Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

How do you pronounce (insert word here)?
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25199
Page 6 of 6

Author:  Gulliver [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

I've just discovered your ä and ă are from an American phonemic transcription system used in dictionaries and that what CQ said did match up with what he wrote. I've never seen that kind of transliteration system before! I'm used to the IPA, which the OED uses (also I have a linguistics degree and IPA is the standard transliteration system in academia). Confusion resolved!

Author:  interrobang?! [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

fruitbat wrote:
tigerpants wrote:
From Ireland, not Britain, but I would say 're-NAYG' also, like this: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=e ... rch=renege

According to that site 're-NAYG' is the British pronunciation, thanks. I asked about English (as in from England) specifically since the non-Americans answering were from Ireland and Scottland... at times vowel sounds differ (as I'm sure you know).

Ruby Rose is English! (and has the most delicious voice I have ever heard)

Author:  choirqueer [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

Gulliver wrote:
I've just discovered your ä and ă are from an American phonemic transcription system used in dictionaries and that what CQ said did match up with what he wrote. I've never seen that kind of transliteration system before! I'm used to the IPA, which the OED uses (also I have a linguistics degree and IPA is the standard transliteration system in academia). Confusion resolved!


Yeah! That was how I learned it in like...2nd grade? Haha, glad you figured it out!

Author:  Ruby Rose [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

interrobang?! wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
tigerpants wrote:
From Ireland, not Britain, but I would say 're-NAYG' also, like this: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=e ... rch=renege

According to that site 're-NAYG' is the British pronunciation, thanks. I asked about English (as in from England) specifically since the non-Americans answering were from Ireland and Scottland... at times vowel sounds differ (as I'm sure you know).

Ruby Rose is English! (and has the most delicious voice I have ever heard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoS5X4SMrY

Author:  interrobang?! [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

Ruby Rose wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
According to that site 're-NAYG' is the British pronunciation, thanks. I asked about English (as in from England) specifically since the non-Americans answering were from Ireland and Scottland... at times vowel sounds differ (as I'm sure you know).

Ruby Rose is English! (and has the most delicious voice I have ever heard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoS5X4SMrY

:( I thought that was going to be that scrummy vid of you doing talkings again. Sad panda.

Author:  starrynight87 [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

mumbles wrote:

I thought it was ah-sigh?

Author:  mumbles [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?


Author:  booberthefraggle [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

so in maine they tend to say "ah" sounder as "er" (camer-er, americ-er etc) so my friend was recently telling me how traumatic is was when the movie "volver" came out, because it sounds exactly the same when someone with a mainer accent says "vulva."

pronunciation fun facts!

Author:  acr [ Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

booberthefraggle wrote:
so in maine they tend to say "ah" sounder as "er" (camer-er, americ-er etc) so my friend was recently telling me how traumatic is was when the movie "volver" came out, because it sounds exactly the same when someone with a mainer accent says "vulva."

pronunciation fun facts!


parts of massachusetts do the "ah" for "er" swap, too. i guess we have to put all those dropped r's somewhere.

but . . . vohl-vair.

Author:  choirqueer [ Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

booberthefraggle wrote:
so in maine they tend to say "ah" sounder as "er" (camer-er, americ-er etc) so my friend was recently telling me how traumatic is was when the movie "volver" came out, because it sounds exactly the same when someone with a mainer accent says "vulva."

pronunciation fun facts!


what, no! accent on the second syllable in "volver", first syllable in "vulva"! how would they sound alike??

Author:  booberthefraggle [ Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

choirqueer wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
so in maine they tend to say "ah" sounder as "er" (camer-er, americ-er etc) so my friend was recently telling me how traumatic is was when the movie "volver" came out, because it sounds exactly the same when someone with a mainer accent says "vulva."

pronunciation fun facts!


what, no! accent on the second syllable in "volver", first syllable in "vulva"! how would they sound alike??


sorry I should have clarified that average maine folks aren't pronouncing volver with the accent in the right place to begin with

Author:  fruitbat [ Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

interrobang?! wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
tigerpants wrote:
From Ireland, not Britain, but I would say 're-NAYG' also, like this: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=e ... rch=renege

According to that site 're-NAYG' is the British pronunciation, thanks. I asked about English (as in from England) specifically since the non-Americans answering were from Ireland and Scottland... at times vowel sounds differ (as I'm sure you know).

Ruby Rose is English! (and has the most delicious voice I have ever heard)

How did I miss that? Now I'm curious about what this voice sounds like...

Author:  Ruby Rose [ Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

fruitbat wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Ruby Rose is English! (and has the most delicious voice I have ever heard)

How did I miss that? Now I'm curious about what this voice sounds like...

From the old "I want to hear your accent thread":
http://vocaroo.com/i/s01FUsqaQEJO
And 'bang is too kind - it's not that special!

Author:  EmperorTomatoKetchup [ Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

unionized. even though my background is in the sciences i always read it as "yoon-yun-ized".


Ruby Rose wrote:
From the old "I want to hear your accent thread":
http://vocaroo.com/i/s01FUsqaQEJO
And 'bang is too kind - it's not that special!

it's expired! :(

Author:  acr [ Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
unionized. even though my background is in the sciences i always read it as "yoon-yun-ized".


i'd always read it like that, even in the context of chemistry or some other scientific writing. it's a situation where a hyphen can make all the difference and probably should be insisted upon.

Author:  EmperorTomatoKetchup [ Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: How do you pronounce (insert word here)?

acr wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
unionized. even though my background is in the sciences i always read it as "yoon-yun-ized".


i'd always read it like that, even in the context of chemistry or some other scientific writing. it's a situation where a hyphen can make all the difference and probably should be insisted upon.

yeah, like unionized water collectively bargains for non-reactive storage containers or something.

Page 6 of 6 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/