| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

Mars wrote:
peanut wrote:
I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering applying for part time jobs just to get different experience. I feel like I'm basically in the same position as a kid who just graduated from high school, except their more recent schooling is probably working in their favor.

I'm thinking the same thing right now. In fact I came here to post about it. I'm so ready to leave my job. I go to school in Sept, so the plan to leave this job is already in place. But I feel like I can't wait that long! I've already checked out. I hate working five days a week for something that means nothing to me. And I can't just cut back hours where I work, my position is required 40h a week! So that leaves me with the option of...

getting a different job! Which is so confusing to me! I have no idea where to even begin! I have no experience other than retail. But really, leave one shitty retail job for another?

Retail is boring, but I find it can be fun for a while if you know it's only temporary. I had so many different types of retail jobs during my schooling and some were pretty fun. When you reach retail burnout, which is sounds like you have, find another one! Unless you've reached a decent salary at your current job, in which case I'd stick with it until September. Spring is a tempting time to quit jobs (I've done that a few times) but as long as you make the most of your days off in the summer you should have a good time, and you won't have to learn a whole new job before you start school. Are you intending on working p/t at your current job when school starts?

Are you interested in serving? It's an easy job and in the right place you'll meet some good people and get decent tips. Establishments do like experience, but if you present a good attitude and personality you should be able to find something! I'm not sure how crazy tourist season is in Portland for the summer, but here almost everywhere is hiring summer staff.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I am interested in serving, but I have 0.00000% idea how to attain such a job.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:43 am 
Chard Martyr

Just go in with a great attitude! Your retail skills are completely transferrable. I didn't serve forever because I had so many retail jobs, but I didn't find the transition difficult at all, and I'm normally fairly shy. I feel like serving allowed me to play the extrovert and it was kind of fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:17 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So people just walk in unannounced and be all 'hire me plz'?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

Sometimes! Go to a place you really like, with a resume in hand, ask if a manager/supervisor is in, chat with them and express your enthusiasm. Restaurants are so busy all the time that it's good to make contact when you can because a pile of submitted resumes without a face usually seems like a lot more work than someone right in front of you. Also check craigslist or whatever good online job posting site Portland has--often places ask for you to come in at a certain time (when the person doing the hiring is in) and that's a good opportunity to make a first impression.

I'm not sure if you need it in Oregon, but if there is a certification you need for serving alcohol, definitely get that. It'll show them that even without lots of experience you are committing to this line of work.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:59 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

You need both a food handler's license and an OLCC permit here, but the food handler's license you can just get online!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:09 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

the food handlers certification is really easy to get, you can literally get it in 1-2 hours really, not to mention it costs just 15 bucks online.

I'm still looking for work

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What Vijita said. Only drop off a resume if you can hand it to someone important and chat quickly.

I know a lot of people who got serving jobs through friends working at the establishment, so if you have any food service buds, ask them if they have any tips for their workplaces.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone job hunting!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got the secondment I was put forward for! It's full time and the next payscale up from my present (half + bits and bobs time) rate! It'll be so nice to not have to scrimp quite so much for a while!

There's a downside though. I have to wear a uniform and the uniform contains a percentage of wool. It's not like I have to buy the uniform, it's provided, and presumably reverts back to the organization when I leave, but it still sucks. Once I get the first set I'm going to try to match it with vegan equivalents.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:42 am 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, I need a graceful but rehearsed answer to the seemingly ubiquitous diversity question. Everyone's asking about your experience working with diverse clients and coworkers (socio-economic, ethnic, etc...) and what you've learned from it. I feel like everything I say sounds smug or like the equivalent of "some of my best friends are..." I have worked with or known a lot of everybody and I like it that way. Help me figure out how to say so in an interview!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:44 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Can you come up with an example of a time that working with diverse clients taught you something? I think having a story helps and sounds more genuine.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 am 
Chard Martyr

Definitely what strawberryrock says, but also my instinctual answer for that would be to tell them that that is always such an interesting question to be asked, because acceptance to diversity is such a given that I can't even think of any times where I've seen a situation that might be difficult. Being sensitive and accepting is key no matter what you know about someone, because everyone deserves that.

I'm surprised you get that question so often!

Also, m'toes, I think good thoughts for you often in your job search. You'll get something awesome soon!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

At my workplace we serve a whole city, so you must be able to demonstrate a proper understanding of equality and diversity issues at interviews. Because I have a mobility probem, I am now more aware than I ever was before that being disabled makes you both less and more visible, and to be honest most people might think they're aware of diversity issues but in practice will say and do things that prove they are not.

I don't think it's smug to say "my friend so and so has such and such impairment and I've learnt..." or "I have friends from the blah-blah community and they have said...". Unless you want to makeit less anecdotal? Then you could just learn a bunch of stats to reel off, that would show you'd done your homework.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, you guys, send me some good job vibes or something! I'm in the final round for a job with a neighboring city; it would be the kind of work that I could leave at work when the day ends, good pay, great benefits, an acquaintance who used to work in the department said the coworkers and work environment are good. Out of 76 applicants, 30 of us came in for a written exam, 6 were selected for a first interview. I don't know how many made the cut for the second. There actually wasn't even supposed to be a second round so I'm thinking it might be down to just 2 and they can't decide... I want this so badly!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibes!! *wiggles fingers*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck MT!!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:28 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Good luck!
I interviewed for a job and now I'm waiting to hear from them. I'm not too hopeful, but either way, the job is not a great one. To be honest, I would be relieved to not get it, even though I desperately need a job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

Just got my first personal phone call job rejection (all others have been by email or nothing at all, which is super classy.) I'd applied for a position at a community college. I'd love to work there in theory because it's a pretty campus about a 10 minute bus ride from me, but the pay was dismal. Anyhoo, the Dean of Students called me and she sounded really sincere about how she thought the college would be a great fit for me and she thought there'd be some similar openings coming up soon, so please keep an eye out for them, etc... I'm guessing that means I was #2. Oh well, I would have taken it but it would have been a keep-looking-elsewhere job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm looking for a new job but all I'm really finding are a million part time jobs, and I need a full time job. It's worse because I live in the asparagus crack of Boston with only one type of public transportation to get me to civilization.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm applying on a job that I feel like I have a good chance for. The salary isn't much different than what I make now, but the job sounds much more interesting and my work environment is getting so toxic that I don't want to be here anymore. BUT, I feel guilty. My current job is typically a 5 person team. Two people have recently left, and we haven't even replaced them yet (we're in the process). If I leave too I'll really be screwing the team over. I know I have to do what is right for my mental health/career, but I feel like I'd be burning a bridge and I wouldn't be able to use my current manager as a reference in the future if I just bail on the team, and that has me worried.

EDIT: I figured I'd apply, and deal with this decision if I actually had an offer for the new job, because hey you never know.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My perspective is that if your organization let your work enviornment get and remain that toxic, they are the ones who burned the bridge.

You aren't bailing on people if you give them adequate/reasonable notice.

That is part of life and every org/boss knows that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

monkeytoes wrote:
Ugh, you guys, send me some good job vibes or something! I'm in the final round for a job with a neighboring city; it would be the kind of work that I could leave at work when the day ends, good pay, great benefits, an acquaintance who used to work in the department said the coworkers and work environment are good. Out of 76 applicants, 30 of us came in for a written exam, 6 were selected for a first interview. I don't know how many made the cut for the second. There actually wasn't even supposed to be a second round so I'm thinking it might be down to just 2 and they can't decide... I want this so badly!

So, there are four of us. My interview was this morning and I felt like it went better than the first, which is good. And now the waiting game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Good luck, monkeytoes!!

I am hoping to get a new job about a year from now and am already stressing out about it and trying to come up with a timeline for when I need to start looking, applying, etc. It's the worst.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next