| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Random Acts of Kindness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday I dropped off a basket of fruit to my tattoo artist and today I got Ethiopian food from a cart that made me want to hug the owner and bring her so many flowers. There are some truly outstanding bus drivers on my line too.. I just want to do nice things for people because life is hard sometimes and kindness goes a long way.

What kinds of things do you do for others or want to do? (mostly I want to steal your ideas)

Post subject: Re: Random Acts of Kindness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I mostly just bake cookies! i brought cookies to a bus driver (although i never got to give them to him because he changed bus lines). I used to bring cookies to the professors that I loved or crochet them a little animal or fruit. I crocheted a bird for a patient at a nursing home who I became friends with when I interned there and he almost cried, which made me cry.
So, bake cookies or make a craft! that's pretty much all I got. But even just writing a thank you note is kind of awesome, too. I bet if you made a cute card for the woman at the food cart about how much you loved the food and the service, she'd be super happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I send out pandacare packages of baked goods and homemade craft fun. You never know where I will strike next.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

pandacookie wrote:
I send out pandacare packages of baked goods and homemade craft fun. You never know where I will strike next.

KAPOP oil and loafs? YESPLZ.

I like this thread. I bake for people. If I think they are "plant people" then I will also give them cuttings from my plants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also bake, especially for clients who don't expect it and/or rarely have people do nice things for them. the responses are usually so amazing.

when we travel i often bring people things from my garden, seeds they can't get where they live, things like that. i haven't knitted for anyone lately but as it gets toward winter i will again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I work at a small college and see a lot of students counting their pennies. I sometimes buy a meal for a student, when I can do it anonymously. For instance, if I see a student ordering a breakfast at the grill, I'll tell the cashier (they all know me) that I want to pay for a breakfast and a drink and point to the student. I leave them roughly the correct amount and they use any leftover money for free coffees and teas for students. Then I hot-tail it out of there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I bake things, and last year I gave people who I know like to garden seeds for interesting plants I was growing.

I personally really enjoy receiving flowers, like my friend brought over last night. They're just so cheery and wonderful.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I bake and cook for people often. Many of my friends are in college now and if there's a club event going on, I'll bring cookies or cupcakes for everyone. I also send cards and care packages to friends for various holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 am 
Semen Strong

Desdemona and VoR have sent us such thoughtful gifts. They make our day. <3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm so glad all of you are in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I like making food for people when they don't expect it. Sometimes a little treat goes a long way to make someone feel loved and valued, and we all need that.
That reminds me, I've got some baking to do. <3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

If someone is short change in the line in front of me I will pick up the rest of their tab. I make chocolate treats for people. Send out cards. If I see someone in need of something I can ship cheaply from the US I will send them that...I give compliments!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Add me to the list of bakers! I'll bake for pretty much any occasion, and often for none. I also give people homemade jams when I've got some around. I cleaned out my stockpile over Christmas so I need to get onto making some more!

Yesterday my boss complimented me on the emails I send out at work and said that she wants me to look over her important ones before she hits send. I never thought they were particularly special, but I always make an effort to use full sentences and thank people and be generally pleasant. I guess that's rare where I work! But being friendly makes such a difference in building good relationships and getting the best from people, so I don't understand why it's so uncommon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think complementing is a lost art; also, being kind and welcoming? I get a lot of compliments on that for the volunteer coordination I do (from higher-up coordinators). And both the people I volunteer with and I feel pretty good noticing so many good qualities all around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I cook/bake to love people. I'm a mom in my late 30's and lots of my friends are single, much younger and in a place of transition so I'm everybody's mom which I love. I also get to return wallets, phones, bags of groceries, lost children to lost and found very often. It usually involves going out of my way only a little, but I'm trusting that someone will do this for me when I need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This might be dumb because who knows if they see it but sometimes I go on craigslist missed connections and say stuff like - the gas station clerk at so and so has such a great smile. Or - so and so looked like they were having a great time and it helped me have a better day. etc

-alice1drland