| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Walk of Shame
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

living in residence on campus at my university, i see many 'walks of shame'.
i associate the phrase with girls (or guys, but it's usually girls) carrying more clothes than they're wearing, so it most likely involved the removal of and having to hastily put on said clothing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Doesn't have to include sex where I've heard it used. (I'm not in the US though, so maybe it differs?) I figure that 'out all night having drunken sex' and 'was too drunk to get home, passed out on someone's bathroom floor' probably look pretty much the same to the outside observer. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

biorobotics wrote:
living in residence on campus at my university, i see many 'walks of shame'.
i associate the phrase with girls (or guys, but it's usually girls) carrying more clothes than they're wearing, so it most likely involved the removal of and having to hastily put on said clothing.

Oh yes, when you are no longer wearing the fishnets you had on the night before and your pantaloons are in your bag, you are doing the walk of shame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I never understood why it alluded to sex either. Because why would someone be ashamed of having sex...and if it was sex with someone you were ashamed of banging...the walk of shame would only be away from their house until youre far enough to know no one saw you leave the horrible persons place?

This also seems to mostly apply to women...I guess because if its 8am and youre walking to the bus or whatever holding your heels in your hand and your hair and makeup are all knarly and maybe you smell like cream tang? I dont know.

If you dress like a bum like I do you always look like you were out all night so no one thinks anything different

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm going to have to agree with your friend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've always thought of it as involving sex you wish you hadn't had. if you hook up with someone awesome and get some rockin' nookie, no shame. if your beer googles steer you into the arms of someone you'd never speak to sober, shame--especially if you have to go home the next morning to be jeered at by friends and/or roommates who knew you went home with that person and will mock you about it 4-eva. it's shame about the bad hookup and the ridiculous level of inebriation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 pm 
Dildo Queen

tomorrow is our artist pub crawl. i hope i get to do a walk of shame.
actually wait. that's not going to happen, because i'm sleeping over at my friend melissa's house, and i have to go to work the next morning, omg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

amandabear wrote:
mel c wrote:
For me, it includes sex. The shame isn't from the sex, but the fact that you didn't have access to your own bathroom and are sitting on the train with raccoon eyes, a rat's nest, fuzzy teeth, and a jacket that someone spilled beer on.

Yep, this. Sex is part of the package, but mostly the shame comes more from being drunk-gross early in the morning while everyone around you is clean and heading to work.

Yep, I agree with this definition. At least, it's how I've heard it used. In college it often referred to walks the day after big campus-wide theme parties. Disco walk-of-shame in a polyester jumper, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:07 am 
Saggy Butt

i think it has to include both drinking & sex -- although i suppose just looking like you've done both is enough. as long as the viewer is going to assume you've been out drinking & having sex, it doesn't matter what the truth is.

WhiskersGal wrote:
WORST walk of shame ever.....The day after Halloween at University of DE my freshman year. It's 10am in the morning, and I am stumbling across campus in the dominatrix costume I wore out the night before, while the campus is packed with people getting to class. My hair was a disaster with no hair tie to put it up, my heavy dark eye makeup was smeared all over my face, and I'm in knee high boots, snakeskin black booty shorts, a tubetop, and carrying a whip. Worst 15 minute walk of my life.

that is definitely the BEST walk of shame ever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:20 am 
WRETCHED

Am I the odd one in that I've only heard 'walk of shame' from this message board? I've never heard of it before.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:05 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I always felt like THE walk of shame alluded to walking home the morning after a drunken one night stand. But the term walk of shame can be used for any walk that you feel shameful about--like the airplane example

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i think the walk of shame usually includes sex, but not always. although if you were so stupid drunk that you couldn't get home, it's kind of a waste if you didn't at least get off while you were at it. partying all night until the morning doesn't count though, there has to be a period of passed out or sleeping to make a proper walk.

i think the walk of shame is mostly a university or college term though, cause you're generally living in close quarters with a bunch of other people your age that you're friends (or frenemies) with, so your every move is pretty well documented. a walk of shame wouldn't be as obvious if you lived in a proper house in a real neighbourhood cause who would know or care what you were wearing last night or who you went home with? it's the intensity of walking down your dorm hallway dressed in your knee high boots, torn stockings, wrinkled dress, bleary contacts and scruffy hair at 10 am when EVERYONE knows who you were last seen with that really makes for the "shame" part of walk of shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i once had a walk of shame home from another country. well, it wasn't as much a WALK of shame, as a boat-and-traintrip of shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
i think the walk of shame usually includes sex, but not always. although if you were so stupid drunk that you couldn't get home, it's kind of a waste if you didn't at least get off while you were at it. partying all night until the morning doesn't count though, there has to be a period of passed out or sleeping to make a proper walk.

i think the walk of shame is mostly a university or college term though, cause you're generally living in close quarters with a bunch of other people your age that you're friends (or frenemies) with, so your every move is pretty well documented. a walk of shame wouldn't be as obvious if you lived in a proper house in a real neighbourhood cause who would know or care what you were wearing last night or who you went home with? it's the intensity of walking down your dorm hallway dressed in your knee high boots, torn stockings, wrinkled dress, bleary contacts and scruffy hair at 10 am when EVERYONE knows who you were last seen with that really makes for the "shame" part of walk of shame.

or you live in a small city where theres really only one good neighborhood to live in so everyone you know and everyone you spend your night of shame with lives within 10 blocks of each other and you always.get.caught.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

I lived in a dorm two years, one seemed to be nookie central, The other seemed to have a lot of non party type peeps. Maybe people were doing the 'walk of shame' from my dorm and I wasn't aware of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 am 
rowdily playing checkers

For me the walk of shame is going commando and then realizing that my fly is unzipped.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

just mumbles wrote:
For me the walk of shame is going commando and then realizing that my fly is unzipped.

Now that sounds entertaining!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I always think that the walk of shame includes sex. However, it isn't the fact that you got drunk and had sex that is shameful, it is that you had sex with someone who didn't care enough to give you the courtesy of driving you home the next morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I also think it includes sex, however I've always found it to be a more prideful than shameful time.

I prefer to call it the Strut of Pride.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

Stride of Pride*

Worst one: You know how when youre drunk, you can walk forever and it doesnt matter? I dressed up nice for the night out, and wore a pair of shoes my feet weren't particularly used to. We walked from bournemouth town centre to southbourne, which is -looks up on google- 5 miles, an hour and a half walk (how fast is the google walking guy?!). My feet bled like hell, and I also got injured by the guy who's house we were walking to in a way I could only put in the sex injury thread. More failing happened when we finally got there, the least of which being the guy was off his face on ketamine and had lost his front door key, so we had to vault the back fence and get in that way. I got a shower in the morning, saw the blood and obscene amount of blisters on my feet, scrounged some bread and vaulted back over the fence. Me and the guy were talking, but as he didnt have a key, he couldnt actually leave the house. THEN I realised I'd somehow spent all my money. I have no sense of direction, no knowledge of the area, blood all over my feet, wearing a clubbing outfit and..yeah. 3 hour walk of shame.
Not much shame, more pain.
19 year olds do it worst. Beat it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Zoey wrote:
I always think that the walk of shame includes sex. However, it isn't the fact that you got drunk and had sex that is shameful, it is that you had sex with someone who didn't care enough to give you the courtesy of driving you home the next morning.

I think we hit the nail on the head right here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:32 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

VegeMite wrote:
Zoey wrote:

I think we hit the nail on the head right here.

What if they're car-free? Is it still a walk of shame? What if I only fork environmentally conscious cyclists?

What if I myself cycle home from their house still wearing the remnants of a saucy pumpkin costume the day after Halloween and stop at the grocery store where I get alternatingly oogled at (by older dudes) or judged (by older ladies) and don't feel one iota of shame because (consensual) sex and shame don't belong anywhere near each other?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Alien wrote:
Stride of Pride*

Worst one: You know how when youre drunk, you can walk forever and it doesnt matter? I dressed up nice for the night out, and wore a pair of shoes my feet weren't particularly used to. We walked from bournemouth town centre to southbourne, which is -looks up on google- 5 miles, an hour and a half walk (how fast is the google walking guy?!). My feet bled like hell, and I also got injured by the guy who's house we were walking to in a way I could only put in the sex injury thread. More failing happened when we finally got there, the least of which being the guy was off his face on ketamine and had lost his front door key, so we had to vault the back fence and get in that way. I got a shower in the morning, saw the blood and obscene amount of blisters on my feet, scrounged some bread and vaulted back over the fence. Me and the guy were talking, but as he didnt have a key, he couldnt actually leave the house. THEN I realised I'd somehow spent all my money. I have no sense of direction, no knowledge of the area, blood all over my feet, wearing a clubbing outfit and..yeah. 3 hour walk of shame.
Not much shame, more pain.
19 year olds do it worst. Beat it.

AMAZING! Weird: My last walk of shame also involved scrounging bread from dude's kitchen and hopping a fence in a neighborhood that was completely foreign to me! (I was 90 miles from home, so no walking.)

The only unifying factors in my walks of shame have been:
a) I was already disgusted by the person I had just spent the evening with, and
b) my underwear and/or bra were balled up in my purse or back pocket.
For me, the "shame" part only ever resulted from having dallied with someone I couldn't dream of having a meaningful conversation with, and/or someone I hooked up with just so they'd leave me alone. Both of these are probably more depressing than shameful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

j-dub wrote:
What if they're car-free? Is it still a walk of shame? What if I only fork environmentally conscious cyclists?

Can the cyclist give you a ride on the handlebars?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sex.

And you have to stay overnight.

To legitimize the walk of shame you have to involve a third party. Usually a roommate, friend, or kids having breakfast...god forbid it's his/her parents house! That's the time you realize you probably won't find your other sock and should just leave.