| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friends moving, need care package ideas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I need help with a care package for a couple of our best chums who are packing up and moving to British Columbia! But I'm stuck for ideas. So on Monday they are driving across country to their new home. I want to send them on their way with some stuff for the drive, maybe something for their two cats who are also making the drive, and something for them to save for when they arrive.

He is a recovered alcoholic so he doesn't drink, so I'm thinking a couple nice root beers, some chocolate chip cookies...but then I have no idea. What would you like to receive if this were you?

Post subject: Re: Friends moving, need care package ideas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Maybe a photo of you guys in a cute frame or some other memento from where you live? So there can be a little piece of their old home in their new home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

Road tripping for me is all about the snacks. Hmmm... if you share musical tastes with them (or if, unlike me, you are creative enough to create a themed playlist relating to moving or driving or something,) you could burn a cd for them to listen to? Something practical might be some wet wipes or something; I tend to feel grimy after hours of driving (and snacking) and being able to clean my hands is nice. There's gotta be a few other small practical items that it would be nice to have at one's fingertips during a car ride but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I like the cookie and root beer ideas! I would maybe add some nice nuts and dried fruit, candy, jerky, mad libs, chips, or whatever they would like. When I do long drives I get the munchies. Maybe a fun guide to BC's parks and museums and trails? An awesome mixed CD for the road is always welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love the cd idea, very good call!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I love the idea of snacky things and mad libs! So awesome. I also love the idea of making a soundtrack for the drive. She's a sort of well-known Canadian indie folk singer (google Olenka and the Autumn Lovers for folky goodness) so connecting through music is always a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

ahhh i've done that drive. clif bars probably saved my life.

so i'd say some sort of stash of really calorie dense snacks... if they're going through canada/northern ontario, the whole way there's a lot of secluded stretches where it's pretty slim pickings. plus maybe if they're packing up their whole house, thinking about packing food might fall by the wayside?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I always stock up on all the things already mentioned for long car trips, along with popcorn, but I also pack some carrots, tangerines and other sturdy fruits and veggies to balance out the starch and sugar of the other snacks. My son goes further than I would and packs along a red cabbage and eats it leaf by leaf!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

All great ideas already. I really enjoy listening to books on cd and stand up comedy routines on long car rides. If you know what authors or comedians they might enjoy, that sort of thing might be a good idea too. Maybe a couple fun new cat toys to keep the kitties occupied? Perhaps one of those neck pillow things they sell at airports for whichever one of them is not driving. I like to nap when I'm the passenger.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 am 
Nooch of Earl

A CD is a great idea (or audiobook, etc) and maybe some snacks for underway but unless you have something really compact/small, I would either give it to them like a week ahead of time so they can plan accordingly OR just instead send them a housewarming care package at their new address. I say that because we move often, and it is always a giant clusterfork as it is to reduce the amount of stuff we're carrying around. Particularly when traveling with an animal (or a kid for that matter) there's so much basic gear that you need that it's just a tough squeeze for space. I always find that we have a ton of extra stuff hanging around after the moving vans are packed up and if we're driving, we end up squeezing it in the car.

Magazines to read underway, maps/travel guides of a new home can be nice (esp if they have some kind of special interest - we often buy hiking, veg*n, and cycling guides to wherever we live if they're available).. Are they veg*n? If so I would definitely include some kind of nonperishable protein sources - those hummus squeeze tubes from wild garden, jerky or the vetana (sp?) slim jims, mixed nuts, peanut butter individual tubs (to put on bagels etc).. Tartex pate, maybe.

If they're not veg*n they can eat easily along the way for meals but would probably appreciate more snack-y things, but if you go with cookies I would make sure they're non crumbly and non-melty. Chocolate can be really messy in a car. Maybe something like the pb-oatmeal giant cookies from VWAV?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

don't forget the cats! maybe a new blanket to keep them feeling good for a long ride!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I know wet wipes were mentioned upthread, and I think this is a great idea! Also a roll of paper towels (use as napkins, to clean up messes, etc), and/or maybe some disinfecting wipes or spray in case they're staying in a hotel along the way?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Old Dutch chippies in every (vegan) flavour. :) It's essential for a cross Canada road trip!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:08 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Yes to CDs and food! Hearty muffins and granola bars last well. If they like puzzles and silly games like me, they might enjoy something like the road trip box I made once that included connect-the-dots, coloring pages (with crayons), a word search (you had to find all 50 states, but I didn't write all the states so you gotta remember them), and one of those coded quotes where the letters are replaced by numbers and you have to figure out which number stands for which letter. It also had silly putty and play doh and mad libs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:13 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Oh and for the CDs, in addition to music, if they're not the type who listens to podcasts all the time this would be a good introduction. A couple of episodes of radiolab or the moth would be really entertaining.