| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 163  Next
 Post subject: Re: Relationship advice, decisions, smiles or tears
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay, Torque lives!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
lutin wrote:
I like your dual-proposal-acceptance idea, ameyfm. BUt I wonder, how would it work out practically?

I really love the idea. Most couples talk about getting engaged or married in a casual way before one person proposes any way. So you could agree that when you're ready, you each get to propose in a way you want to. And as long as its fun and doesn't get competitive or lead to hurt feelings, it would be so nice.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. You could each know that it was probably coming your way, but not know when it would happen or what form it would take!

Also, I'm so glad to read your good news, Torque. May it continue!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

allularpunk wrote:
Yay, torque and Fizz! Pretty much my favorite thing ever is when a relationship with a good foundation that has gotten a little rocky finds its way around the bend and ends up with everyone being happy.

Thoroughly agreed. torque, I am so happy time apart worked so well for you and your fam! Welcome back! <3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:42 am 

allularpunk wrote:
Aw, that's sweet, lutin! Out of curiosity, what sort of thing would you like to do once you finish? Would you be moving in order to work?

I'd like to graduate on time (which means, around March 2015). That gets pretty much all of my brain right now, which is why even thinking about post-diss life is kind of ....silly. Once I graduate, I have to decide on academia or some kind of business/corporate/consulting work. It will almost certainly mean a move away from NL, and I am unlikely to find work in Denmark, where NatureBoy lives, unless there's a short term postdoc offered in Aarhus, Copenhagen or Lund (Sweden). Before I met NatureBoy, I'd been thinking of moving elsewhere in the anglophone world with amazing nature (e.g. Oz or New Zealand) but those are tricky places for him to work, and would mean being far from both our families. So! I don't know. But we're both vaguely wondering about it. The "only" three things I want are: work, nature and to live together. I am so ready for this to stop being a long distance and start being a living together kinda thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lutin wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Aw, that's sweet, lutin! Out of curiosity, what sort of thing would you like to do once you finish? Would you be moving in order to work?

I'd like to graduate on time (which means, around March 2015). That gets pretty much all of my brain right now, which is why even thinking about post-diss life is kind of ....silly. Once I graduate, I have to decide on academia or some kind of business/corporate/consulting work. It will almost certainly mean a move away from NL, and I am unlikely to find work in Denmark, where NatureBoy lives, unless there's a short term postdoc offered in Aarhus, Copenhagen or Lund (Sweden). Before I met NatureBoy, I'd been thinking of moving elsewhere in the anglophone world with amazing nature (e.g. Oz or New Zealand) but those are tricky places for him to work, and would mean being far from both our families. So! I don't know. But we're both vaguely wondering about it. The "only" three things I want are: work, nature and to live together. I am so ready for this to stop being a long distance and start being a living together kinda thing.

I think your final 3 goals should be achievable with some exploration and planning. Good luck with finishing on time. In my experience, things generally fall into place as time goes by.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm fighting back tears at my desk right now on behalf of my friend. She's been with her boyfriend for something like 7 years, and as long as I've known her (about 4 years), she's had such a tumultuous time with him. I really like him, he's funny and quirky and smart and has always been nice to me. But he acts so shady when it comes to her. He's cheated on her in the early days of their relationship, and she's completely unable to trust him now. Every few months he does something or starts acting all shade-tastic and she thinks she'll finally leave him. Bonus that she wants to get married someday, but not to him really, and he never wants to get married to anyone. I know those attitudes can change, but it's been a long time and they haven't for him still. They'll have these big blowups and then he'll get all sweet talk-y and things will be hunky dory for awhile, and then the cycle repeats. She's so afraid of being alone after so long (totally understandable), and she's got this eye problem situation which means she relies on him to drive her places (work, grocery store, doctor's appointments), she's not sure she could swing rent on her own (she could if she cut back on stuff, and I could coach her through that, having gone through it last year myself), and if she ended up being the one that moved, it would mean learning a totally new layout of a place…but if she was the one who stayed, there are all the memories. I so completely understand what she is going through and I know how scary all that stuff is to deal with. I don't know what she should do, but I know she's not happy, so something has to give. I've tried giving her the best advice I know, but I know that only goes so far and ultimately it's all up to her. I wish she could trust him and they could be happy together. And if she can't do that, I hope she finds the strength to walk away. I just hate seeing her in such turmoil all the time.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

allularpunk wrote:
I wish she could trust him and they could be happy together. And if she can't do that, I hope she finds the strength to walk away. I just hate seeing her in such turmoil all the time.
I couldn't trust someone who had cheated on me. I don't know what you mean by shady, but if he isn't open and honest about his life still (after cheating on her) then he doesn't seem trustworthy even if he hadn't cheated.

I think all you can do is try to get her to focus on the long-term and not the short. She's stuck planning the best way to get through the week or month and it is ruining her success/happiness for the long term. Dragging out a bad relationship just makes everything harder and worse. It also takes the place of opportunities to find a good relationship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tigon wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Dragging out a bad relationship just makes everything harder and worse. It also takes the place of opportunities to find a good relationship.

Yes, this is advice that someone gave to me near the end of my last relationship, and it was very eye opening. By shady, I mean that he seems to be a little evasive about his comings and goings and tends to have inappropriate (in her eyes) friendships with other women that results in a lot of secretive texting. I know some people who have been able to make it work after an infidelity, so I guess it's possible. But you really, really have to forgive and not be bringing it up all the time and really, actually trust them. I don't know how it's done, I've never accomplished it (though I've tried).

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:14 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

allularpunk wrote:
Tigon wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Dragging out a bad relationship just makes everything harder and worse. It also takes the place of opportunities to find a good relationship.

Yes, this is advice that someone gave to me near the end of my last relationship, and it was very eye opening. By shady, I mean that he seems to be a little evasive about his comings and goings and tends to have inappropriate (in her eyes) friendships with other women that results in a lot of secretive texting. I know some people who have been able to make it work after an infidelity, so I guess it's possible. But you really, really have to forgive and not be bringing it up all the time and really, actually trust them. I don't know how it's done, I've never accomplished it (though I've tried).

The flipside of that is that they really, really have to be contrite, sorry, and accountable going forward. And that is not something I've seen happen often after infidelity.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, yeah, that too!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh man, ya'll. Unicorn is so great. She came to my surgery yesterday and waited in the pre-op room with me for the, like two hours or so until they wheeled me away to surgery, then stayed at the hospital and helped me remember all the post-op care stuff, then drove us to my house. I puked in the car (into a bag luckily) and she was so sweet and threw away the bag for me, and walking was pretty difficult so she helped with that. And then once we were home she made up a chart to write down the times I'm taking all my pills, made me tofu-quinoa-miso soup, got my pillows all set up, emptied my surgical drains even! She's just so caring and expresses so much love to me, it's so great. Oh and she got me a 'post-surgical gift' which was a SUPER low-cut v-neck t-shirt from American Apparel so I can show off my new chest in it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars, that's awesome! She sounds super.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Mars wrote:
Oh man, ya'll. Unicorn is so great. She came to my surgery yesterday and waited in the pre-op room with me for the, like two hours or so until they wheeled me away to surgery, then stayed at the hospital and helped me remember all the post-op care stuff, then drove us to my house. I puked in the car (into a bag luckily) and she was so sweet and threw away the bag for me, and walking was pretty difficult so she helped with that. And then once we were home she made up a chart to write down the times I'm taking all my pills, made me tofu-quinoa-miso soup, got my pillows all set up, emptied my surgical drains even! She's just so caring and expresses so much love to me, it's so great. Oh and she got me a 'post-surgical gift' which was a SUPER low-cut v-neck t-shirt from American Apparel so I can show off my new chest in it :)

Awww. How sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm 

Mars! I am so happy you have such a sweet and caring lady to look after you. I am also so stoked at how good your relationship sounds. Giant hugs! And swift/painless recovery!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

allularpunk wrote:
I'm fighting back tears at my desk right now on behalf of my friend.
*several red flags
*friend seems to want to end the relationship but doesn't see a way out

I just hate seeing her in such turmoil all the time.

Yeah, it's tough to see something from the outside and tell a real life friend to DTMFA.

I've seen it too with people, but it's not easy to say "I think I see a few red flags, so why are you together and are you sure you're not better off alone"?

I feel sorry for your friend cause I can say I've also been kind of trapped in a relationship cause I was afraid of how to deal with all the changes when I would be on my own again.

In the end you're better off alone than to be with some one who doesn't treat you with respect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
I'm fighting back tears at my desk right now on behalf of my friend. She's been with her boyfriend for something like 7 years, and as long as I've known her (about 4 years), she's had such a tumultuous time with him. I really like him, he's funny and quirky and smart and has always been nice to me. But he acts so shady when it comes to her. He's cheated on her in the early days of their relationship, and she's completely unable to trust him now. Every few months he does something or starts acting all shade-tastic and she thinks she'll finally leave him. Bonus that she wants to get married someday, but not to him really, and he never wants to get married to anyone. I know those attitudes can change, but it's been a long time and they haven't for him still. They'll have these big blowups and then he'll get all sweet talk-y and things will be hunky dory for awhile, and then the cycle repeats. She's so afraid of being alone after so long (totally understandable), and she's got this eye problem situation which means she relies on him to drive her places (work, grocery store, doctor's appointments), she's not sure she could swing rent on her own (she could if she cut back on stuff, and I could coach her through that, having gone through it last year myself), and if she ended up being the one that moved, it would mean learning a totally new layout of a place…but if she was the one who stayed, there are all the memories. I so completely understand what she is going through and I know how scary all that stuff is to deal with. I don't know what she should do, but I know she's not happy, so something has to give. I've tried giving her the best advice I know, but I know that only goes so far and ultimately it's all up to her. I wish she could trust him and they could be happy together. And if she can't do that, I hope she finds the strength to walk away. I just hate seeing her in such turmoil all the time.

It seems that she's in this relationship because she needs transportation and a roommate. That's really not a good reason to stay with someone who :
--cheated on her early in the relationship
--she can't trust
--they fight (in a cyclical fashion- fight - blowup-he's sweet which is a huge warning sign)
--she's not happy
--wants to get married but not to him

Unless she likes what she has now, she needs to leave. He's not a nice guy if he treats her poorly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mars wrote:

This is all the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mars, I love Unicorn on your behalf. She sounds as awesome as you deserve.

Don't forget: no lifting, stretching, etc against doctor's orders!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:20 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Mars, its so awesome to hear!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Mars, when you are recovered enough, please give this beautiful sparkly unicorn a hug from me! In the mean time, tell her that the PPK thanks her for being so good to you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

vijita wrote:
I have two girlfriends right now (who don't know each other, sorry if this is worded confusingly) in a situation--one is engaged to a long-term dude, the other is about to be engaged to a short-term dude. What's similar is that both sets of couples seem to have a really off-balance relationship.

I think what I'd do in this situation is ask questions about the relationship and do a lot of listening. Maybe give your opinion once, and then listen openly to whatever she has to say. In the long run, this lets you be available to the friend if she continues with the relationship and needs support getting out of it later. If you give a strong condemnation, your friend might avoid you when things get tough out of embarrassment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 am 
Chard Martyr

mollyjade wrote:
vijita wrote:
I have two girlfriends right now (who don't know each other, sorry if this is worded confusingly) in a situation--one is engaged to a long-term dude, the other is about to be engaged to a short-term dude. What's similar is that both sets of couples seem to have a really off-balance relationship.

I think what I'd do in this situation is ask questions about the relationship and do a lot of listening. Maybe give your opinion once, and then listen openly to whatever she has to say. In the long run, this lets you be available to the friend if she continues with the relationship and needs support getting out of it later. If you give a strong condemnation, your friend might avoid you when things get tough out of embarrassment.

I think this is brilliant advice. Just by opening myself up to being an ear to listen, I'm sure my friends will be more inclined to hear me out if I do express reservations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Veg_Eric and Vantine, you two are spot on. She's been so close to breaking up with him so many times, and I've offered her as much support as I can. I've told her that I would take her wherever she needs to go and that she has other friends who will do the same. She has a very hard time asking for and accepting help. Unfortunately I feel like at this point, all I can do is be there for her, whatever decision she makes.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm engaged!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

fupapack wrote:
I'm engaged!

Awesome!!!!
COngrats!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 163  Next