| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pimp My Bike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I just moved back to New Orleans (yay!) and, as I don't own a car, I've been biking everywhere (and praying the potholes don't kill me). My road bike needs some serious upgrades- rear rack, new saddle, etc.

What are your favorite bicycle accessories? Panniers, racks, messenger bags, lights, etc.?

Post subject: Re: Pimp My Bike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Lights are a must, for sure. I use the Planet Bike Super Flash. Rims can be pretty useful as well (this is something I don't have though). I have a front rack and a giant messenger bag for all my grocery getting needs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I just got knog lights (my old lights died) and they seem pretty great- blinding and sexy!, as the package promised.

I think this is probably completely necessary as well: http://www.readymade.com/blog/design/20 ... _mans_pony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

buy this from me:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

but sorry, this isn't for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
but sorry, this isn't for sale.

JEALOUS.
I think I need a really cushy saddle. New Orleans potholes are like no other. I once saw a pothole that someone had stuck a twin mattress in and it still wasn't filled.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am 
Shopped till she dropped

For all those gnarly potholes, definitely spend the money on some kick-ass tires. I have the Specialized Kevlar Armadillos. Yes, they're $60 each, but they are TOTALLY WORTH IT. Sorry, my devotion to them is worth capslock yelling. I have never gotten a flat in the year plus that I've had them. My BF delivers on his bike and he has never gotten a flat in them either, and he's had his even longer than I have. Worth it.

We both have Crome Citizen bags. I've had mine since January 2008. Aside from fading (it's neon orange, or was), it's in completely perfect condition. Fred has a black one, and his look brand new, even though he's had it for nearly 2 years. You can fit a lot in them without going out of control. We don't drive, and manage to do grocery runs on these all the time. Fred has a rack he built himself, but it's only for big trips.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:14 am 
Nailed to the V

kara kara wrote:
For all those gnarly potholes, definitely spend the money on some kick-asparagus tires. I have the Specialized Kevlar Armadillos. Yes, they're $60 each, but they are TOTALLY WORTH IT. Sorry, my devotion to them is worth capslock yelling. I have never gotten a flat in the year plus that I've had them. My BF delivers on his bike and he has never gotten a flat in them either, and he's had his even longer than I have. Worth it.

We both have Crome Citizen bags. I've had mine since January 2008. Aside from fading (it's neon orange, or was), it's in completely perfect condition. Fred has a black one, and his look brand new, even though he's had it for nearly 2 years. You can fit a lot in them without going out of control. We don't drive, and manage to do grocery runs on these all the time. Fred has a rack he built himself, but it's only for big trips.

I second the Chrome. I have the citizen as well Mine is navy and about 3 years old. It still looks new. It's super durable and the perfect size.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Dane wrote:
kara kara wrote:
For all those gnarly potholes, definitely spend the money on some kick-asparagus tires. I have the Specialized Kevlar Armadillos. Yes, they're $60 each, but they are TOTALLY WORTH IT. Sorry, my devotion to them is worth capslock yelling. I have never gotten a flat in the year plus that I've had them. My BF delivers on his bike and he has never gotten a flat in them either, and he's had his even longer than I have. Worth it.

I second the Chrome. I have the citizen as well Mine is navy and about 3 years old. It still looks new. It's super durable and the perfect size.

Thanks, I think the Chrome may have to go to the tope of my Christmas list. Does the buckle bother you at all? I'm trying to avoid boob-crushage and other such discomforts.
The tires look great and will definitely be worth the investment once I have the money. I got a flat my first day back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am super cheap. I use the Trek rack that came with my bike and bungeed a shallow milk crate from a dumpster to it. Not stylish, but it works. Probably goes without saying, but I keep a patch kit, hand pump and multi tool on me. I always go for the nice, cushy handlebar tape, 'cause fork, you only live once.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a Bailey Works bag (minus the McCain stitchery) that is my pride and joy. I went with that one because I didn't like the chrome buckle. Some fenders might become necessary. I have one of those tacky strap on ones for my Cross Check so I don't have to leave it on, but my non-fast/rain bike has full fenders and it's really appreciated on rainy days.

I have a rack on my rain bike but rarely use it since I always have my messenger bag. Sometimes I wish I had panniers when I buy a bunch of groceries before remembering I have to bike home. Depends how much and how often you think you'll carry stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Rust&GoldMachine wrote:
Thanks, I think the Chrome may have to go to the tope of my Christmas list. Does the buckle bother you at all? I'm trying to avoid boob-crushage and other such discomforts.
The tires look great and will definitely be worth the investment once I have the money. I got a flat my first day back.

The buckle doesn't bother me at all, though my boobs aren't the biggest. The strap goes right between them. I love the buckle. It's really useful when your bag is too heavy or full to swing around your head.

Oh, yes! Fenders are essential. I've had an SKS X-Tra-Dry fender for the last few years. It's okay, it's gotten me by, but I really want a full set. The streets in Chicago are nasty, especially all during the winter.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

kara kara wrote:
Rust&GoldMachine wrote:

The buckle doesn't bother me at all, though my boobs aren't the biggest. The strap goes right between them. I love the buckle. It's really useful when your bag is too heavy or full to swing around your head.

I'm in the same situation. Doesn't bother me, right between the boobs, but mine are super large either. Also the strap is well padded and very easy to adjust unlike certain other packs *cough* Timbuk2 *cough*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Catalina wrote:
I have a Bailey Works bag (minus the McCain stitchery) that is my pride and joy. I went with that one because I didn't like the chrome buckle. Some fenders might become necessary. I have one of those tacky strap on ones for my Cross Check so I don't have to leave it on, but my non-fast/rain bike has full fenders and it's really appreciated on rainy days.

I have a rack on my rain bike but rarely use it since I always have my messenger bag. Sometimes I wish I had panniers when I buy a bunch of groceries before remembering I have to bike home. Depends how much and how often you think you'll carry stuff.

The milk crate idea is on the top of my list right now because it's nice and cheap. I always over-shop and then nearly die trying to bike back with all my groceries. Many a banana has been sacrificed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ya'll.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am not a fan of messenger bags. I don't like having things on my back when I ride. I have these Ortlieb panniers. They are a bit too small, but I got them on craigslist because they are pretty expensive new. I want the bigger ones now.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!