| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Blizzard Thread!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Is everyone in the northeast US ready for this monster storm that the news outlets won't shut up about? Here, gather round the fireplace with me, and tell me your tales of blizzardy woe.

This morning we evacuated all the cats out of the shelter and transported them to the vet hospital. The roof over the cat rooms is very weak and has collapsed before, so we didn't want to take any chances this time. So that was a huge pain. My mother is actually sleeping in a trailer on the shelter grounds tonight. I am in a nice warm house and I have soup and toilet paper and flashlight batteries, and I may feel a tiny bit guilty when I think of my mom sleeping in a tiny metal trailer (it's the kind they use on construction sites)!

The snow is getting heavier now. How is it where you are? Anyone afraid of getting stuck at work?

Post subject: Re: The Blizzard Thread!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It is raining here still but we're supposed to get 8 - 12 overnight. I'm assuming we'll have power since we didn't lost it during Sandy so I'm just all excited to go sledding tomorrow! Weeee!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here in Brooklyn it snowed a little bit this morning, but so far it's mostly been gross sleet. I'm curious to see how much snow we actually get, since they're forecasting a foot, which is quite a lot for this area! I'm at home today but getting stuck at work or whatever is a reasonable concern, so for folks who are still out and about you should probably head home as soon as you can.

We didn't experience any power or utilities outages during Sandy, but we've since moved to a new place so it'll be fun to see if the power goes out here. By "fun" I mean I hope it doesn't, but I have flashlights and candles galore if it does.

Everybody be safe!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

bah I had to come in to work and yeah the sleet stuff sucks...I walk a little under a mile to the subway in Brooklyn and just got pretty damn wet. Now I can see from my office window that it is snowing pretty nicely now in Manhattan - not looking forward to walking home from subway tonight if it's anything like that last blizzard. I've already sorta suggested that I should leave early but my boss is just oblivious (and yeah kinda selfish since he lives 8 blocks from the office). Hmmph.
I hope everyone has a nice cozy safe night ahead of them!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 pm 

I get to work from home today! It's snowwwing. A lot. already. I'd say an inch or two on the ground, but there's a lot of 'snowing with purpose' going on if that makes sense?

But I'm cozy inside, have power and am rising bread. I'm hoping I get to keep power, but have water in water bottles and a big pot if it comes to that. And I'm cooking beans in my slow cooker on the assumption that if I do lose power, it'll be after the beans are done, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

It's been snowing here in Worcester since about 9:30 this morning, and I'd say we have about 3 inches on the ground right now; it's very fine, fluffy snow, but there's a lot of it. I can already hardly see across the street, and they're predicting anywhere from 18-24" by the time it blows out of here tomorrow. We have lots of food and booze, firewood, books to read, and cozy pets, so we're happy to hunker down at home for the weekend - right now I'm drinking wine in my pjs and thinking about what I'd like to cook. Meanwhile, it's hilarious to watch the news media lose its collective shiitake and make up ridiculous portmanteaux like SNOWMAGEDDON, SNOWPOCALYPSE, SNOWMERGENCY, etc. I'm just waiting for someone to blurt out SNOWLOCAUST to make the hysteria complete!

Also, this:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i6zaVYWLTkU[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I can't believe how much people are flipping out over the prospect of 2-3 feet of snow. I know last winter and this current winter have been really mild, but guys, this is New England. Two feet of snow is what happens in winter in New England. We've been through it a billion times before. Everyone take a deep breath and calm down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
Chip Strong

I have to admit that I'm a little bit jealous, since I love snow. But I only love it if it's harmless and everybody up north stays perfectly safe and warm. I'll be thinking of you guys, as I look out the window and wonder if it's going to rain here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh, RC, i hope your mom has lots of blankets. she's a dedicated lady.

it's been lightly drizzling all day. so light, i ran all my errands without an umbrella.

last month, we discovered that the entire first floor's electrical outlets (except for the kitchen) aren't grounded (not even the boxes. gotta love old houses), so i'll be unplugging everything if it starts to get too stormy. we're lucky nothing happened during the past 2 hurricanes. our neighbors have one of those big cylinders on the power pole in front of their house, so...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:36 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

THANKS, SNOWBAMA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I can't believe how much people are flipping out over the prospect of 2-3 feet of snow. I know last winter and this current winter have been really mild, but guys, this is New England. Two feet of snow is what happens in winter in New England. We've been through it a billion times before. Everyone take a deep breath and calm down.

I suppose that's true, but it's still a pain in the asparagus when it happens! I grew up in Massachusetts and I can remember a couple of winter storms that knocked out the power for multiple days... for me it was sort of fun at the time, because we were all used to it and we would light fires and sing songs in the dark and shiitake. It probably drove my parents nuts though. I think people are getting extra-worried because Sandy wasn't that long ago, a lot of people are still rebuilding from that, and a storm of this size presents another opportunity for severe coastal flooding and lengthy power outages. Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:59 pm 

Limone wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

I suppose that's true, but it's still a pain in the asparagus when it happens! I grew up in Massachusetts and I can remember a couple of winter storms that knocked out the power for multiple days... for me it was sort of fun at the time, because we were all used to it and we would light fires and sing songs in the dark and shiitake. It probably drove my parents nuts though. I think people are getting extra-worried because Sandy wasn't that long ago, a lot of people are still rebuilding from that, and a storm of this size presents another opportunity for severe coastal flooding and lengthy power outages. Yay!

Quoted for both y'alls truths. I'm not worried-I live not right next to the ocean (a couple miles in) in Boston proper-ish, so even if power goes out, I'll probably get it back fairly quickly. I'm just going to blame lack of funding for NOAA, really. And the tendency of media to overdramatize things these days. (in my opinion-there isn't necessarily any truth to it!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

supercarrot wrote:
oh, RC, i hope your mom has lots of blankets. she's a dedicated lady.

I just talked to her, and the police are making everyone leave the property tonight, so she won't be sleeping in the trailer. We'll just have to cross our fingers that the road will be cleared enough tomorrow morning so that volunteers can get to the shelter to take care of the dogs. My mom talked to the department of public works and asked them to please help us out by plowing that street (they tend to neglect it because it is a small dead-end street).

I like snow, so I'm excited for the storm (as long as no one gets hurt)! There hasn't been enough snow to build a snowman or go sledding for a really long time! And I can finally try out the snowboots I bought with my xmas money!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

No school, no work (the after-school program does remain open on snow days, but not if it's really bad), which is good, because I'm kinda sick and needed the sleep. I'm PPK-ing and homework-ing in bed with tea, which is thoroughly cozy. Stay warm, everyone!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ah, looks as if the real snow has begun here. Just looked out the window and some big fat flakes are falling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's been blizzarding all day here.. A bunch of places in the city are closed but my office is still open.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

in a rare showing of common sense my office closed at 11:30 and sent everyone home. usually we are there long past when they declare a state of emergency. the roads were fine on my way home but it's really coming down now. not a lot of accumulation but it's snowing really hard.

in MA you have to be off the road by 4 or you get a big ol fine.

we're pretty much lounging around the house. we tried to get the dogs to play outside in the snow and they were liek "meh"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 pm 

Limone wrote:
Ah, looks as if the real snow has begun here. Just looked out the window and some big fat flakes are falling.

Here too! (I'm right across from Staten Island, can actually see the outbridge from my backyard, so we're close).

I'm pretty impressed - the weather report I read this morning said the cold front would hit around 3pm and things would quickly devolve after that. Here it is 3:40 and sure enough the rain has turned to snow. Right on time!

I'm really glad my boss let me work from home today - driving an hour on the icy, snowy turnpike between 4:30 - 5:30 would not have been fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Cozy as fork at my house. I hope everyone stays safe and warm and doesn't lose power. I should fill a bucket water just in case like I was planning to do. The only thin I've been really doing is trying to stay off my devices so I can keep them charging in case there's a power outage. I needed some PPK though!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh i should plug in my phone huh.

i hope we dont lose power cause that's boooorrrrriiiinnnnngggggggg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love days like this! Though I still have to work because I work from home anyhoo, but I can see what is usually a very busy street from my balcony and today, it's dead because who wants to be out in this madness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Back to slush. Now they're forecasting 7-9" for NYC. Pathetic! (OK, not really.) A guy on the local news is demonstrating the wetness of the snow to the station's meteorologist, and I am tempted to have a glass of wine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i feel like i should have used all this time i had that wasnt at work to do something constructive but mostly ive been flopped out on the couch.

it's snowing REALLY fast right now. still only like 3 inches but the weather people are still in a frenzy that we are all gonna die tonight of snowmageddon.

my husband has been calling it a snowicane cause he thinks he's funny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Been snowing pretty good all day here in western NY, too. Snowplow guy came just before 3 and I was surprised at how much snow there was already. I'm wondering if he'll come back again tonight. I just remembered I'll probably have to shovel an area in the back yard for Cammie to go to the bathroom in. She's ok when the snow isn't too deep, but I think we're already past her threshold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I left work at 8 last night and the dumping had already taken shape. It has not stopped since then and all day today snow has been really heavy. I'm happy because we out down $400 on snowmobile insurance and trail passes and hubby had only been able to use them once so far, so this amount of snow means good trails for the next while. Everyone is home today because if the snow, so no complaints on this end. Fireplace is going, have a bag of tostitos handy and chihuahuas on my lap while watching bad movies on Netflix. Plus I am three glasses of wine into today so I'm a happy camper.