| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Kfad, I feel you. I had an interview Thursday and really liked the organization. The job is related to accounting but for an activist minded nonprofit. My mother thinks I should type a letter to mail to them. I've written shortish notes on cards because it feels more personal. At issue is my slanting slightly messy handwriting which according to my mother doesn't reflect the detailed focus and precision required in an accounting position.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I put in my cover letter and resume for a more senior position today. I just realized I use the same word twice in two paragraphs close together in my cover letter and now it's really bothering me, but it's already sent in. I realize this is probably small potatoes, but it's all I can think about!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I applied at an agency yesterday. Will definitely get put into their pool of people. Just hate the idea of using an agency. The last time I did, they really screwed me over.

But I also applied to three places on-line last night. Updated my resume and rewrote my cover letter.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Interview in the morning. No idea what to wear. I've gained a lot of weight so my suits and dressier stuff don't even come close to fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm 

I don't have suggestions on what to wear, but I hope you rock your interview tomorrow!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm 

You've been posting lots of cute stuff and I don't know that you necessarily need a full suit for a teaching position interview but maybe I'm completely wrong?

Could you wear your pretty black and white skirt with a blouse and maybe wear an open suit blazer over top to tie it together and make it professional looking?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

lillianp wrote:
Kfad, I feel you. I had an interview Thursday and really liked the organization. The job is related to accounting but for an activist minded nonprofit. My mother thinks I should type a letter to mail to them. I've written shortish notes on cards because it feels more personal. At issue is my slanting slightly messy handwriting which according to my mother doesn't reflect the detailed focus and precision required in an accounting position.

i think cards are the way to go. they stand out more. a letter in a standard envelope might get lost in the shuffle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm thinking of applying for a couple of positions which have come up lately in another city. I still have one year of a PhD to go (part-time and which could be done remotely if needed). One is a four-month fixed contract (30 hours a week) and the other is a permanent position (full-time). I would almost certainly need to apply for an interruption of study if I got either of them, but I kind of think it's pretty unlikely that I would be accepted. They're two jobs which, if I was to sit down and explain what my dream jobs would be, they would come in the top 5. Just thinking about applying is giving me nerves though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Apply, Imogen, apply!! See what happens and take it from there. You have nothing to lose by applying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just moved to a new town and the job market actually seems dead here. I'm not willing to take more than a part time job at the moment because I know if I do I'll let my university work fall, and I just can't do that at the moment. But part time jobs, where are they?? I'm considering applying in one of the nearest cities but then I'll be paying £7-10 a day on train fare...which will pretty much negate an hour and a half of my day, pay wise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I think my interview went very well. We talked for over an hour, I got a mini tour of the pertinent school areas, and had an email asking for my references by the time I got back to my car.

The thing is, I don't think I would/should accept it if offered. The schedule is later, so my commute home would be in rush hour and would double to at least 3 hrs. Also, the kids are 9/10th graders, mostly all with behavioral issues. I'm not sure how well I would deal with challenging students in that age range. I'm used to juniors and seniors. Overall it seems a good place. No equipment for labs etc, but they have good teacher retention and the administrator who runs the program seemed caring and laid back.

I think the biggest issue is the schedule though. I'd leave at 5am and go straight to my GED classes and be home at 9:30 pm. I don't think I could handle that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:30 am 

I had totally forgotten how hard it is applying for a job that you actually really want to get! I've spent over an hour this morning rewriting my CV and I'm not even halfway there. Plus I need to write a covering letter too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

lavawitch wrote:
I think the biggest issue is the schedule though. I'd leave at 5am and go straight to my GED classes and be home at 9:30 pm. I don't think I could handle that.

Thats pretty intense. This job wouldn't have enough hours to stop doing your GED classes then? Cause yeah that's probably a recipe for crazy making.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love doing the GED classes though. If I were full time, I wouldn't really need the money (GED is $20/hr), but I'd do the GED for free if I had the time/money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 pm 

I've applied for the temporary position. I can't believe how much work was involved in writing my CV and cover letter! Hopefully a lot of that work can be transferred for the permanent job application though, which isn't due until mid-August.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 am 

I have an interview for the temporary job next week!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm finally looking for a job. I forgot how much time it takes! I'm going to use today and tomorrow to scope out positions and then I guess this weekend will be tweaking my resume, linkedin, cover letter, etc. And making sure FB and stuff are super locked down.

I'll have to dig up work-appropriate clothes. It's been so long since I've worn them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I got my old job back. I'm still kind of miffed at how they treated me, but am taking them at their word that the sticking point was needing a section of biology also. So I'll get to teach bio. That might be kind of fun! Something new anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

lavawitch wrote:
I got my old job back. I'm still kind of miffed at how they treated me, but am taking them at their word that the sticking point was needing a section of biology also. So I'll get to teach bio. That might be kind of fun! Something new anyway.

That is really good news!

I have spent two weeks doing what I can to avoid using the employment company. I just was so frustrated that they loved my resume but want me to take their testing program. Fine, but it takes something like a total of 6 hours to do the testing. Top it off, they have nothing to send me on.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:36 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Congrats LW!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

Congrats LW! Super happy for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:59 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Any London people looking for temporary work? A friend of mine is trying to hire somebody to help with library work. http://london.craigslist.co.uk/etc/4601171106.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Congratulations LW! I hope that things get better from here and that the administration is good to you from now on!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

No one will hire me. Dozens of interviews, even for retail crepe locally. I also had a change of heart and decided that maybe politics isn't for me. I want to follow my dreams and write or work in the publishing industry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

finnophile--I'm guessing you're probably in that awkward stage where you are overqualified for most jobs you're applying to but maybe slightly underqualified for some! Don't give up hope! I've definitely been there, and I've also managed to score jobs I'm underqualified for just by persisting and showing passion. You'll get a job of your dreams (or at least a good one) soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next