| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adopt-a-Mars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mars wrote:
I've heard great things about it for sure, and I'm quite fond of the idea of the south.

Yeah, it can be... challenging? Nashville is a blue county in a sea of red.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah mars! you can come hang out wherever I end up, the offer for couch sleeps and waffles isn't limited to portland! I'm just not going to be in this particular apartment after july and have nooooo idea where i'm headed next.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

strawberryrock wrote:
celyn wrote:
Are you for sure leaving? If you want to stay in PDX and you want to be in SE I have a lead on a really cute little apartment.

I know some people looking for an apartment, you should PM me details!

Will do!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Everyone's offering such great things. I can't say much but try this: Boston's got a fancy vegan restaurant, a veggie diner, vegan ice cream, a vegan pizza joint and more. also, me. And VFR and b.vicious & ndpittman and many others. Obviously, you need to come here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

lillianp wrote:
Everyone's offering such great things. I can't say much but try this: Boston's got a fancy vegan restaurant, a veggie diner, vegan ice cream, a vegan pizza joint and more. also, me. And VFR and b.vicious & ndpittman and many others. Obviously, you need to come here.

and VFR's dogs. hint hint. come play with my puppies!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Mars! I am actually looking for a roommate RIGHT THE fork NOW but that is probably not on your timetable. Alas!

I'll try to sell you anyway, though! Come move to Chicago's fine Logan Square and live with me and my two awesome roommates, one of whom is an awesome community organizer and now one of my dearest friends. She and I met through the Craigslist when I needed a new roommate like 2+ years ago and we like living together so much that we are on our second apartment together. My other newer roommate who moved in this summer runs her own micro-publishing house and teaches French classes and gives tours of Chicago downtown. Doing your dishes and cleaning the toilet is great, but our main effort in looking for new housemates is to try to fill our house with creative and ambitious (and friendly) people. We have a pantry that is huge (the same size as my admittedly very small bedroom) which we fill with books and friends and couchsurfers who come to visit. We have snuggly and adorable kitties. One of them will jump on your shoulders whenever you're least expecting it. My other darling roommate is about to move back to Boston because he just finished his Ph.D and is looking for philosophy professor jobs, and also because his love lives there. Otherwise we'd gladly keep him.

We also like our neighborhood/block so much that my longtime roommate and I moved across the street from our old house in 2011; you can literally see our old house from the new apartment's living room window. There's an awesome bodega less than a block away that continually has a larger and larger produce section, soymilk and almond milk, fresh made tortillas from one of Chicago's fine local tortillerias that cost 10 cents for a package of 12 that are often still warm from the factory, and any canned or dry staples you might need. And an awesome, very divey bar on that same corner that has free karaoke on Saturday nights. And two much larger cheap and awesome Mexican supermarkets only about a half mile away. And the best fancy cocktail bar that nobody who's not from the neighborhood knows about, with shuffleboard and classy jazz music that I like and super delicious drinks.

Chicago has all the amenities of any large city (great museums and nice art scene, music scene, multiple queer dance parties every month, etc.), is pretty bike friendly and getting friendlier all the time, plus it has the friendliness of the midwest. Lots of people comment when they come to visit here or first move here that they're pleasantly surprised by how friendly and helpful strangers are. Plus I think it has better overall job prospects and lower rent/general cost of living than most other places I would consider living.

Ok, are you convinced yet that you should move in by February???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Wow, I want to move to Chicago now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I might get a rented room as I will have a long commute and I might want somewhere to stay closer to work one or two nights a week. In SEATTLE. Consider me! It would be temporary, affordable and as awesome as needed. Maybe we should meet first. <3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I can only offer very temporary lodgings (sleeping pad on floor style) in Asheville, but I can make delicious tofu things!
If I didn't live in a dorm I'd love to have you as a roommate, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Why on earth would you want to leave Portland Mars? Portland is vegan heaven. I dream of moving to Portland, and not just for all the good vegan eats. It feels oddly like home, like the place where I belong. Portland feels so deeply right, I can't imagine anyone choosing to leave. I'm basing this on 3 days spent in Portland, so I understand that I could be missing something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Portland is ok but it isn't the be all end all. Ain't no phyte like a bryophyte down south.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You could move in with me, I have a spare room and am awesome drinking company! Plus room rent would be cheap. That said, I live in Canada, but not a good, vegan friendly part. And I live sort of in the middle of no where - the only places within walking distance are a coffee place and Walmart. So, that blows hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:23 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

lillianp wrote:

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
lillianp wrote:

and VFR's dogs. hint hint. come play with my puppies!

Nah, man, Boston seems awesome! I just don't really think that 6/700 is ever going to be workable for me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 am 

electric_claire wrote:
Mars! I am actually looking for a roommate RIGHT THE fork NOW but that is probably not on your timetable. Alas!

I'll try to sell you anyway, though! Come move to Chicago's fine Logan Square and live with me and my two awesome roommates, one of whom is an awesome community organizer and now one of my dearest friends. She and I met through the Craigslist when I needed a new roommate like 2+ years ago and we like living together so much that we are on our second apartment together. My other newer roommate who moved in this summer runs her own micro-publishing house and teaches French classes and gives tours of Chicago downtown. Doing your dishes and cleaning the toilet is great, but our main effort in looking for new housemates is to try to fill our house with creative and ambitious (and friendly) people. We have a pantry that is huge (the same size as my admittedly very small bedroom) which we fill with books and friends and couchsurfers who come to visit. We have snuggly and adorable kitties. One of them will jump on your shoulders whenever you're least expecting it. My other darling roommate is about to move back to Boston because he just finished his Ph.D and is looking for philosophy professor jobs, and also because his love lives there. Otherwise we'd gladly keep him.

We also like our neighborhood/block so much that my longtime roommate and I moved across the street from our old house in 2011; you can literally see our old house from the new apartment's living room window. There's an awesome bodega less than a block away that continually has a larger and larger produce section, soymilk and almond milk, fresh made tortillas from one of Chicago's fine local tortillerias that cost 10 cents for a package of 12 that are often still warm from the factory, and any canned or dry staples you might need. And an awesome, very divey bar on that same corner that has free karaoke on Saturday nights. And two much larger cheap and awesome Mexican supermarkets only about a half mile away. And the best fancy cocktail bar that nobody who's not from the neighborhood knows about, with shuffleboard and classy jazz music that I like and super delicious drinks.

Chicago has all the amenities of any large city (great museums and nice art scene, music scene, multiple queer dance parties every month, etc.), is pretty bike friendly and getting friendlier all the time, plus it has the friendliness of the midwest. Lots of people comment when they come to visit here or first move here that they're pleasantly surprised by how friendly and helpful strangers are. Plus I think it has better overall job prospects and lower rent/general cost of living than most other places I would consider living.

Ok, are you convinced yet that you should move in by February???

You're certainly doing a pretty dern great job! I'm thoroughly tempted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:40 am 

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Why on earth would you want to leave Portland Mars? Portland is vegan heaven. I dream of moving to Portland, and not just for all the good vegan eats. It feels oddly like home, like the place where I belong. Portland feels so deeply right, I can't imagine anyone choosing to leave. I'm basing this on 3 days spent in Portland, so I understand that I could be missing something.

I really love it here, I mean, I chose it over Vancouver BC! But I just want to experience other cities and want some change... I absolutely consider this home though, now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Shantylass wrote:
I can only offer very temporary lodgings (sleeping pad on floor style) in Asheville, but I can make delicious tofu things!

I...didn't know there was another PPKer in Asheville! You did put "bat country" as your location though, so that might be why.

Too bad you only have temporary lodgings because I know someone looking for a room in a vegan house.

pandacookie wrote:
Portland is ok but it isn't the be all end all. Ain't no phyte like a bryophyte down south.

Awwww shucks! You know, I don't think I've made sushi since you moved away! Guuuh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
Has a Guru

You're welcome here. 2500 square feet in suburbia with three fur monsters. Within an hour and a half from Atlanta, half hour from Birmingham, three to Nashville, four to New Orleans! I'd have to insist on awesome underwear dancing nightly. For science.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 am 
Huffs Nooch

lycophyte wrote:
Shantylass wrote:

I...didn't know there was another PPKer in Asheville! You did put "bat country" as your location though, so that might be why.

Too bad you only have temporary lodgings because I know someone looking for a room in a vegan house.

I'm sure we can't be the only ones. I mean, it is Asheville.