| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: what the fizzle Clintons?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that almost sounds like a cheer or maybe a song.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
So what is wrong with pasta primavera? I mean, I'm not the biggest pasta fan but it doesn't sound bad?

Nothing is wrong with pasta primavera itself, it is just lacking in excitement and protein. Also, it is very often the only thing that is offered at banquets, so it gets old fast. Like, maybe throw some seitan in there for the prez! Or better yet, make him tamales. Just saying tamales because that is what I want right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Now I want tamales! And the place I used to buy vegan ones at closed up (they weren't Mexican style but still good enough in a pinch).

I think I'm the only vegan that has never been offered pasta as my only option some place. I've had many other amusing options, just never pasta.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They should have tried the Drunken Monkey. It's a coffee place that has great vegan sandwiches and it open late.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kimba wrote:
linanil wrote:
So what is wrong with pasta primavera? I mean, I'm not the biggest pasta fan but it doesn't sound bad?

Nothing is wrong with pasta primavera itself, it is just lacking in excitement and protein. Also, it is very often the only thing that is offered at banquets, so it gets old fast. Like, maybe throw some seitan in there for the prez! Or better yet, make him tamales. Just saying tamales because that is what I want right now.

i found as a vegetarian that was like the only thing you ever got at a wedding, function, or chain restaurant. soggy pasta with droopy vegetables, no seasoning.

i even was told for the work Xmas party this year i would get "vegan pasta primavera!!!" the manager in charge of planning the party was so excited. it was fancy looking pasta primavera but the vegs were not cooked (yum raw sweet potatoes) and i realized half way through eating it it was swimming in butter. :-(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah, pasta primavera is the go-to meal for most caterers, because it's simple, easy to make and doesn't really take much time away from the "real" meals for the other patrons. (also, it's super inexpensive.)

i bet this chef has no idea that he failed. i'm sure that constructive criticism is never given. so "president approved" when coming from the establishment isn't really much of an endorsement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the rainbow chard stuffed thingies sound pretty yummy potentially

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 am 

Billclintonbillclintonnottheserversfaultbillclinton.

I may have gotten my summoning wires crossed just now.

Come on Bill! Grace us with your presence!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
kimba wrote:
linanil wrote:

i found as a vegetarian that was like the only thing you ever got at a wedding, function, or chain restaurant. soggy pasta with droopy vegetables, no seasoning.

i even was told for the work Xmas party this year i would get "vegan pasta primavera!!!" the manager in charge of planning the party was so excited. it was fancy looking pasta primavera but the vegs were not cooked (yum raw sweet potatoes) and i realized half way through eating it it was swimming in butter. :-(

I just think it's boring and such a cliche vegetarian meal. It's the same as getting the steamed vegetable plate. Lazy!

I went to a work thing last week and the vegetarian dinner option was pasta primavera. I asked for a vegan version, specifying this meant no dairy...so I got a plate of plain pasta with steamed broccoli and carrots on top. NO SAUCE. MMMM....sticky dry pasta and sad overcooked veggies, yum!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am 

honestly, i'd rather have the steamed vegetable plate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 am 
WRETCHED

Obviously you guys have never been given a huge plate of rice with nothing else or.. other things. I wish a caterer had given me pasta in the past (except spaghetti) but it hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:51 am 

i once got an entire head of cauliflower. (i don't remember if it was cooked or not.) not cut or anything. just a head. nothing else.

and then at my sister's wedding, where i was maid of honor, first they offered my husband and i lasagne, and then we had to wait until after everyone else was done eating, and then they brought out overboiled vegetables. that was nice. (and to make it worse, i was sitting at the long table up on the stage with the rest of the party, and unclegramps was sitting with randos)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

Ha! and I guess pasta is more a novelty for me because I rarely eat it, once or twice per year, usually when I feel bad enough for my husband to make it. Otherwise, I don't get pasta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had an amazing veg and pasta dish at my cousin's wedding. She went to her caterer before the wedding and made certain I would have something. It came out with everyone else's food and looked about 1000X better.

But I also love pasta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

linanil wrote:
Obviously you guys have never been given a huge plate of rice with nothing else or.. other things. I wish a caterer had given me pasta in the past (except spaghetti) but it hasn't happened yet.

Yeah I'm having a hard time even thinking of a time when I got an actual complete meal like pasta primavera. Mostly it's like a side of broccoli and carrots. Almost never a starchy thing.

I feel like everyone's being too hard on the chef! I wouldn't consider that dinner a fail. It actually sounds like he tried. Sometimes it's better to stay away from seitan or tofu when you're unfamiliar with it and cooking for a former president.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Vantine wrote:
But I also love pasta.

And that too. My feelings are hurt by any pasta being considered a fail.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 am 

maybe it's just because pasta is one of those meals i make when i can't think of anything else, and there are no fresh veggies in the house to make anything more nutritious. (also, you can make 6 servings for $2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love pasta too, but seriously I've been served pasta + veggies about 5 times in the past year alone, when dining out at omni places. My issue with it is as someone said, lack of protein. It's one of my vegan pet peeves that options at fancier places never include any source of vegan protein. I wish they would just throw can of beans on top of pasta along with the veggies, I'd be pretty happy then.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 am 
WRETCHED

supercarrot wrote:
maybe it's just because pasta is one of those meals i make when i can't think of anything else, and there are no fresh veggies in the house to make anything more nutritious. (also, you can make 6 servings for $2)

Yeah but his had grilled fresh veggies and what not. Sounded pretty good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:49 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I'm sure it was delicious and completely filling and wonderful, but it's so expected. Omnis can go to 5 different weddings at 5 different places and never get the same thing twice, but I'd likely get pasta primavera at each of them. Why can't I get those little baked potatoes I see on everyone's plate with grilled tofu and some sauteed spinach? How about a nice chickpea curry over rice? ooh or chickpea picatta! I'd even settle for some mashed potatoes with grilled portobellos and broccoli. anything different really.
It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Actually I'm remembering now, one time I went on a dinner cruise for work, and the vegan option was white rice, veggies and tofu. it wasn't very good, it was all mushy and tasteless, but at least it was different.

And- another time years back my dad insisted on taking me to to a wild game restaurant, and the chef actually made me this delicious meal of red rice, grilled seasoned tofu and veggies.

So to be fair, I have had some decent non-pasta dishes at unexpected places.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am 
WELFARIST!

joyfulgirl wrote:
It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.

This is what amuses me more than anything. Bill deals with what we do when omnis are at a loss as to what to do about vegans and go to the default.

Although...I am serving pasta to my guests this weekend...pastistio, greek salad with cashew feta, baguette with garlic butter, tarte tatin with vanilla soy dream. And they have eaten, seitan, tempeh and I'm making them tofu scramble for breakfast. And they have loved it all!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

joyfulgirl wrote:

SIGGED!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

supercarrot wrote:
yeah, pasta primavera is the go-to meal for most caterers, because it's simple, easy to make and doesn't really take much time away from the "real" meals for the other patrons. (also, it's super inexpensive.)

It's always my luck that they try to make up for the inexpensiveness of the dish by giving me 10x as much food as everyone else. So I'm sitting there trying to politely munch through this trough of unseasoned vegetables, while everyone around me has long since finished dessert. (No biggie, I wasn't going to get a dessert anyway, or it would've been cantaloupe.) And they're all staaaaring while I eat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't hate pasta, it's just overdone, like the only thing vegetarians eat is pasta with veggies. At sooo many omni restaurants pasta primavera is the only veg option on the menu. How crazy happy would I be if instead of noodles & veg if just one place had vegan ravioli or vegan gnocchi! Or yeah, just added some beans or something.

The best wedding meal I ever had was a beggars purse stuffed with delicious roasted veggies. It was pretty, tasty, and unique!

The worst I ever had was at my husbands best friend's wedding. It was a buffet with like 30 different types of meat (they fricking hired some dude to even cut slices off a meat log for people in line), pre-dressed Caesar salad, oysters, buttery mashed potatoes, buttered rolls, and steamed broccoli. I ate an entire plate of unseasoned steamed broccoli. Aaaaaand the wedding went from 11 am - 12 am, was out of town, and I hadn't thought to pack an energy bar in my luggage. I was a total grump and fainted on the dance floor! I actually would have been happy to get pasta that time /pity party :)

This country is too focused on meat/dairy being the focal point of a meal. Which is why veg'ns get stuck with pasta, plain rice, and crappy salads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next