Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Chipotle testing tofu
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25284
Page 1 of 7

Author:  LisaPunk [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Chipotle testing tofu

is this for real?

excuse me i need to go put my house on the market and move to the left coast.

also what is "shredded" tofu?

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5380&catId=8

Author:  GraciaKai [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

I really hope this takes off and they spread it out to all of the stores!

Author:  LisaPunk [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

if Chipotle offers tofu burritos im in BIG trouble.

Author:  lutin [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

AWESOMESAUCE.

Author:  ameyfm [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

LisaPunk wrote:
if Chipotle offers tofu burritos im in BIG trouble.


ha ha! yeah, I saw something about this online yesterday. I already really love Chipotle... this would be super awesome!!

Author:  joyfulgirl [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

This would be super! sometimes we order from chipotle at work and tofu would be fantastic. although then I'd have to pay for guacamole...

Author:  bexsa [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

If it actually tastes like anything, this would be great. I've found too often that mainstream restaurants' idea of tofu is bland and gross. For example I've had mellow mushroom pizza with tofu, and they just diced it in huge chunks and plopped it on top. My vegan kids who love tofu tasted it and then refused to eat it. I love chipotle though so my fingers are crossed!

Author:  LisaPunk [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

ameyfm wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
if Chipotle offers tofu burritos im in BIG trouble.


ha ha! yeah, I saw something about this online yesterday. I already really love Chipotle... this would be super awesome!!


yeah this! i love their veggie burritos and my husband is basically obsessed with Chipotle and we have one very close to our house!

bad news!!!

Author:  brian [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

This article http://www.brandeating.com/2013/01/news ... ption.html compares the preparation to that of the barbacoa beef. I never had it, but my friend loves it. I don't think it's really Chipotle's way to make a bland tofu when everything else there is pretty heavily seasoned.

I would be totally thrilled if this showed up at my local Chipotle! Moe's does tofu in their burritos but the closest Moe's is an hour away, and their tofu is pretty lightly seasoned. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bland, but it isn't thrilling.

Author:  lobsteriffic [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Oooh I'm going to be in SF in March!! I must try!! Fingers crossed they take this to all Chipotles in the near future.

Author:  Ariann [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

This is exciting. I actually like Moe's tofu in its burrito context (haven't tried it straight).

Author:  missmuffcake [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

They tested a vegan strip a few years back (Gardein) but it seemed not to catch on. I hope the tofu does though!

Author:  ijustdiedinside [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

brian wrote:
This article http://www.brandeating.com/2013/01/news ... ption.html compares the preparation to that of the barbacoa beef. I never had it, but my friend loves it. I don't think it's really Chipotle's way to make a bland tofu when everything else there is pretty heavily seasoned.

I would be totally thrilled if this showed up at my local Chipotle! Moe's does tofu in their burritos but the closest Moe's is an hour away, and their tofu is pretty lightly seasoned. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bland, but it isn't thrilling.


oh really? It seems like Moe's is opening up a bunch of locations in NY and one is opening a few blocks away. That's good to know. I'll take lightly seasoned tofu over no tofu, I guess

Author:  DarthCupcake [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

I intend to hit up Chipotle as soon as this lands.

Author:  brian [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

ijustdiedinside wrote:
brian wrote:
This article http://www.brandeating.com/2013/01/news ... ption.html compares the preparation to that of the barbacoa beef. I never had it, but my friend loves it. I don't think it's really Chipotle's way to make a bland tofu when everything else there is pretty heavily seasoned.

I would be totally thrilled if this showed up at my local Chipotle! Moe's does tofu in their burritos but the closest Moe's is an hour away, and their tofu is pretty lightly seasoned. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bland, but it isn't thrilling.


oh really? It seems like Moe's is opening up a bunch of locations in NY and one is opening a few blocks away. That's good to know. I'll take lightly seasoned tofu over no tofu, I guess

Moe's is kind of great because when you walk in, the employees are supposed to shout "WELCOME TO MOE'S!" except half of the time, they're only half paying attention so it ends up being "welcome to moe's."

Author:  quagga [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

lobsteriffic wrote:
Oooh I'm going to be in SF in March!! I must try!! Fingers crossed they take this to all Chipotles in the near future.


But if you're in SF, you have so many other amazing vegan food options instead of Chipotle!

I would love to see a tofu option catch on! I love their bean burritos, but options are good.

Author:  ashley [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Eating at Chipotle when I'm in SF? Unlikely.

Eating at the Chipotle by my office in Sacramento? ALL THE TIME. I would be there weekly for a tofu burrito bowl. At least.

Author:  Amy [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

brian wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
oh really? It seems like Moe's is opening up a bunch of locations in NY and one is opening a few blocks away. That's good to know. I'll take lightly seasoned tofu over no tofu, I guess

Moe's is kind of great because when you walk in, the employees are supposed to shout "WELCOME TO MOE'S!" except half of the time, they're only half paying attention so it ends up being "welcome to moe's."

I have to try really hard not to giggle when I walk in there. Something about knowing they are about to do that- because they have to- cracks me up, so I go in all "Don't laugh, don't laugh, straight face". It doesn't work.

I think their tofu is really bland, but I love tofu and appreciate that they have it so I get it anyway. Nothing a little hot sauce can't fix.

The Chipotle tofu sounds good!

Author:  dakini [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Chipotle is already one of my favorites, so if this took off I might go from enthusiast to addict.

Author:  nickvicious [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Is the "shredded tofu" is supposed to be from yuba or shiritaki? Is it possible that Chipotle chefs even know such things exist? Has anyone tried running tofu through a mandolin? Can I stop asking questions? Also, I'm perfectly fine with just lightly fried, cubed tofu in my burritos. Salsa it up!

Author:  Nebraskalaska [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

missmuffcake wrote:
They tested a vegan strip a few years back (Gardein) but it seemed not to catch on. I hope the tofu does though!

Ugh! That whole thing pissed me off. They only had it at random locations, and oftentimes never had signage or menus saying that they had it. And then they wonder why it didn't do well!

Author:  Ariann [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

nickvicious wrote:
Is the "shredded tofu" is supposed to be from yuba or shiritaki?


Whoa. That would be amazing.

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Nebraskalaska wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
They tested a vegan strip a few years back (Gardein) but it seemed not to catch on. I hope the tofu does though!

Ugh! That whole thing pissed me off. They only had it at random locations, and oftentimes never had signage or menus saying that they had it. And then they wonder why it didn't do well!

I had the Gardein once in NYC and it was really good. But yes, I'm suspicious that they won't really give the tofu a fair shot since it seems like they didn't market the Gardein too well.

Author:  missmuffcake [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Ugh! That whole thing pissed me off. They only had it at random locations, and oftentimes never had signage or menus saying that they had it. And then they wonder why it didn't do well!



It was kinda lame. We heard it was in Sacramento so we went to a location in Sac to only find out it was outside Sac in Roseville...We did not drive there though...

Author:  DarthCupcake [ Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Chipotle testing tofu

missmuffcake wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Ugh! That whole thing pissed me off. They only had it at random locations, and oftentimes never had signage or menus saying that they had it. And then they wonder why it didn't do well!



It was kinda lame. We heard it was in Sacramento so we went to a location in Sac to only find out it was outside Sac in Roseville...We did not drive there though...


Yeah, they tested it in weird suburban areas and whatnot. I think testing the tofu in SF is going to go much better because it's a bigger audience and more people who give a crepe about tofu.

The truth is, yes, there are plenty of other places in SF I love going for burritos (I don't think I've had Chipotle once since moving here), but I will totally go give it a try so that I can then write an enthusiastic letter to them demanding that they keep it. VegNews will probably try it and do the same if it's good. THEN we can tofu at Chipotle everywhere. And that's my real motive here.

Page 1 of 7 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/