| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: things that got the name of a place for (obscur) reasons
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rhelune wrote:
And, it seems, Danish pastry is from Vienna.

yes! we call it "wienerbrød" which translates to "vienna bread". but i think there are so many adapted danish versions that it's sort of a danish thing now. I'm pretty sure it's called "Kopenhagenerbrot" in german - which translates to "Copenhagener Bread".

according to my research, the story of danish pastries is that back in the 1700s the bakeries didn't want to pay the bakers a decent wage (it's hard to explain the conflict. basically you got trained to be a baker, and it was the trainees who didn't want to work unless they got a decent pay), so they went on a strike (we are the country that created workers movements and unions, after all.).
The bakeries responded with importing a bunch of bakers from Vienna, who brought a recipe for a sweetened bread made from flour, sugar and butter, which was folded several times. And when the bakeries and the trainees came to agreement, the viennese bakers were sent back to Vienna, and the danish trainees had to learn how to make the viennese dough because it had become so popular.
Of course, there were made several recipes from this dough, a lot of which WERE actually made in Denmark - so it's not too strange it's called a danish after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

in Denmark, we have a thing called "Pariserbøf" which translates to "parisean burger". it's a burger made from beef which is served red and with a raw egg yolk on top.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

smoothie wrote:
"wienerbrød"

The only thing I got out of this post was "wiener broad." I'll return to my corner of twelve-year-old giggling now.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:52 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm getting intense cravings for everything you guys are talking about. I'm so forking multi-cultural.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I like vegan buffets because I can try more dishes that way. I do hate meat-eater's buffets because side dishes are served in the same pans as meat, touching it, and there's nothing for me. I worry about the hygiene of other guests, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

linanil wrote:
I think one of the funniest things is pizza americana (this is supposedly from a restaurant in Italy)

An Italian actually told me that pizza with fries does exist in italia. I still can't believe it.
He also told me that the Hawai pizza (pineapple -obviously) was heresy. That I believe.

(by the way do you also call "hawaï" anything+pineapple or is it only here?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Emilie wrote:
linanil wrote:
I think one of the funniest things is pizza americana (this is supposedly from a restaurant in Italy)

An Italian actually told me that pizza with fries does exist in italia. I still can't believe it.
He also told me that the Hawai pizza (pineapple -obviously) was heresy. That I believe.

(by the way do you also call "hawaï" anything+pineapple or is it only here?)

Ham and pineapple. When I was young I loved it so much I wanted to go to Hawaii so I could eat all the pizza.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lepelaar wrote:
French toast in Dutch is "wentelteefjes". "Wentel" = turn/flip, "teefjes" = small bisques (as in female dogs, not the invective). I've never thought to consider the literal meaning of the word. Huh...

I was going to say that I'd heard it used as an invective, but then I realized that was only when preceded by, say, "tyfus." Because it's not insulting to call someone a bisque, but a bisque with an obscure bacterial disease? Oh no you didn't!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5