| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how's that resolution going? brag, support, no shame plz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I am not a super fan of resolutions, so instead of that i'm gently trying to be more conscious/present and less critical in everything I do. I figure that's enough.

I was doing pretty well today, when the usual work BS began (pre-Monday, when everyone is back to work) and I wanted to be very unpleasant.
I didn't press send, and I'm moving forward.

How are you folks doing?

Post subject: Re: how's that resolution going? brag, support, no shame plz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made two resolutions. One is to get good at baking vegan cookies. So far I've made 2 kinds, and they were both awesome. So check!

The second is to not let clearly false statements made in social media go unchecked. I am polite, but I don't just ignore it anymore. So far I have posted two links to snopes, offered actual facts to combat myths about soy milk and tofu, and had several people who know of my resolution ask me to fact check and provide responses to wack-a-doodle relatives of theirs who like to post nonsense. So, doing well on that one too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

DEG wrote:
I made two resolutions. One is to get good at baking vegan cookies. So far I've made 2 kinds, and they were both awesome. So check!

The second is to not let clearly false statements made in social media go unchecked. I am polite, but I don't just ignore it anymore. So far I have posted two links to snopes, offered actual facts to combat myths about soy milk and tofu, and had several people who know of my resolution ask me to fact check and provide responses to wack-a-doodle relatives of theirs who like to post nonsense. So, doing well on that one too.

I think that's an interesting and cool resolution. Misinformation spreads so quickly over Facebook. I used to think it was silly, but it definitely worries me. I overheard some grown up ladies (in their 40s maybe?) discussing Facebook, and how it invades their privacy because they heard that you would 'get in trouble' (your account frozen? who knows) for deleting a certain number of people from your Facebook friends. Which is insane. I wanted to say something, but kept quiet.
Good on you for stopping the spread!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

torque wrote:
I am not a super fan of resolutions, so instead of that i'm gently trying to be more conscious/present and less critical in everything I do. I figure that's enough.

I was doing pretty well today, when the usual work BS began (pre-Monday, when everyone is back to work) and I wanted to be very unpleasant.
I didn't press send, and I'm moving forward.

How are you folks doing?

Be patient with yourself when trying to change thought and behaviors. It takes time, especially if they're deeply ingrained by years of repetition. It does happen, but not overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 5 days. Go me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My resolution to run at least twenty miles a week has gone well so far! I got worried because it was under 25 degrees out a couple of times this week, and I can't bring myself to run when it's that cold, but I managed to squeeze in two longer runs this weekend, so I'm good.
My resolutions to be nice and to not be a dick have gone okay, too.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Yay people getting shiitake done!!!!

thanks pyewacket, i figure i have trained myself to be a snark for almost 40 years now, it's not going to change overnight, or easily....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My big one was getting more stuff done around the house (mainly to get out of my old uni student mindset and, you know, make it look more like a place where actual adults live). So far I've done a ton of cleaning, framed and hung a heap of artwork that was just sitting around, and bought a bunch of organisational stuff (like baskets to hold miscellaneous bits and pieces). We also bought a new (not used!) couch and a big chair to replace the gross old ones that our dogs chewed on, and they actually match and everything! It seriously took a lot of control to buy the nice, matching things and not the giant, rotating circular armchair that fits four people.

Alas, I have not mastered cartwheels yet. There's still time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

NEVER TOO LATE FOR CARTWHEELS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

DEG wrote:

I think that's pretty cool.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i want to keep my schedule written down in my planner, keep better track of work hours in there, etc.-- i'm self-employed.

i'm trying to not drink coffee for the month of January. i suppose that's a resolution of sorts. sometimes i drink too much and it worsens the anxiety i already have. we'll see!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It's not really a resolution, but I realized recently that I should devote more time to arts and crafts. I've been letting others things get in the way, and I really need that creative outlet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Let's see...

1. Avoid overcommitting - well, I haven't committed myself to anything new so far.

2. Read for pleasure every day - yes!

3. Finish translating the IQA rulebook into Indonesian - haven't done any work on this all week. :(

4. Relationship stuff - doing fine.

5. Choose a reasonable weekly for hours of study, and reach it more weeks than not. - still on holiday, though I should probably be studying Arabic on my own these holidays if I want to pass this year...

6. Wash the dishes at least once every 48 hours (when I'm at home). - just got home last night, so, uhh... guess I'd better wash the dishes soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

Mine was to take care of myself (as usual),
and also: to see a new place everyday (like, everyday I have to discover a new place: street, bar, museum, whatever)
so far I managed; it really is a cool resolution

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aubade wrote:
I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 5 days. Go me.

I totally ADMIRE you. Go you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:12 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I read this thread title as "how's that revolution going?" and was like, "so far, so good!"

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm kicking sugar and caffeine this year, but I'm looking at it as my goal for 2013, not "starting on January 1st not a crystal of sugar shall pass these lips!" Just gradually cutting out stuff bit by bit so that this time next year my daily life is sugar and caffeine free. Not to say I won't get a latte or a cupcake now and then, but as a treat rather than a routine.

I actually started mixing my caf with decaf about a month ago, and am doing full decaf when I order out. Since I started eating better and getting into workout mode again, a couple of days I haven't had any coffee at all! On the right track! :) So far I've fed my daily sugar craving some chocolate soy milk and on the worst day a few chocolate chips. It's an improvement!

I love the cool and creative resolutions you guys chose! Maybe I need to add one...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

No caffeine, no booze, no gluten. So far, so good! I'm also nixing sugar, but I'm not so sure for how long. I feel awesome without all that stuff though!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't often make resolutions and when I do I rarely stick to them. I'm doing something a little different this year. I'll focus on creating one new habit or goal a month. What has works best for me is keeping a record and tracking whether or not I complete the new habit each day. I'll make each task relatively easy to complete so that instead of dreading it each day, it will be so simple that I will likely even end up doing more. This idea came from a zenhabits post sometime in 2012 I think.

I need to finish my continuing education to renew my RN license at the end of the month, so I had a goal to finish at least one unit each day. So far I've done that and have even done several units on most days. I normally procrastinate in the worst way so I'm happy with myself so far. It's motivation to do extra so I can start working on more exciting things.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i'm doing meh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I started to do a cartwheel, but I was afraid and didn't I'm going to try somewhere with more room. I thought the hallway would be good, but I started to worry it was too narrow.

I have several resolutions I've been working on forever, and some are going better than others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

I didn't really make any. The last few years I have made goals for the year instead of resolutions. I guess I didn't even really do that either, besides running and tri goals. I should have something outside of that. But I am definitely going to at least try a cartwheel. After my marathon because I am afraid of injuring myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I haven't done any cartwheels yet, but I think I only need about 8 to beat last year, so there is plenty of time. But this thread reminded me of them, so maybe I'll go outside and do some tomorrow.
I've already written about half of a poem. I guess I could end it where it is, but I think it's got more to it that needs coaxing out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I made a few goals/resolutions for different parts of my life.

For yoga:
Teach a course on practicing yoga at home
Lead a spring yoga retreat
Recommitment to daily chanting and pranayama, in addition to my asana practice
*maybe* teach a course on chapter 2 of the yoga sutras, later in the year

For my blog:
Make my presentations at VidaVeganCon super awesome!
Work on a foods+family blog idea I have
Cook from some of the cookbooks I've never used

In general though, my number one resolution for this year is to connect more deeply. Connect with my husband, connect with myself, connect with my yoga practice, with my friends... Less tuning out and more tuning in. Work on this front is going okay. At least I am encouraging myself to notice the quality of how it feels to zone out, and how it feels to really connect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 am 
Nailed to the V

Made one slip - for some reason I didn't remember that lattes do, in fact, have cow's milk in them. Other than that, I'm good. (My resolution was to eat vegan all year.)