| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 am 
WRETCHED

finnophile wrote:
No one will hire me. Dozens of interviews, even for retail crepe locally. I also had a change of heart and decided that maybe politics isn't for me. I want to follow my dreams and write or work in the publishing industry.

I agree with Vijita. Also, depending on the area, the job market may be tougher than in some areas. I know MonkeyToes said she put in 130+? applications before she got a job.

My recommendation, if possible, is find a job, work on skills on the side, if you can that can help you get where you want. Keep your eyes open for a job that is in your area of interest. Also, you can always contact people that have interviewed you and haven't given you a job to ask for some feedback on your skills as well as your interview. How do you think your interview skills are? Can you practice with someone to see if there is something you are missing?

I was part of the interview panel for my current manager before he was a manager. He bombed the first interview but I knew he was a good candidate. I called him up and talked to him about it and he ended up doing interview practice with someone he knew. He was only able to get to the second interview due to his reputation and he did awesome in it and got the job. If it wasn't for his reputation, he wouldn't have gotten passed the first interview.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Just heard from the temporary position that I didn't get it. Apparently the decision was between me and one other candidate, but still feeling pretty low about it. I'll hopefully get feedback on the application and interview next week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just sent out my first job application! I have a list of more to work through, but those cover letters take time! I have 3 that I'm really excited about so I'll get them all done today and then move onto the others that sound good. I just realized I haven't looked for a job since 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 pm 
Chip Strong

My goal was to find a new job a year from now, but I've been keeping an eye out for openings and my absolute dream job just became available. I cannot wait to get my two year old in bed so I can work on my application!!! Eeek! I wonder if my lack of urgency will provide some sort of psychological advantage and make me come across as a more appealing candidate...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:12 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

2nd Job interview tomorrow after a grueling 4 months, may go to the mall for applications if it turns out the same as the 1st.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:34 pm 
Chip Strong

My application is in! I had to apply through a stupid website that didn't provide the option of attaching a cover letter and CV, but I really wanted to include those. So I looked around on their website and found out the name of the person in charge, called and asked the receptionist if I could email or fax my letter and CV, and she was friendly and said I could fax it and she'd put it on the appropriate person's desk. I hope they actually read it and don't think I'm annoying!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's great you were able to find a friendly person mooo! Fingers crossed for you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just realized that my "new" job means I'll have to teach sex ed to 14/15 your olds. Yeeks.

My mom is vastly amused at me being squirmy about it because I'm a pretty adamant, vocal supporter of sex ed and I get so mad at all the abstinence only crepe. Our district has a very comprehensive curriculum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

lavawitch wrote:
I just realized that my "new" job means I'll have to teach sex ed to 14/15 your olds. Yeeks.

My mom is vastly amused at me being squirmy about it because I'm a pretty adamant, vocal supporter of sex ed and I get so mad at all the abstinence only crepe. Our district has a very comprehensive curriculum.

I don't blame you for being squirmy about it! Like you, I am 110% in favor of comprehensive, positive, empowering sex ed... but actually having to deliver it? Daunting to say the least. I hope it's something that's just "yeeks" in the beginning and gets more comfortable for you down the road. Because it's actually a pretty cool opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah! I love the whole idea when somebody else is teaching it. It's the very last unit of the year, so not an immediate concern. Sex ed (or health and family planning or whatever they are calling it now) isn't in the state standards, so it is only taught in the time left after state testing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:35 am 
WRETCHED

Wow, I remember in high school that 'health education with sex ed' was a semester long course and nothing to do with biology. Also, the driver's ed teacher taught the sex ed course which was... interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

My school had it as a small unit in 10th grade biology (same district, but now 9th graders take biology).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 am 
Dead by dawn

We took "health" as part of PE in 7th or 8th grade and again in 10th, but I don't remember who taught that. It wasn't part of bio because I took that in 9th... I guess there was some coverage of the reproductive system in bio because I remember a couple of kids whose parents wouldn't let them watch a film showing childbirth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 am 
WRETCHED

All you need to do to watch a film showing childbirth is to accidentally turn to TLC on the wrong day. And I do remember some coverage of the reproductive systems in bio but it wasn't really sex ed. Health was where they talked about birth control methods, condoms (good old putting a condom on a banana) and other things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:10 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

2nd Job interview was good the interviewer said he will email me in 2 days, *cross fingers*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cover letter question: if I'm referring to previous work at well known institutions, can I use the abbreviated form of their name or do I need to type it out. These are super well known in this area, and the new job would be working with personnel from the previous places so there wouldn't be any confusion as to what I was talking about. It seems silly to type the full names out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I would spell it out the first time I used it, but put the abbreviation in parentheses next to it, then use the abbreviation any other time you are mentioning the institution. But if you are only mentioning the name once, I would spell it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:42 pm 
Chip Strong

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ok. I know that is the proper way to do it so I'll use up the precious space (two long names, ugh). I was hoping I could get away with cheating, but I shouldn't risk it for a job that I want! Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:15 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I work at least 40 hours a week, but I'm technically freelance so they can tell me not to come in the next day/week/etc without pay or a concrete return date. I've been out since Monday afternoon and their guess is that I'll be called back at the end of the month. The break has been nice, but...I need to work! Time to send out applications.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm considering job hunting again but I've only been at my current job for 7 months. Do you guys think it's pointless? I figured I would wait a year but I just can't live on the money I'm making even though I'm getting good experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 am 
Chip Strong

I think it can't hurt to try. I'm looking after only being at my job for just over a year, mainly because my partner and I are kind of miserable where we live and want to move. Of course you can't be a negative nancy in job applications so I'm just emphasizing how amazing my experience and qualifications are and how perfect I am for the new job. Another factor for me is that it can take six months from applying to actually starting to work at a hospital. If it could take several months for you to actually start a new job then I don't think it's at all unreasonable to start looking!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:39 am 

I'm redoing my resume! It's kind of exciting but I don't really know what to leave on and take off. Internships that led to me being hired as staff back in 2010? The fact that I took a break from the field I'm searching in and nannied for two different families plus worked for an after-school program for two years? (I don't want to leave a two year gap, but it seems like a waste of space to put every child care job I did because no one will care.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:11 pm 

Do you think it's ok to just have a line that says:

Nanny
Portland area families, August 2011-August 2013

So they know I wasn't doing nothing for those two years? Technically during that time I nannied part-time for one family while working at an after-school program and then I nannied full-time for another family. But I don't want to waste space on all of that when it is not at all relevant.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

That is what I would do in terms of summarization but I might include a few bullet points for things that might be applicable just so you can state your duties and responsibilities

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 948 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next