| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I just deactivated my Facebook
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

AlwaysHungry wrote:
It's not that I didn't enjoy FB, but I was checking it at every available moment out of boredom... further facilitated by my iPhone.

I guess I just feel it pulling me away from real-time interactions with people. Or maybe it's a symptom. I dunno. Anyway, I'm trying to break away from it to become more present as a friend.

AlwaysHungry wrote:
Upside: I'm already more active on the PPK this week than I have been in years!

Not meant to criticise, but aren't you replacing one internet distraction with another internet distraction?

It could be possible that FB is not a time-suck, but just a distraction over the internet that didn't fulfil your needs, which you now trying to fulfil with other internet activities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I actually was in a similar boat...where I thought that I might delete my facebook completely. But, with my best friends, we like to share photos on there from when we hang out, I do communicate with one of my friends on there using fb messenger (since she doesn't have a cell phone, she sends me messages from her computer to fb messenger on my phone, so it's like she's texting me). I did decide that it was time to delete a lot of the "friends" (people from high school that I wouldn't even talk to if I saw them on the street!) and co-workers from my fb. I have to say...some of my co-workers were really offended and even a bit angry that I deleted them! Even though I told them that I deleted all co-workers. I guess I just would like to keep my professional and private life separated...and some people don't seem to understand that. Oh well, what can you do!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have the philosophy of "your friends and family don't trust you, and why should they?" ie, when I post something important to me, there is no incentive for my family to click to link and learn more about me unless they were looking to do that anyway. My sister--awesome-- we read every link we send each other, email or facebook, and have deep, lasting friendship no matter how far apart we are, hand-written letters or text messages (rivers, mountains, valleys, all that). I used her as an excuse to stay on the time suck.

The rest? FB was just a place to read about their interminable marriage drama (as I have as well but I don't dare share it with people I barely know! No less family members who are happy to dismiss me endlessly).