| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes! Good luck!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, I'm planning to relocate as early as June. Should I warn my supervisor that I'm looking for a new job, or just put in my two weeks notice when I find one?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:57 am 
Saggy Butt

starrynight87 wrote:
So, I'm planning to relocate as early as June. Should I warn my supervisor that I'm looking for a new job, or just put in my two weeks notice when I find one?

It probably depends on your relationship. You don't owe them notice for just looking for a job so I wouldn't risk telling them unless you know there won't be a bad reaction or they might help in the job search.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tigon wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

It probably depends on your relationship. You don't owe them notice for just looking for a job so I wouldn't risk telling them unless you know there won't be a bad reaction or they might help in the job search.

This. I would worry that if you told them you were looking it would affect the work you are given and things like that. I think it's pretty standard to *not* tell your supervisor you are looking for a new job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

^ yes! it really all depends. I would tell my manager in a heartbeat but we have a really good relationship and she would be happy for me if I found something better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

My interview went well today. The HR rep said I'd be interviewing with one person, but it was a five person panel instead, so that was a little nerve wracking. But everyone was nice and they made it more like a conversation than an interview, and they don't do those stupid interview questions like what animal would you be or what's your greatest weakness... (seriously, why to interviewers still ask that?) It kind of sounded like they were only interviewing a small number of people, so I may have a pretty good shot. It's definitely a job I'd be happy to take if I get the offer.

Right as I was getting in my car to leave for the interview I got an email inviting me to interview for another position I applied for last week. It's a 6-month contract position with a Major Online Retailer who happens to be located here in Seattle (I'm sure if I gave you three guesses you wouldn't need them all.) Temp isn't my first choice, but the six month time frame could actually be pretty great for me... I could spend the last few pre-Ironman weeks without a job taking up my precious free time. So, unless I have a job offer before then (and maybe even if I do...) I have that interview Wednesday afternoon.

There is also one other position I applied for last week that I am asking for some positive vibes for. It's with city government (not Seattle, but a suburb,) it pays really well and sounds like a good opportunity. I'm trying to talk the universe into doing me a favor on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay! Tons of good vibes!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm 
Dead by dawn

Damn, I've sent out over 100 resumes with nary a nibble in months. Now I have the interview I had today with a decision pending, the interview Wednesday for the contract position, AND an oral board interview for a county job on the 14th!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:05 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Awesome, monkeytoes!! So happy for you. I hope one of those opportunities works out!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been applying to jobs like crazy. Some of my references are being annoying and not responding to e-mails. So far no luck finding anything in my field. However, I have an interview at a local doggie day care tomorrow. I don't want to be a minimum wage slave, but I need to pay bills. At least I get paid to play with doggies (assuming I get the job).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:37 am 
Chard Martyr

Good luck everyone!

mtoes, I'm so happy you are getting solid opportunities. May the best employer win!

Do you guys want to groan and hear an "at least it wasn't ME" story? I applied for a job a week or so ago and I wrote my phone number down wrong on my resume. YES, I DID THAT. It was a mix of my work phone number and personal phone. Hahahahaha, kill me. I was so perfect for the job (except for, well, lacking the skills to remember my phone number) and was wondering why they didn't call. I don't care too much about the job but I am monstrously embarrassed by my mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Congrats mtoes! I hope something works out! Oh man vijita, that would be embarrassing! Good luck finnophile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fair enough. I was only thinking about it because I know my supervisor has been concerned about me burning out lately. Well I won't . . . cause I'm leaving.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got the doggie day care job! I'm still looking for a better job, but it will be nice to get some money in the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Blerg. I didn't get the one job I applied for.

I do, however, have a possibility brewing, but it wouldn't happen right away, and it wouldn't even necessarily be a sure thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Never did hear back on the interview I had two weeks ago. Boo. But I had my county interview this morning and it seemed to go OK. It will be a couple weeks before I hear anything. For some reason, interviews seem to lead to interviews though... just got a call about setting up a phone screening for another job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a phone interview today for a job that is way more in my field that my current one. Plus way more consistent/reasonable hours, and no more 12.5 hour shifts. Super nervous! I hate talking on the phone period, so a job interview over the phone is majorly stressing me out.

They're suppose to call at 4:30pm today, so just about 20 minutes left. It would be working with kids and planning environmentally based events, so I'm pretty qualified for it, but still nervous.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Simply_love, I hope it goes well! I wrote rough draft cover letters for two different positions, both would lead in a direction I'd like to go, career wise, both build on skills I already have, so I would LOVE either of them. I hope I can get a foot in the door!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks! Good luck to you, too!

One more minute. Eeek!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

God I hate phone interviews. I've had one in the past that was more of a preliminary interview before the in person, but this was the actual full interview. Ugh. It seemed to go well though, and they said they'd be in contact next week after all the interviews had been completed, so here's to hoping!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Phone interviews are not the best way to land a job, Love you should go in person it really does make a difference.
I had my 1st Job interview today, and I landed the job without notes etc, Just smiled dress sharp and make eye contact with the man.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

There wasn't an option, otherwise I would have. The position is a joint between my college, the school system and another company, so I feel like a conference call (two of my potential supervisors were on the call with me) was the easiest way for them to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:31 pm 

Sorry didn't know, good luck though on your search :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

monkeytoes wrote:
Never did hear back on the interview I had two weeks ago. Boo. But I had my county interview this morning and it seemed to go OK. It will be a couple weeks before I hear anything. For some reason, interviews seem to lead to interviews though... just got a call about setting up a phone screening for another job.

Heard back on the county job that I interviewed for on Monday. Pending reference checks, I am on the eligibility list for current and future openings (governmental agencies sure do love their eligiblity lists!) The hiring manager was very clear that they do have current openings, and that they are very excited about getting to go out to the public for them. So hopefully that's all good news and eligibility list will = job offer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Heard back on the county job that I interviewed for on Monday. Pending reference checks, I am on the eligibility list for current and future openings (governmental agencies sure do love their eligiblity lists!) The hiring manager was very clear that they do have current openings, and that they are very excited about getting to go out to the public for them. So hopefully that's all good news and eligibility list will = job offer.

Sounds very exciting and I hope you get an offer!

My interview for (Cashier/Barista)went okay...
I need to work on my interview skills since this was my 1st job interview, I didn't ask any questions :(
so i'm kicking myself in the rear for that.

I'm apprehensive to follow up since the place it's a new restaurant and is in the finishing stages, (don't want to sound desperate)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next