new job in two long days, or have two shorter days and only one crazy day with both jobs, and that would be a lot more liveable, and probably worth the slightly less money? Or, is there any way you could do a couple hours of work from home on some of the days, so that you get to have less commute time, more home time and eat some dinners at home, but still work on the new job more days per week?

Otherwise, applying for other after-school things sounds like a good alternative. Or maybe other kid-related things that pay higher per hour, even if it would be fewer hours- it seems like tutoring often pays much more than programming type jobs, do you already have a relationship with any families that might want tutoring, or who could offer testimonials or referrals for you, or is there any other kind of service that you could offer for more than $11.50 per hour?

There is definitely just no funding for my position at new job to expand. I'm sure if they could afford to have me full-time they would. And I don't really think I could scale back on hours at the other job because it's a pretty structured thing, and it's four days a week...so my options are basically 9-9 Monday-Thursday and 9-1 Friday or 10-9 Monday-Thursday and 9-1 Friday or something in between that. I don't really think working from home would be an option--definitely never at my older job, and maaaybe in the future on rare occasions in my newer job, but I'm not entirely sure. I am intrigued by the idea of tutoring but don't know anything about it, and don't have relationships with families that would need it I don't think...that is something I should look into more, thanks! Though there are so many unemployed teachers in this town, I wonder if that would make it harder. I should probably look into part-time nannying because it generally pays more than after-school programs (plus: free snacks) but I don't really want to work off the books again so...I don't know.

In my dream world I just make up the income with freelance writing, but I have rarely made more than a hundred a month with that...maybe if I really focused.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:
Thanks, vijita!

Do you (or does anyone) have ideas about places to look? Or even ideas about places to look to find places to look?

I know there are all kinds of companies (and kinds of jobs) I don't know anything about. Places I would hear about and say, "That's a thing? That sounds perfect for me!" But how do you find about them?!

Beyond looking online, which is often fruitless or (in my case) heartbreaking because you find your dream job but know that thousands of better-qualified applicants have outshone you, I like to just do a bunch of research on places I would like to work, and then spend a lot of time crafting a proposal for them to employ me regardless of whether or not they have advertised that they are hiring. I feel like you have to get really creative in this job market, especially if you are looking for jobs that require a good amount of creativity! I don't see many writing and publishing jobs advertised because there are just too many people looking and too many unemployed yet supremely talented would-be applicants, so you have to be almost embarrassingly aggressive in your search.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 am 
Cranky

I strongly recommend the Ask A Manager blog for advice on job searching and a variety of other workplace stuff. It was really useful to me while I was looking for a job, and I find it helpful now as someone who manages student workers and one PT employee.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I strongly recommend the Ask A Manager blog for advice on job searching and a variety of other workplace stuff. It was really useful to me while I was looking for a job, and I find it helpful now as someone who manages student workers and one PT employee.

I love this blog. I can't recommend it enough! I used it while job searching and I still read it now that I'm employed because answers to so many work scenarios come up.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'll check out the blog! Thanks.

God, I suck at looking for work

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

No, I'm pretty sure it's looking for work that sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:
No, I'm pretty sure it's looking for work that sucks.

YUP.

I need to update my CV, which I'm dreading because of how my job was restructured. And I realised today that there's no way I can spin my situation that makes me look good. Regardless of what my line manager says, if anyone were to look at my CV and see what I was doing vs what I'm doing now, they would assume I was demoted. So now I'm overqualified for entry-level positions, but I look like I suck at my job and am therefore unqualified for anything better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm 

I totally love the Ask a Manager blog. I haven't interviewed for a job in a LONG time (got my current job because I knew someone who knew my boss), so I was all freaked out when I thought I was going to have to start interviewing. I ended up dodging that bullet again, but just reading that blog made me feel more prepared.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 35  Next