| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1976 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I feel like this deserves its own thread. Facebook annoyances, exchanges, funnies, whatever.

My thing: My dad is terrible at the Internet. I kind of wish he'd stop saying "luv ya!" and "nice tat" on every status/photo I post.

That's all right now.

Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:44 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

This is just super cute, my my grandmother-in-law is 92 and uses Facebook and by all standards, is super hip on the latest technology. I mean, she Facebooks from her iPad. But, bless her, she doesn't quite understand what it means to "like" something. Instead of clicking the like button, she writes, "Stella likes this". So cute.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's pretty adorable. I have an 80 year old Facebook friend who likes literally every post I make, and as far as I know, everyone else that he follows as well. I think he thinks that "like" is for acknowledging that you saw your friends' posts. Or he's just really enthusiastic about everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Whenever I post pictures from my travels or my career-type stuff, one of my friends' mom is always commenting about how proud she is of me and then mentions something from way back in high school.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Ha, these are all adorable.
Sometimes my nan will write messages to one of us (she only has eight friends, my mum and uncle, and us grandchildren) as status updates. First I tried to explain to her how to send messages, but now I always just like them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I am probably that enthusiastic! If I see someone I liked posted photos and I look through them, I "like" them. Mostly as a way of sending love through the ether at them. I like it when people "like" my photos or share something on something I post, and I appreciate both what they say and that they took the time to say it.

I saw your Dad's post about loving you and that you're beautiful, and I just thought it was SO SWEET. I guess its weird to say it in such a public forum, but man, I wish my parents were able to express stuff like that to me, or be in contact. My mom has been dead for nearly 5 years, and I wish I could just have that second of connection. That said, if it really annoys you, you can always just delete his posts or ask him to private message you instead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My gammy just sent me a friend request yesterday! She's 77.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I am probably that enthusiastic! If I see someone I liked posted photos and I look through them, I "like" them. Mostly as a way of sending love through the ether at them. I like it when people "like" my photos or share something on something I post, and I appreciate both what they say and that they took the time to say it.

I saw your Dad's post about loving you and that you're beautiful, and I just thought it was SO SWEET. I guess its weird to say it in such a public forum, but man, I wish my parents were able to express stuff like that to me, or be in contact. My mom has been dead for nearly 5 years, and I wish I could just have that second of connection. That said, if it really annoys you, you can always just delete his posts or ask him to private message you instead.

Oh, it doesn't ANNOY annoy me. It's just kind of awkward. He's silly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My dad not only posts publicly instead of messaging, but does so as a comment to totally random status updates or photos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ariann wrote:
My dad not only posts publicly instead of messaging, but does so as a comment to totally random status updates or photos.

My Grandma totally does this. She's 83, so it's pretty rad she's even on Facebook.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:30 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My dad just stalks my facebook. That's the only reason he even has an account. He never comments or likes anything, but he will bring up my posts in conversation or in emails. I kind of don't like it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:07 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

My mom calls to tell me she posted a message to me on Facebook. Occasionally, I'll get a Facebook message, email, and phone call about the same message.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ashley wrote:
My dad just stalks my facebook. That's the only reason he even has an account. He never comments or likes anything, but he will bring up my posts in conversation or in emails. I kind of don't like it.

put him on the restricted list, he'll still be your friend but won't see content. it's what i do with coworkers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

When Brian's grandparents signed up for facebook, they just signed up under grandpa's name. He never used it, and we all knew it was grandma but the name never changed. Now he's been dead for a year and as far as I know, she still hasn't changed it. It's just a little odd.

My father-in-law is almost 70, but he's always been really into technology and gadgets. His awkward thing is that he thinks it's really crazy and weird to post personal stuff on the internet, like he used to try and lecture me about putting pictures of myself on flickr. So he signs up for facebook, never posts anything at all (he's had the same profile picture since he signed up 3-4 years ago), rarely comments, but if you are near him when he has his ipad on he will read you his whole forking facebook feed with commentary. I forget he follows me on instagram until he likes a photo once every two weeks.

Brian's mom is awkward because if she finds out Brian has an account somewhere, she signs up for the service no matter what it is. She signed up for foursquare and when Brian checked into a realtors office here, she texted him and asked how the househunting was going. And that was literally the last time he used foursquare. She has a friggin' Steam account, she's never played a computer game in her life!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh man! My dad (71) reads me his Facebook feed and offers commentary. I love him so much, but I just have to be like, DAD! STOP! It makes me feel like a teenager. I am happy that he likes and is using his iPad though!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

fupapack wrote:
ashley wrote:

put him on the restricted list, he'll still be your friend but won't see content. it's what i do with coworkers.

You could also occasionally post something to 'everyone' so he does see some selective things, to placate him. Hah. Yeah that's a bit creepy!

My mum will sometimes comment on my posts "Luv ya babe! xoxo". Which is sweet, but it's so random which one's she does this to! Sometimes she won't comment at all on updates, and sometimes she'll post this to something that seems to really not make sense at all given the context of the post. And she 'likes' everything I post, ever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Can we call this Facebawkwardness? Please?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My mom will post the occasional "love youuuuu xoxo" which is sweet but embarrassing too. After she posted "wow you look hot xoxo" on a photo I was tagged in I had to remind her that it wasn't my photo and that my friend had also received her lovely alert and all of her friends could see it too. I think I've tamed her to just commenting on my own stuff now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:11 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Mars wrote:
fupapack wrote:
ashley wrote:

You could also occasionally post something to 'everyone' so he does see some selective things, to placate him. Hah. Yeah that's a bit creepy!

The thing is that I rarely post anything I wouldn't want him to read, so I don't necessarily need to restrict him. It just catches me off guard when he mentions things I've posted. It's like, oh yeah, you do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my sister and her husband are in a somewhat rocky relationship, and i'm not really a fan of him (not to mention he uploads pictures of his meats all the time.) so i don't have him added to the filter i regularly read. the last time they had an argument, and she went back, he started tagging her in a bunch of his posts (even if she wasn't in the picture) i assume to prove to someone that they're still together? i mean i would like to see my sister's posts, but if i have to unfriend him, i will.

on the same note, it's always awkward when i see someone posting an update with a tag instead of directly on the person's page. (in instances where it would be more appropriate, of course) i often feel embarrassed for the tagged person, since personal messages are showing up to all of each of their friends instead of only to mutual friends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Brian's mom is awkward because if she finds out Brian has an account somewhere, she signs up for the service no matter what it is. She signed up for foursquare and when Brian checked into a realtors office here, she texted him and asked how the househunting was going. And that was literally the last time he used foursquare. She has a friggin' Steam account, she's never played a computer game in her life!

my mother does this too! she has a twitter and tumblr account as well as facebook. i'm sure if she has a smartphone she would have an instagram account.
I don't post things anywhere public that I wouldn't want my parents seeing, mostly because the same stuff that I wouldn't want them to see, I wouldn't want potential employers to see either.

but it definitely gets a bit much to just have NOWHERE that she can't "see" me.

my mom is a pretty objectively cool "adult", she's a year in to being vegan and intelligent and not like, posting random things all over the place, but it's just overwhelming sometimes because she'll ask me why I didn't "like" a status or reblog/respond to a tumblr post or respond to or favorite a tweet. I follow so many people on these various platforms I don't scroll through everything.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

ashley wrote:

Hooboy. This seems to be a big baby boomer thing, I notice it with my parents and in-laws and my friends experience the same thing with theirs.

I think it's that, to our generation (and yes I know that some people here are boomers but I assume most people are 20-40ish on the boards), it's just sort of normal polite behavior to wait for someone to bring something up in person before referring to it. I don't know why, and it's not like it's rude to read somebody's fb stuff, but you just don't want to appear to be too closely following someone, right? 'Cause that's not cool. Unless maybe you commented on/liked it specifically.

But our parents just don't seem to get the whole playing it cool thing, maybe it's generational and maybe it's because they're our parents, so they'll just bring stuff up, or if you try to tell them something happened they'll be all "oh i know I saw the pictures on facebook" and then it's just, fine, nevermind then.

And also my mother-in-law has a tendency to infer weird things from my posts that I didn't even HINT at, and then call up in a panic. I don't think I'm one of those people who posts really vague intimations that everything is terrible and I am about to snap. (I'm not) So I don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my mom makes comments on everything that does not need a comment from her, especially since i call her nightly!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lobsteriffic wrote:
Ariann wrote:

My Grandma totally does this. She's 83, so it's pretty rad she's even on Facebook.

He's in his 70s and not so hip with the Internet, so I guess I should think it's rad. I delete the comments and give him a call when he does that. He announces major life things that way, it is very weird.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My mom went through this phase where she thought everything on her fb feed was things people had shared with her personally. So she's facebook friends with the college-aged children of several of her friends, and they post pictures of themselves being college kids and drinking a lot and she is under the impression that they take these pictures and want to show them *specifically* to their parents' friend.

She also goes through her feed making judgmental comments about things people post, which I find irritating. But she does that in real life, too; it's not facebook-specific. Like making comments to me about people wearing too much makeup or not dressing how she thinks they should, or whatever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1976 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next