| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: Relationship advice, decisions, smiles or tears
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This thread is making me happy that I'm mostly buying food just for me!
I guess a way of solving the how to share food equaly-issue is to be honest about why it's annoying (ie: it's an expensive treat and I want it to last for a week, I'd like to bring leftovers to work) and then suggest that snacks are bought separately and maybe even suggest that if people are hungry after dinner, thay eat a sandwich instead of the leftovers? And if you want to bring leftovers, maybe pack them BEFORE serving dinner?

Living with people really makes it obvious how different people can be :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I also think that the name 'leftovers' makes the food seem less important - if you'd made something for that evening it wouldn't get eaten as a snack before your meal and by the same token if you intentionally make extra to last a few days or for lunch the next day it's not really leftovers as far as I'm concerned, it's the second and third portion! If this continued to be a problem I might think about freezing my 'leftovers' in single portions for myself.

I have a separate treats drawer which my o/h (veggie not vegan) knows not to go into. I had to impress upon him that my expensive vegan treats were not the equivalent of a generic chocolate bar which he could go to the corner shop or all night garage and cheaply replace. (If he really enjoyed the treats it would be a little different - although I'd still not expect to come and find and empty drawer when I wanted something - but he actually prefers the cheaper, plainer stuff and would only eat mine out of laziness.) He's not too motivated by food other than sweets and chocolates so my fridge stuff is fairly safe. I can imagine how frustrating it would be because when you buy something you expect at least some of it to be there to serve to guests or to eat yourself. Also, if our partners aren't actually replacing the food, having to find the time to go to the shops and drag heavy bags home, put stuff away etc I think they don't fully understand the hassle of shopping more frequently is not just financial.

With regard to finances I've heard of a lot of problems with different income levels over the years and I see mention of it here. My o/h was a poor student when we were first together so I paid for most things when we were dating. But by the time we moved in together he earned almost double what I did. We set up a joint account for bills, mortgage etc and both paid the same percentage of our wages into it, so that we both had roughly the same percentage (relative to our wage) of disposable income for going out, clothes and savings. (In our circumstances, with vegan food being so much more expensive and me being much more interested in food, we split the food bill 50/50 but for most people I think that should come from the joint account too.) I believe a lot of money stresses and arguments would be avoided if people adopted this system when they move in together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 am 
WRETCHED

I think you just have to find out what works best for you. I can totally understand anting to slightly hoard things because they are vegan/expensive or at least some equal share. When my husband and I were dating and we moved in together, I agreed that I'd do all the meal planning so I bought all the groceries and paid the utility bills, he paid the rent. He made significantly more money than me but I was being paid well. A few months before we got married, he dumped most/all of his paycheck into my account (which I then made a shared account). He doesn't do any of the bills, he hardly spends any money though and money that we do spend is mostly shared. Big expenses are discussed but I manage the money. I think with our dynamic it just worked that way and wouldn't work for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i do get a lot out of the relationship, we have lots of fun together and he's there for me in times of need. But I don't know if the cons outweigh the positive at this juncture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 am 
WELFARIST!

Re: food sharing. It makes me glad to live alone or with someone who doesn't eat what I eat! I've had stuff at T's house for eons that he will never touch, so I'm positive that if we ever lived together that it wouldn't be an issue. I once lived with a guy and his brother, and the brother would eat all my food, specifically my jello (obvs, pregan), and it drove me insane. He didn't drink, so I started making my jello with booze instead of water, and would leave notes on it that said, 'Sorry, contains booze' and then eat it all in front of him, because I am a passive aggressive crasshole, and just asking him to not eat it did not work.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:28 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I guess we have it pretty easy, all our money is lumped together and we just buy groceries together and eat without monitoring who is eating what. It makes it very simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:04 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys.

We actually had a bit of a fight about this last night (as predicted, it brings up a lot of insecurity in him about our income difference, and when I mention that it's expensive, he hears, "I'm spending all my millions on maple syrup for you, and you should feel guilty that you don't make more money." Sigh). We didn't really reach a resolution, but I did get a chance to set a firmer boundary with regard to some stuff, which was good, and I think might help.

Relatedly, I will say that while I hate arguing with D, he's an amazing guy. He hates conflict, and I am the type of person who feels like I need to get things out IMMEDIATELY when they come up, so it's been hard for us to find a way to disagree and work things out. We're both trying, though, and when our argument over this got to a place where we were both feeling really frustrated and pissed, he said, "you know, I think this is just making it worse. I want to back away." Normally, I'd be all, "mother forker, you will finish this argument and you will like it!" but with D, I evidently love him more than I love arguing. We put it aside for another day, and even though we were both mad, he made a point to say he loved me and then snuggled me when we went to bed. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to talk about it again in a few days and hopefully make some progress.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

JoPa, my partner cycles very intensely so all the food stuff seems really familiar to me (my partner also will eat horrifying things in the middle of the night. Like wads of veganaise on a tortilla). I think the best way to keep him out of stuff has been for him to figure out snacks for himself before bed on nights he knows he'll get up to eat once (or twice, or four times.. ) PB agave sammiches are really good for this, and cheap, along with an extra carton of whatever milk you drink.
But yeah, the uncontrolled night eating is a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

paprikapapaya wrote:
I guess we have it pretty easy, all our money is lumped together and we just buy groceries together and eat without monitoring who is eating what. It makes it very simple.

Yes, we do the same thing. I can get a little obsessive about spending on non-essentials, but I would have a real problem (verging on disordered eating territory) if we had disagreement about food spending. We definitely are the type of couple who see income as shared, which we did even before having kids.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jordanpattern wrote:

Relatedly, I will say that while I hate arguing with D, he's an amazing guy. He hates conflict, and I am the type of person who feels like I need to get things out IMMEDIATELY when they come up, so it's been hard for us to find a way to disagree and work things out. We're both trying, though, and when our argument over this got to a place where we were both feeling really frustrated and pissed, he said, "you know, I think this is just making it worse. I want to back away." Normally, I'd be all, "mother forker, you will finish this argument and you will like it!" but with D, I evidently love him more than I love arguing.

Jay is exactly like that! At first it drove me INSANE, because dammit, if we need to argue, we need to argue, but he has chilled me out so much over the years. He also lets arguments go and never stews, while I tend to worry and cry and want to make things perfect in my mind. He's taught me (though it hasn't been easy), that that is all my ego, and he's right (which is not easy to admit).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

In response to PP and Kiddo:

That's all fine and good. My point is not so much that it's MY money, but more than A LOT OF money is going towards stuff that is being, in my opinion, kind of wasted, or at least not used appropriately (D definitely agrees on that point!). You guys have been together a lot longer than the year or so that D and I have been together, so sharing finances makes more sense for you. At this stage in the game for me, I'm not interested in formally merging our finances, and neither is D. I think that's just common sense. That said, things like groceries do essentially come out of a shared pool. I do see our incomes as largely shared.

Also, I'd like to point out that I'm not "monitoring who is eating what." I'm not walking around with my little notebook writing down how many nectarines each of us have eaten. You really don't have to be Big Brother to notice 2 cups of maple syrup going missing from the brand new jug overnight, along with 5 boxes of granola.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:36 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I just went out for coffee with B.P. It was the first time we saw each other (other than one time glancing at each other while out at the same place by coincidence). It was nice, I do think we should become friends. I can talk to him so much more easily than with most people. And that was a big thing that drew me to him in the first place. But damn it I'm still super attracted to him. I think he's just got the right kind of pheromone that I just can't help but love.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Jordan, yeah I totally get that it wouldn't work for every situation, and I guess my post wasn't all that helpful...but even if you aren't monitoring what Snackwolf is eating, you are still definitely noticing via the impact it has on your shopping/food inventory. So if you already pool grocery money, is it just that you feel like you don't have what you need on hand, and have to spend more time shopping?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes, after I posted what I did, I realized it wasn't particularly helpful, either! Different situations and all that. I hope you guys find a resolution (and you will!) because you guys seem like such an awesome, loving couple. How does he not have a major headache after guzzling maple syrup?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Would it be too much trouble to just say "these things are mine, and these things are for sharing"? Or if they're all for sharing, just ask him to leave you x amount? We shared groceries with a roommate, and while that totally didn't work out, I would just subtract my things from the shared grocery bill and let him know they were my snacks, not for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I like Olives' idea of prepping snacks ahead of time so when snackwolf comes out at night he has something immediately at hand.

Also I did not get from Jordan's post that she minds sharing. What I understand is that she minds expensive food just getting scarfed to fill a hole in the belly rather than being appreciated. I had a roommate once who drank a LOT of wine (at night too, maybe she was the winewolf) . She was just drinking for the sake of getting drunk (separate issue, ha!) so I would get mad if she drank my $20 bottle. I would have been happy to share and enjoy a $20 bottle if we could appreciate it together but if you're just blindly scarfing and looking for more, drink (eat) something for $3 rather than $20.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This food eating issue hits close to home, cause me and my boyfriend, while we don't have formally shared incomes, do pool our grocery buying efforts. As in, you buy groceries, i buy, you buy i buy, which normally works when we go shopping every few days and spend about $20 a time. This is how we shop, not weekly but a few times a week. Both of us are recovered-ish/recovering from eating disorders, which we have been open about to eachother since we met, since its pretty hard to hide something like that from someone you love and live with. So shaming eachother about eating the expensive stuff is a no no, but he does make a lot more money than me, and he will eat a lot at the snackwolf hour, haha. I don't eat in my sleep, so i don't like to wake up to the aftermath, but I understand.

The problem we have is he will eat something, like a box of cookies I had been looking forward to, and tell me he will replace it, which he will but it could be days later. I start to freak out and eat everything there is sometimes if there isn't any sweets. I have to find sweets, desperately, and I may end up eating the whole thing of oatmeal with the whole thing of peanut butter if I had planned to eat half the box of cookies and split it with him, and they are gone. He tells me I need to eat more alot, or that he's concerned with my size and I look too skinny lately or something, but then he will unknowingly prevent me from enjoying my food, and then I wont eat, and then he'll get mad at me about it, etc.

I think the best way to deal with things like this, at least how we do it, is to have the conversation about how we are both allowed to eat anything we want at any time, as long as we are contributing as much as we can on our respective incomes towards food. We do not get fancy stuff, but thats cause of being frugal, not cause he can't afford it. If we do buy something expensive and fancy, I don't tell him I'm going to hide it, because I don't want to make a big deal, but I will put it all the way in the back of the cabinent under stuff like corn husks for tamales. THis way he can still find it and eat it if he really wants to, but if he is asleep he will not find it and not eat it. Thats the best I feel, don't hide it and tell him its off limits, just make it too hard to get to when asleep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks!

Stellamarie, you've got it right. I absolutely don't mind sharing, but I mind expensive stuff being mindlessly consumed in huge quantities when there are cheaper alternatives. I think that's partly why it's hard to get him to stop - that kind of more subtle distinction just doesn't seem to register at 2 am when he's standing in front of the fridge.

vegetable_assassin, it sounds like you and your bf have a very different set of things going on than my bf and I, but thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 pm 

i had friends over for pancakes once - these friends aren't vegan and aren't used to real maple syrup, so I almost had a heart attack when they used like half a jug of maple on their pancakes! this wouldn't work for your situation, but i just promised myself that if they ever came over again for pancakes, I'd just buy some 2.99 log cabin! This was also during a time when I didn't have a job, so maple syrup was a super precious commodity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Thinking more in depth about this, I suppose I have "my" cabinet where I put my indulgences (carob chips, chocolate hazelnut butter) and I depend on my inventory to be as I left it. The pantry is fair game. I guess this has been working out. We both do shopping, often separately, but maintain a common list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My partner is an ultra marathoner who eats beyond the imaginable so I get where you're coming from. I have to explicitly tell him (forbid him) what not to eat. Usually it's portions of meals I'm planning for another day's dinner, etc. There have been too many times when i've come home from work on a night i had planned not to cook only to discover all of the meal completely eaten. I am super specific about what is available for snacking and what is off limits.

I also make extra grains, pasta, or carb heavy veg so he can fill up on sides that are no fuss to cook. I think it helps for him to have his own designated snacks and clear boundaries about the food we have to share. Lately he has really been loving dates as an easy hi-calorie snack at night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 am 

Ha, J will totally snack on the marinating tofu. Snack to the point where that poor tofu will never see the inside of the oven. I don't even bother caring anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe that's a great idea - getting some cheap fake maple syrup? I bet it's just as delicious at 2am as maple syrup if you just want some calories NOW.

I was going to suggest making some vegan granola bars like these or these with another syrup than maple or these. Or maybe peanut butter rice krispie treats? Or something like raw brownie bars? Maybe keeping some deliciously sugary snacks in the fridge will solve the problem. Or keeping muffins in the freezer! They thaw in like 20 minutes.

But I am not sure I actually understand: is he literally asleep when he is eating at night? Because if he isn't, shouldn't it be pretty easy for him to not eat the maple syrup or other super expensive items? I mean, if there is something else to eat that fills his cravings, even just some trail mix or something, it's his responsibility not to eat the expensive maple syrup if you guys have agreed on it, right? Or have I misunderstood something?

If he isn't vegan, maybe just buying a gigantic jar of nutella and keeping some wasa crisp bread around will fix the problem?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yeah, like everyone else said, the only solution would be clear boundaries and plenty of cheaper late night snacks available. In my case, i put the more expensive wine on one side of the wine rack and roommate knew that she was to stay on her side. She was pretty good about it.

Vegetable Assassin - I would say that if you panic when there are no sweets available, maybe keep 'emergency' Oreos or nutter butters in the freezer. That way you know they are there if you want something sweet, but they aren't so easy to access. Of course this is just a band-aid and your real life therapist will work with you on a real, long term solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My guy has been so amazing since I got home from travelling earlier this week. I was gone 2.5 weeks and it's pretty obvious that he missed me (which is sweet). I missed him a lot too! He's talking about possibly traveling with me in the future... I'm so excited! A year ago he didn't have any interest in travel. And I'm discussing my big life stuff with him and taking his thoughts into consideration which is odd for me. Usually I make a decision and then notify anyone who needs to know, but I like talking it over with him and getting his view on it.

Good luck with the snackwolves!
I tend to do more of the grocery buying and cooking, but I also eat at home more. He buys me drinks when we go out so I think I come out ahead overall. He buys his own dairy stuff and snacks since I don't know what to get (he's not vegan). So far, we keep finances totally separate and I don't see that changing (the ratio of who pays for what will likely change depending on income/employment/etc).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 177  Next