| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

So happy for you, monkeytoes!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Jeebus, a friend of mine who works at Whole Foods just told me all the details of her health benefits. Um. Now I feel forking stupid for working at the Portland-only version of WF for four years instead of just getting a frakking job at WF. Damn y'all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Phone interview tomorrow morning with a job I'm super positive about being qualified for and being good at. The problem is I have to give a 5 minute presentation on myself (via webcam since the job is a long way away). I hate public speaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Bombed the phone interview as well. I'm starting to lose hope of ever finding a job (crappy or in field). No one wants to hire a person with a BA and that's a theis short of a Masters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm looking into being a pharmacy tech, hopefully in a hospital or long-term care facility. The programs I found here are seven hours a day, four days a week. I have a job now that I cannot lose, and my work schedule will not work with that school schedule. Does anyone know if an online program is worth it, and if so, any reputable online schools to recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:45 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

peanut wrote:
I'm looking into being a pharmacy tech, hopefully in a hospital or long-term care facility. The programs I found here are seven hours a day, four days a week. I have a job now that I cannot lose, and my work schedule will not work with that school schedule. Does anyone know if an online program is worth it, and if so, any reputable online schools to recommend.

where do you live, peanut? and how are your memorization and math skills? have you looked at sample tests for certification?
i bought a book online and self-studied for the exam. it's a lot to take in. so many drugs and symbols to memorize, and i have a hard time with that sort of thing if i haven't had a real life application for it. i ended up passing on my first try though. flash cards definitely helped.

the requirements vary from state to state, but most of the chains (cvs, rite aid, walgreens) will hire uncertified techs and train them on the job, and i think they'll pay for your exam, too. the catch though is that they start you off at a much lower rate, and it takes forever to get decent raises. long-term care pharmacies pay a little bit more, usually, and it's generally easier to get overtime (if that's what you're after.) i work at one (omnicare) and they hired me with no experience (i'm nationally certified, though, and state registered, and i got IV/sterile products certification as well). probably half of the techs i work with don't have their national certification, but again, it probably varies state to state. hospital jobs pay the best, so they're the most competitive. they generally won't hire anyone without at least a year of experience, preferably two.

PTCB.org is a good place to start off. i would advise against any sort of community college program or private medical training school. they take a year and half to two years, which is absolutely ridiculous. they're giant rip-offs both financially and time-wise. i got nationally certified first, but my state (virginia) is very restrictive, so i had to get registered with the board here...and that required either 40-hours of on-the-job supervision from a pharmacist, or a board-approved class. i ended up finding one through a pharmacy here that was one night a week for four months, and it was only $300 or $400, i think, including the textbook.

anyway, good luck if you do decide to do it! i like my job most days. it can be minion-y and repetitive, but it's also rewarding. and i have pretty decent benefits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made it to a round 2 interview at a tea store. Hopefully I get it. The job is part time so I can go back to school

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

A school in my district has a fulltime opening for my subject. The catch is the last two working surveys have shown job satisfaction/working conditions of 25%. The average in the district is 84%, with the next lowest being 75%. Reports are that over two dozen teachers have left since new admin took over in 2012, citing pervasive lack of respect from admin (doesn't include normal retirees, attrition, etc, just people reporting their reason to the teaching association (we are a non union state).

Would you apply? I might get desperate enough at the end of summer if it's still open, but right now I'm thinking I should avoid. I already worked at one hell hole of a school.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That is tricky, lw, but I think it is generally good to apply anyway. You don't have to accept an offer. Of course this might be different for your field than mine, but I always feel like you're in a better bargaining position for a new job when you're not 100% sure you want/need it, and it can also give you bargaining power with your existing job to have another offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I do need it. I don't have a current job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

apply!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fupapack wrote:
apply!

This!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm just nervous because my career was almost ruined after working in a school with low morale and disrespectful admin (the newspaper articles cite lack of respect towards staff as the biggest issue).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, that's a tough decision. my current job treats all of their employees pretty badly. I've worked other places where I've been treated badly by certain people, but facility wide it is very apparent that they do not give a crepe about their employees. It just makes it so hard to go to work everyday. i guess applying couldn't hurt. Maybe if you went for an interview you could meet with some of the other teachers? it's good to be wary of that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I feel that it's always better to apply and make the decision if/when there is an offer. I like IJDI's idea of talking to other teachers if it got to that point.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I will apply, but if there is an offer, they give you max 2-3 days to decide and sign the contract. There is no opportunity to meet the people you work with or talk to other teachers--they are gone for the summer. That's my nervousness: there isn't much that can be done to suss things out in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:46 am 
Cranky

lavawitch wrote:
I will apply, but if there is an offer, they give you max 2-3 days to decide and sign the contract. There is no opportunity to meet the people you work with or talk to other teachers--they are gone for the summer. That's my nervousness: there isn't much that can be done to suss things out in advance.

You should ask about it in the interview--not in a confrontational way, but by asking about the culture of the school, why the person who last held the position left, stuff like that. You've been teaching long enough to know administrative coverup when you hear it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, I would mention that I read about the issue in the paper (it was a pretty big story).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

LW, I second (4th?) to apply. How stressful for you to have to through this every year. I hope It works out .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had a phone interview yesterday and the women said she'd let me know by the end of next week or not if they were moving ahead for an in person interview. She called back TODAY! (!!) I'm getting an interview next week! I'm so excited. I have to study accounting terminology/etc, but I was pretty clear that I don't know the actual accounting regs and rules but I've worked with accounting before and get the idea of what they're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

*Brainstorming ways for me to be able to quit my job but still be able to make rent and eat and stuff*

I just have, for the first time ever really, this overwhelming sense that I need to be working on myself, my art, my passions, and not just squeezing them in around something so unimportant like my work is to me. My work right now is nothing to me, so why am I devoting all this energy and emotion to it?! Frustrating this capitalist system. But every day that goes by I get slightly bigger balls (should I see my doctor?) that I can quit and, shocker!... I'll be fine. I mean, I'll make it work! I guess? People do that! It's a thing that people do! It's not like I'm living beyond my means!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hate realizing how much I need a new job and how much I wanted a job I applied for as I'm getting the rejection. Feeling a little deflated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:49 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I just got called by a recruiter for temp work, and I said I was interested and still looking for a job. I've now been sent details, and it's for a dairy company :/ What do I say to politely turn it down, after I've already said I need work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Say that the job doesn't look like a good fit for you? Just be honest?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:20 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Looks like this thread has some relevance to me now.

I have to quit my super unhealthy situation.
But I have had the absolute worse luck finding work in the past. I got this job through a friend.

I do a little bit of everything, but want something mellow and part time.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next