| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Dorky New Year Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

So, I'll just say it up front - I am planning on spending New Years Eve with my parents and my hubs, over at their house. Nothing wild and crazy. My mom suggested we could just watch a movie together, but I'm not really that into movies - plus I feel like there's not really any quality visiting or interacting when you're watching a movie together.

I am sort of cheesy, and I like reflective activities, but I can't think of any "reflect on 2012" ideas that sound actually fun, and not forced. I was thinking maybe it would be fun if we all made something together - like a puzzle, or tamales, or like when people decorate xmas cookies together (no more cookies though, I"m gonna burst out of these pants soon!). Obviously, we could do a game night or something like that. I just thought I'd ask if anyone out there in the wide land of PPK had any other ideas for something we could do or make together where we could be chatting and having fun and such while we do it.

thanks friends!

Post subject: Re: Looking for Dorky New Year Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

a friend and I used to make a collage on New Years Eve day. The surface can be a sturdy cardboard or even decoupage. Source materials come from magazines, take out menus, old maps, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm planning on heading out to photograph the sunset with a few other photographer buddies. Hopefully it will help me close a chapter in my life aswell as saying farewell to 2012. If I'm feeling particularly motivated I might get up to photograph the first 2013 sunrise as the opening for the next stage of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

On Christmas Day, at my parents ' house, we played board games. My mother got "LIFE " from my niece and my brother's ex wife. So we settled in for a few hours of fun. Ex SIL ended up a rich lawyer with 5 kids (I told her to strap the fifth one to the roof of the car...makes sense if you know the game), I was down on my luck in a trailer home.

We had a great time, but we all love board games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

a few years ago my brother and his boyfriend came to visit my spouse and i to help us ring in the new year. my sister and her boyfriend joined us as well. we went out for an early dinner together then afterwards at home we all took a piece of paper and colored pencils and decided to draw something on the paper that represented the soon-to-be year behind us. it was pretty fun. some drawings were really simple, others were almost mandala-like 'n abstract and others were very detailed or elaborate. but each person drew/doodled/wrote/sketched from their heart and there were a few happy (and some empathetic) tears shed when we each took our turn going around the table showing and explaining/elaborating what we had created on our sheet of paper and what it meant to us.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We always did NYE as a family up until I graduated high school. We always did 'Family Olympics' with events like:

Rolling a ping pong ball across the carpet with your nose (this was a race)
Extreme Nerf Golf, set up all over the house
The Picture Frame Game (you hold a frame around your face and everyone tries to make you laugh)

And other ridiculous and silly indoor games. I loved it, and look back on it fondly!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:55 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I love all of these ideas! Sounds a lot better than my tradition of being sad and mopey.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
Crazy bat lady

You could play The Game of Things, Apples to Apples, or Castle Panic.

Or if someone has a game system you could do a sing-off, or dance-off, or bowling tournament, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

these are such great ideas!!! Keep 'em coming. They are so cool. PPK for president!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
Chip Strong

This is for next new years... someone on FB posted a nice idea of starting a jar and every time something good happens during the year, you write it down and put it in the jar. Then on new years the following year you read and reminisce :) Actually I suppose you could do arts and crafts and get your jars set up ;) And while doing that reminisce about the good things that happened this year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

erynne936 wrote:
This is for next new years... someone on FB posted a nice idea of starting a jar and every time something good happens during the year, you write it down and put it in the jar. Then on new years the following year you read and reminisce :) Actually I suppose you could do arts and crafts and get your jars set up ;) And while doing that reminisce about the good things that happened this year!

oh, this is a GREAT idea!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Homemade Mad Libs?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Card games and jigsaw puzzles. The game Guesstures is good but you could do plain old charades that you make cards for. Group project to make a 4 person snuggie by the end of the night. Alphabet games where you have a certain amount of time to name a thing using every letter. (Such as the category of food using apple, banana, cabbage, pinenuts, etc). Do the hustle. Each person gets an animal to help them complete a treasure hunt through the house.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:55 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Stage ridiculous group photos depicting events from the year or artworks.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was going to suggest board games. Perhaps something like Cranium which is the next level of board games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

paprikapapaya wrote:
Sounds a lot better than my tradition of being sad and mopey.

I like this tradition and plan on sticking to it. Though I haven't decided to celebrate by getting drunk by myself or going to bed at 8pm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!
In the end, my mom came up with a really great idea, which was to sort through a big box of disorganized old family photos from my parents' childhoods and from when they were first married, but before they adopted my older brother. It was so fun to see pictures of them when they were younger and just early in their relationship, and it was fun how happy it made them to look at all their old pictures. At midnight, we had a little champagne (we have a few bottles left over from our wedding this summer), but we didn't make much hooplah, because we didn't want to scare our dogs. It was a really sweet little evening!

Xo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm a little late, but we used to do fondue, which was a really special fun thing (my parents were married in the late '60s, so they had 3 fondue pots and we did a few different kinds) and made for a really drawn out fun meal.