| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:04 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Anyone have any words of wisdom about professional placement agencies?

There's one in Portland that specializes in legal jobs, and I'm interested in checking it out. I have a job, but I want to up my game a bit (and honestly, make more money). I feel like it would be ideal if I could get in to speak with someone face to face about my skills and experience, rather than have them look at (and potentially undervalue) my unorthodox resume. When I look at their listings, there are lots of things that are interesting, but they want you to just submit one application, and then they say they will match you up with other interesting jobs. I don't want to seem like an entitled jerk who can't read, but I also don't really trust that whatever software they use to match resumes and job openings would do justice to my application. Should I just walk in there wearing good professional clothes and with my best resume and hope there's someone around who can take a look with me? Call ahead? Email?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:13 am 
Semen Strong

I agree that you are best of selling yourself in person esp if your resume is unorthodox. I would find their website and see if I had any point of connection with someone working there and call to ask for a meeting. They make money off placing you, so I have never had someone be unwilling to take a meeting with me if I was remotely like what they work with (some headhunters just work with partners and some just do specific legal fields).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 am 
Semen Strong

Anyone want to share stories with me about interviewing while pregnant? Especially if you got the job!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

FootFace wrote:
Here's my latest not-having-a-job greatness:

So, unemployment stuff. Last week, I didn't make the three requisite "job contacts" (which means applying for full-time work), but I filed my weekly claim anyway. (I thought I needed to file every week, even when I wasn't eligible to receive a check.) I talked to a human, who said, "No, no. If you didn't want to look for work, you shouldn't file a weekly claim. You should re-open your claim. Call the 800 number and choose option 2." First of all, who said I "didn't want to look for work"? I said I didn't perform the job-search activity—applying for three full-time jobs. Maybe this guy on the phone knows of lots of great writing and editing jobs I should be applying for, but I haven't found them. Second of all, they shouldn't call this "re-opening a claim," because that's dumb. They should call it something like "extending a claim" or "putting a claim on hold" or something.

Anyway. I tried to re-open my claim online, but you can't do that. According to the site, you need to call (during the week) and select option 2. Just like the guy said, I'd have to select option 2.

So I called. There is no option 2 to select. Well, there is, but it means you're selecting Spanish. If you go with English, the next thing you need to do is enter your social security number and then choose option 1 to indicate that you entered it correctly. Then you get another chance to chose options. But 2 is not one of the options you're given! I chose 2 anyway, only to be told that wasn't a valid option.

I called back and tried to speak to someone. A recording told me they couldn't take my call now. I needed to call back.

I submitted my questions through the website. I don't have high hopes that this will be resolved.

Do you actually have to prove whether you did or did not make 3 contacts during a given week? Here in NY, you do everything online and it just asks if you refused any job offers during the week and if you were unable to work for any reason during that week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:36 am 
Dead by dawn

In WA you have to keep a log of your contact activities, which you may be required to provide at any time to prove that you did make 3 contacts. In practice, you file your claim online and I have no clue how often people are ever asked for those logs. I suspect almost never, but if you were audited and they found that you were accepting unemployment benefits without doing it, you'd be screwed.

And yeah, Footie, it sounds really straightforward: file a claim every week, if you either didn't make 3 contacts or you worked or received some kind of income, your benefits for that week will be reduced or withheld, but it keeps your claim open. It doesn't seem to actually work that way, though... if you tell them any of those things, they suspend your claim entirely. I didn't have a hard time getting through on the phone, though. I think the key is to call later in the week (and definitely not Monday.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish, vie known several teachers who interviewed and started while pregnant. It never seems to impact getting the position. Schools look longer term and realize that even if they will need a long term sub for a quarter, they still want the best person for the long haul.

I don't think they are allowed to ask, so I suppose it depends how obvious it is. Are congrats in order?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

And now I've been ordered to attend a (MANDATORY!) three-hour orientation, so I can learn how to fill out a job log.

This will be good for me because I'm a complete idiot.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, state of Washington.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

monkeytoes wrote:
And yeah, Footie, it sounds really straightforward: file a claim every week, if you either didn't make 3 contacts or you worked or received some kind of income, your benefits for that week will be reduced or withheld, but it keeps your claim open. It doesn't seem to actually work that way, though... if you tell them any of those things, they suspend your claim entirely. I didn't have a hard time getting through on the phone, though. I think the key is to call later in the week (and definitely not Monday.)

Apparently, Tuesdays are out too. I just called and after going through the various options, the recording said, "Call back later."

And the guy! The guy said I shouldn't file a weekly claim if I didn't make 3 job contacts!

If I can't trust the guy, I'm sunk!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 pm 
Grandfathered In

So I just tried to do it online, and I entered all the info truthfully. The system tells me:

Quote:
Because additional information is needed to complete your claim, your payment is being delayed. You must call the Unemployment Insurance Claims Telecenter by Friday (or the last business day) of this week or you may be conditionally paid. If you do not respond within 10 days from today's date, benefits will be denied and you will be responsible for any overpayment.

I do not understand this system at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm 
Grandfathered In

This will be my last post in this thread for the rest of the day. (Maybe.)

So, I called. The guy I talked to before was just plain wrong. I should file every week (even if I didn't make the requisite 3 job contacts) OR skip weeks I didn't make the contacts AND THEN re-open the claim. Which makes a lot more sense.

I did enjoy correcting the (very nice) woman on the phone. She asked, "Why didn't you have any job search activity?" I said (probably snottily, I'm afraid), "No one said I didn't look for work. The requirement is that I make three job contacts." I had to tell her I'm not finding writing and editing jobs to apply to.

Also, I'm not being singled out with this orientation thing, apparently. I'm told everyone needs to do that. Great, the state doesn't even care enough to humiliate me personally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'm skeptical about the orientation thing. I opened an unemployment claim when I was first laid off, but it was closed because I am getting severance pay until next month. While my claim was open, though, nothing I heard from them online or in writing said I needed to attend an orientation, just that I needed to keep my job search log in case they asked for it. Maybe I just didn't get that far.

What kinds of writing/editing jobs are you looking for? I've run across some technical writing listings on indeed.com. Not, like, loads of them but they're not what I'm searching for either.

I just had to practically take the SAT for a job application. Seriously, math, word/logic problems, vocabulary, analogies. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
Semen Strong

We have the same 3 contacts requirement in NY, so I used Monster to find jobs in my field, if I was short a place to apply. Also, no one ever audited my records, fwiw, but I would still keep them just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Just sent my application for a summer job as an actual real nurse (I graduate in June)! Now I'm nervous.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Can I turn down a lunch invitation from my soon-to-be-ex boss? He is kissing my asparagus right now because he can tell I'm on my way out. I haven't officially quit yet, but he knows I'm unhappy (he camped out in my office and wouldn't leave until I had another pointless, uncomfortable conversation with him), and all of my friends just put in their notice, so he can see it coming.

Anyway, he wants to take me to a vegan restaurant next week "even though they don't have actual food there." How the fork do I get out of this? Maybe I will quit at the restaurant so if he makes a scene, it will be in public!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:47 am 
Semen Strong

Maybe its an opportunity to tell him just how bad things were for you, so he has a chance to address it for the next person? I don't see how it hurts you to go, talk honestly about the challenges and why you are looking elsewhere and listen to his response. If he offers to change or pay you more, it might give you some emotional validation or at least help with salary negotiations elsewhere.

I would go if it were me, because it could at least make you both feel like you left on good terms. I don't know if I would want to risk alienating him by acting like I did not want to even have lunch or accept an olive branch. And it seems like a lot of effort to blow him off if he is so insistent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 am 

I will end up going because yeah, it really is just too much effort to get out of it. But it's going to be exhausting.

We have rehashed everything so many times, and he has offered to change, but he never has. I told him last week that I didn't even know why we were talking about it anymore, because clearly he was never going to modify his behavior, and I was tired of him never taking responsibility for his actions. Once again, he told me I was being too sensitive, but asked me for a hug (fork off dude) and was fake nice to me for the rest of the week.

No amount of money could make me stay. I will never use him as a reference. I already have another job lined up. This is all just theater and it's forking boring.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I can understand that it's weird, but dude, free lunch at a vegan restaurant! I think it's a nice gesture, even if it's meant to be a tiny bit manipulative. He can't make you stay, so just take the lunch because you deserve it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There's no such thing as a free lunch though. If you don't want to go just tell him something personal has come up and you can't make it. The personal thing would be that he's a total wanker who you don't want to have lunch with, but he doesn't need to know that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm 

dropscone wrote:
There's no such thing as a free lunch though. If you don't want to go just tell him something personal has come up and you can't make it. The personal thing would be that he's a total wanker who you don't want to have lunch with, but he doesn't need to know that.

I think he actually does need to know that, and I might just tell him. He took my colleague (who is also quitting) out for lunch yesterday to try to talk her into staying and talk shiitake about the two guys we are leaving with. She said it was two hours of him telling her how much they suck and will never be successful on their own. Oh, and he talked about me, and how he knows I will never leave, ever. He's so transparent it's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Having read your posts about your job over the years, I have to say that if I were you, nothing on earth would induce me to have lunch with this guy (unless the whole purpose of going was to tip your plate full of dinner over his head).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 am 

I like the way you think, jogirl!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah, fork that guy. That'd be a pass from me as well!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 am 
Grandfathered In

jogirl wrote:
Having read your posts about your job over the years, I have to say that if I were you, nothing on earth would induce me to have lunch with this guy (unless the whole purpose of going was to tip your plate full of dinner over his head).

An empty gesture, though: it's not even actual food!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

Another week, another rejection email. I'm applying to a job that I am way overqualified for because it's a company I'd like to get into. Hoping it pays more than unemployment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 pm 
Grandfathered In

My current whiny, entitled (but sincere) conundrum:

There are two jobs I should apply for right now. I'll call them A and B because, as I believe I have mentioned before, I am interesting.

A: Better money than I made before I was laid off. Worse work environment (probably) and less-varied work. I don't think the job would be very fun at all. I think I'd have a good chance of being considered and a decent chance of being hired.

B: Better money than A. I don't know anything about the work environment, but the work looks pretty dull. It's not permanent, but a 6–12 month contract position. When a friend mailed the job posting to me, my first reaction wasn't "This job looks great!" It was "I could do this job!" I think I'd have a fair chance of being considered.

I don't know if I want A or B. Neither looks like much fun. A is in publishing. B is in... doing stuff with words and editing and stuff. A has great potential for furthering my career—but do I even want to stay in publishing? B doesn't look to have much potential beyond keeping me off the streets and paying me better than I've been paid before.

Should I just ignore all that hand-wringing and just apply for the stupid jobs already? (I need to apply for jobs to earn employment, after all, if for no other reason.) I know that applying doesn't mean getting an interview. And getting an interview doesn't mean getting a job offer. And getting a job offer doesn't mean an obligation to accept a job. I think I'm just afraid to even apply to something I might not want to do, for fear that I will magically be sucked into it and will never find out about the other job, the one that would be perfect for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next